Motorola V710---is it even worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 AM
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 164 Posts
Motorola V710---is it even worth it?

I am coming up on my renewal for a new phone with verizon. I currently have an lg vx4400 phone that has voice dialing....I am pretty happy with it overall. I have seen many complaints about the v710--is it worth it to have? Its the only bluetooth phone I think verizon has and its still pretty expensive. Is the whole deal you can use your cars speakers to talk back and forth? I guess I am wondering if its just a cool gadget to have or is it really much more useful than having just a voice activated phone.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, I think so...

I think it was worth it... Now after rebates and promo's and the like, the phone came to about $140. All in all, much less than the "sticker price." I've had mine for about 2 months or so.

Other than waiting for the new firmware to come out so that the battery, etc shows up in the MID, there have been no problems with the phone...

Call clarity on both ends is good. My wife also has a V710, and she uses the speakerphone feature all the time in her car (NOT a TL) and gets very good results. The camera is lacking but, hey.... They're pictures. It's a phone after all.

As for working within the TL. I have had NO dropped calls and no problems whatsoever... I use it all the time and it is nice to not hold a phone. Very cool as well... Impress the friends! LOL

Hope this helps...
Old 01-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

It's a pity Verizon's only BT Phone is the V710. I got my phone for less than a $100 after rebates and all that. I agree completely with Darkwraith's comments. The camera, what can you say ...... They're supposed to be getting a different phone, but who know how long that will take. Or you can opt for a different service and see what they have to offer.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the V710 in December & found I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It is now easier to make & receive calls in my car than in my home or office. The sound quality over the speakers is great & having to hit one button to receive or send calls is not only much safer than picking up a phone, it is easier as well. Also, integrated with the navi you can often call locations-- stores, restaurants, etc. very easily.

I've seen good prices on the V710 on this site. I was able to get $100 off for renewing with Verizon & $50 off for buying it off the web. It was easy to install the number from a home computer.

If you want to wait there will be some Samsung phones with blue tooth out later this year on Verizon, but these will be high end smart phones.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doctored5
I've seen good prices on the V710 on this site. I was able to get $100 off for renewing with Verizon & $50 off for buying it off the web. It was easy to install the number from a home computer.

If you want to wait there will be some Samsung phones with blue tooth out later this year on Verizon, but these will be high end smart phones.
I'm a little confused. (as usual). I'm about to renew with Verizon, and I didn't know I could buy my phone on the web. what 's the url?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Is the camera worth a damn?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
SSgt, USAF

when are those smart phoners coming out? I'll qualify for a cheap price with Verizon in July, so... will those be available by then?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a v710 a month ago. Took it back 3 times to get one with a keyboard that didn't have keys with problems (some keys didn't have any click on them). Screen is great, but overall feels much cheaper than any LG phone I've had. Keypad moves around, so I'm still not that happy with the build quality. There is a new replacement e815 coming out mid-late next year.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what do you mean...replacement, an update that is a newere version of the phone that we can trade in...or just a newer model?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

oh wow...i just looked up the phone... that looks like an amazing phone...i hope that they pull our phones off the market and replace them with these....

http://www.mobiletracker.net/archive...-e815-approved
Old 01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by baby_igor
Is the camera worth a damn?
Not really... Mediocre pics at best... I didn't really care about that as a driving factor to get/not get the phone though...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:33 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
what do you mean...replacement, an update that is a newere version of the phone that we can trade in...or just a newer model?
Sorry for confusion. It is newer model that will replace the v710 (same
basic shell, but more memory, better keypad etc. See link below.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5673.html
Old 01-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

uch...that angers me so much, the V710 is worth the bluetooth, but the phone itself is such a piece of shit.... its not right that people pay around 400 dollars for this phone or even around 100 dollars with rebates and it has so many problems, my phone freezes all of the time when taking a picture, the bluetooth dosn't work right when you display it on the HFL screen, and not to mention the loose keypad....there are just so many problems.....
Old 01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Don't buy Motorolas at all. Verizon will come out with the new VX800 that will have BT along with 1.2 MP camera and TV and a bunch of stuff. I'm getting it to replace my VX6000.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

i think motorola is one of the best phone companies out there, the only problem is, Verizon dosn't leave room for flexability because they want to disable certain bluetooth abilities because they want you to pay for them in the long run, thats how verizon fucks things up.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Sorry you folks are having trouble withthe V710. So far, mine has behaved better than expected and works well with the TL. I really appreciate going handsfree rather fumbling withthe phone while driving!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

its not the bluetooth that is the problem...i think the bluetooth is great, but thats the only thing i like about the phone...thats the only reason i GOT the phone...for the reasons of the AUTOMATED VOICE DIALING and the BLUETOOTH...out of the many features this 500 dollar phone has i only use 2 of them...
Old 01-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Instructor

AsianRage you have your info wrong. The vx8000 does not have bluetooth. No LG phones in North America do. Take a look at Phonescoop they have all the details on this phone. It's also just as big as the damn v710.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

Hey guys,
This is my first post. I just wanted to let you know that Amazon has the V710 for
-$20 after rebate with 1yr activation.
-Jim
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Instructor

I have not had any problems with my phone, no loose keyboard and is much better quality than the antiquated phone i had before this one... i love it
Old 01-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abwolf13
AsianRage you have your info wrong. The vx8000 does not have bluetooth. No LG phones in North America do. Take a look at Phonescoop they have all the details on this phone. It's also just as big as the damn v710.
incorrect ... the new sprint LG phone is bluetooth enabled
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
incorrect ... the new sprint LG phone is bluetooth enabled
The VX8000 has no bluetooth in it. It does have EVDO which verizon is having an issue with right now anyway. It also doesn't have the trans flash memory slot either. The 710 is a great phone and price for the features it has.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimboe04
Hey guys,
This is my first post. I just wanted to let you know that Amazon has the V710 for
-$20 after rebate with 1yr activation.
-Jim
Deal is now dead. Web site says it's discontinued or out of stock.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:29 AM
Lurker Extraordinaire

Short summation:

VZW business model -- move all data over their network, charge users. If technology becomes available that allows data transfer through some other cheaper means (i.e. BT), disable technology. Consider pictures to be data, bundle camera with every phone, charge for picture mail. Make non-photographers carry around giant camera phone so they'll buy picturemail just to justify phone size.

Verizon network -- Simply the best. However, once Cingular/ATT catches up, what advantage will VZW have? "The biggest, dumbest phones in the business" what a catchy motto...

V710 -- early BT technology includes some glitches. That's the price of being first. Everyone knows that you don't buy the first model year of a car, right? Still, the speakerphone is awesome, the voice dialing is surprisingly good and the phone is steady. However, it has a crummy battery, esp when BT is active, and an even worse camera (note to VZW, if you want to bundle a camera and charge people for downloading pictures, might it not make sense for those pictures to be worth downloading???). ALso, it's about twice the size of the phone it replaced, the excellent Samsung a530. Boy do I miss my teeny little phone now.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

I haven't paid much attention to the V710 moaning in about a month, but seeing as how I've had a V710 since the end of November, and I've had it upgraded to the most recent firmware (which is fully Handsfreelink compatible) . . .

What the heck is all the bitching about? The camera? I wish it didn't have it either, but the phone works very well. I never use the camera.

The phone works perfectly. I have never had a dropped call, bad voice quality, or anything. When I ask them, callers can't identify whether I'm using HFL or the handset. The caller ID, battery, and signal strength information is reliably transmitted to the dashboard. It's not so small you'll lose it. It's unobtrusive on a belt clip.

ONCE Cingular/ATT catch up . . . it'd be nice if all the catching up they had to do was with network coverage. ATT and Cingular individually had awful customer service when I had phones with them; I have no reason to think they're all that much better now, given the fact that stuff like CU's ratings of carriers give top honors to VZW even if you ignore coverage.

So . . . just a (minority) dissenting opinion. I've had no trouble with Verizon, and no trouble whatsoever with the V710. Yeah, it has a stupid camera. If you want a camera, but a friggin' camera; actual cameras are up into the 9 Megapixel range.

Not to ruffle the feathers of the detractors, but hey, the phone's not all that bad. Go pick it up for yourself and decide if you think it's too big.

Stuart
Old 02-01-2005, 06:49 PM
9th Gear

I agree with Sturob. I love the speakerphone. Flashed the phone with the SuperDave firmware, and it works fine with the Hands Free Link, as well as BT synchronization with MS Outlook, etc. No quality issues. It appears to have a stronger radio than other phones I've owned, to the extent that it causes interference with wireline phones and even my computer monitor when it rings. Gets good reception in out of the way places. What's not to like?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:02 PM
17/TLX/Adv/FBP

It is growing on me, but I really hate the feel of the keypad. Some keys have no tactile feel (I took 3 back that were worse than the one I have now), and keypad is loose and moves around. Feels cheap. Display is great though!

Carl
Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Intermediate

Sounds like they might have some SERIOUS quality-control issues, which isn't good.

But, at least people have been able to exchange the bad ones.

Stuart
Old 02-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Instructor

Just an FYI.

I called Verizon yesterday and the firmware upgrade is still not available. I hope the firmware upgrade will enable me to upload contact and calendar information. With the exception of the bluetooth, I can get the same functionality with a free phone, with more battery life, and won't be such a beast (big flip top). I love the V600 but hate GSM service in the US.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Help, my V710/Verizon does NOT show the battery strength etc. info in the MIDI just the number called and in use. Am I doing something wrong? Would love to have all of that "other" info show. Also does not show a number on an incoming.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by Driftychick
Help, my V710/Verizon does NOT show the battery strength etc. info in the MIDI just the number called and in use. Am I doing something wrong? Would love to have all of that "other" info show. Also does not show a number on an incoming.
That is a known problem... (Many threads on the topic if you use search) Once the new firmware is available for the phone that should be fixed. There are some "DIY" firmware updates available that make it work, but they involve flashing the phone yourself.

Just wait... The Big V will have it eventually...
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Pro

I'm dumping Verizon!

My Verizon contract is up in two weeks and I'm dumping the damn company with its horrible phones and equaly horrible sound quality!

For the last several days I've been testing AT&T Wireless/Cingular service with the SE T637 Bluetooth phone. To say that I'm very impressed would be an understatement. I get better signal and WAY better sound quality everywhere I go and I haven't experienced a dropped call yet!

I got my phone and service from Amazon.com for $45 and it comes with $270 worth of rebates from Amazon and AT&T. This means that I'm MAKING $225 on this phone purchase! Eat this Verizon!

Setting up Bluetooth took 30 seconds and I was off placing and receiving calls. Sound quality is great and I get both the signal strength and battery meter in the MID. Battery life on the phone has been very good too.

If your contract with Verizon is coming up for renewal, I highly recommend switching to AT&T Wireless/Cingular and good/cheap equipment.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bollywood21
I called Verizon yesterday and the firmware upgrade is still not available.
That's really strange. I got the firmware upgrade at my local Verizon. When I called Verizon in December '04, they told me it was available then, but I didn't get into the store until this week.

Maybe it's regional? I'm in Houston, but here, it's available in all Verizon stores.

Stuart
Old 02-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

And I just had to replace my V710 with Verizon on Tuesday, the battery would not charge, and this new phone did not have the firmware update. SoCal area.... maybe it is regional.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

710 free w/$150 rebate on Amazon

Originally Posted by oidvoid
Deal is now dead. Web site says it's discontinued or out of stock.

Check it out over on Amazon - I just bought mine and can't wait to get it. I was at Best Buy a couple days ago and they wanted over $300 for it.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:57 PM
5th Gear

Bluetooth is definitely worth getting; however, you don't have to stick with Verizon (or V710 for that matter). Verizon actually got sued for disabling some Bluetooth features on their V710 phones: http://informationweek.com/story/sho...cleID=57701136

Cingular and Tmobile have lots of Bluetooth-enabled phones for a lower price or even for free after rebate!