The MOTOROLA Q Is Released MERGED

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:57 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The MOTOROLA Q Is Released

Edit by datmrman
I've merged the two threads concerning this phone into this one. Please continue the discussion here.
--------------------------------

Size: 4.6H x 2.5W x 0.45D inches
Weight: 4.1 oz

Verizon has it available for order on their website as of this morning. Was told by a VZW store clerk they're due into the Verizon Wireless stores June 5th. Looks pretty good and may turn out to be a Treo 700W killer, especially at $199!

Wouldn't it be ineresting if this were the 1st PDA phone to show battery & signal strength on the MID display?

http://www.motorola.com
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=2303
Old 05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Q

I just ordered mine today. I will post my findings regarding pairing. I really hope it works well. My Motorola V710 and E815 work great with the HFL.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This smartphone does look to be pretty promising. My brother told me about this phone as soon as I got back from buying a Treo 700W for my company. I have to see if the 15-day VZW return policy has expired on my phone. Actually, if this phone is not arriving in stores until June 5th, I know my return period will have expired by then, and I would have to test it out before I bought it...

Oh well, looks like I will be sticking with the 700W, which is a good phone as well.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a 14 day return policy? I will stick with my Samsung i730, the Q doesn't have touchscreen.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hank1105
I thought it was a 14 day return policy? I will stick with my Samsung i730, the Q doesn't have touchscreen.
Its 30 days here in Cali, also the Q has a chopped up version of WM5......where the 700w has the whole thing. I have my new trusty 700p that replaced my 650 for work last week! Palm's OS is leaps ahead of WM5 if you ask me.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hank1105
Maybe it is a 14-day return policy. Regardless, I'll still be past it either way (where is that pesky receipt when you need it?).

The Q doesn't have touchscreen? If that's the case, maybe I will be more pleased that I have to stick with my 700W, unless Motorola did something very innovative with the navigation/scroll wheel.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Advanced

I was wondering how long before the Q was on this board.

I've had my boss hyped about the Q for the past year to replace his treo600 (YUK!!).
Anyways, he ordered it today so I get to play with it and set up the e-mail and all tomorrow, and of course see how it pairs with my TL.

So far i'm indecisive on the Q, it looks so cool, but i'll see how I like it, I need to get the Q or the 700W, i'm tired of needing something that's on my PDA in the other room. Plus I need to come to terms with the cost of the data package on either phone, my opinion it's not worth it to get something with so many features and abilities and not use them all. To me it'd be like getting the TL without navi and drive around using your corded hands free and mapquest.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

too bad its fugly and has pretty much shit software
Old 06-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

I read a review of the Q where the reviewer was generally impressed, but thought Verizon's ridiculous service plan rates drew the phone's potential down. Sprint charges $19.95 for unlimited wireless Internet while Cingular is at $24.95. Why the heck is Verizon still at a whopping $49.95?!

If Verizon had a decent plan with unlimited high-speed wireless Internet, I would seriously consider this phone.

Finally, as a former PPC-6700 owner, I should caution that the Bluetooth stack in Windows Mobile 5.0 is screwy. I had some difficulty with that phone and the Acura HFL. The best PDA phones with integrated HFL compatibility are, in my opinion, the Treo 650 and the Blackberry 8700c. Both seamlessly work with my HFL.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:28 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xtin
Ouch...
Old 06-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you are on a tear
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Motorola
Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

A request to the folks at handsfreelink to test this phone yielded the following 'intelligent' canned answer, as I should have expected:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for visiting acura.com and for your inquiry regarding
HandsFreeLink. HandsFreeLink is compatible with phones that have Bluetooth
and a hands free profile. We do not have this phone listed as a phone that
we have tested or are planning to test. This phone may or may not fit the
profile needed for a potential compatible phone, therefore we can not state
whether it is compatible until we have tested it.

We can only provide support for phones listed on the Acura website. Please
refer to our list of approved phones at www.acura.com to determine which phones to purchase

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see now, they're not planning to test it, and they won't know if it works until they test it ...... DUH !!!!!! Meanwhile, their lists say my current phone, an Audiovox XV6600 is not compatible with the HFL while a) I have hardly any problems making or receiving calls, and b) Their feature compatibility chart on this model shows everything works except Battery and signal strength indicators, which is correct ..... DUH again. What a fukkin bunch of Keystone Cops! INCREDIBLE!

I trust the folks here on Acurazine for answers LIGHTYEARS before I'd trust Acura Customer service an I can't wait for reviews from the few of you who've ordered the Q.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by DMZ
A request to the folks at handsfreelink to test this phone yielded the following 'intelligent' canned answer, as I should have expected:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for visiting acura.com and for your inquiry regarding
HandsFreeLink. HandsFreeLink is compatible with phones that have Bluetooth
and a hands free profile. We do not have this phone listed as a phone that
we have tested or are planning to test. This phone may or may not fit the
profile needed for a potential compatible phone, therefore we can not state
whether it is compatible until we have tested it.

We can only provide support for phones listed on the Acura website. Please
refer to our list of approved phones at www.acura.com to determine which phones to purchase

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see now, they're not planning to test it, and they won't know if it works until they test it ...... DUH !!!!!! Meanwhile, their lists say my current phone, an Audiovox XV6600 is not compatible with the HFL while a) I have hardly any problems making or receiving calls, and b) Their feature compatibility chart on this model shows everything works except Battery and signal strength indicators, which is correct ..... DUH again. What a fukkin bunch of Keystone Cops! INCREDIBLE!

I trust the folks here on Acurazine for answers LIGHTYEARS before I'd trust Acura Customer service an I can't wait for reviews from the few of you who've ordered the Q.
Well they don't have access to phones before normal subscribers do Can't expect them to write a report on something that has just hit the shelves.

It takes them a few months to do there tests and make sure the phones work before they put there stamp of approval on it. I mean it took them 3 months to add the 700w on there page. And they haven't added the 700p, but it works just fine. I think it is fine that they have such high quality control, and value the answers they give to Acura owners.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
you are on a tear
That must be a an Ohio thing....Im lost.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by lembowski
Well they don't have access to phones before normal subscribers do Can't expect them to write a report on something that has just hit the shelves.

It takes them a few months to do there tests and make sure the phones work before they put there stamp of approval on it. I mean it took them 3 months to add the 700w on there page. And they haven't added the 700p, but it works just fine. I think it is fine that they have such high quality control, and value the answers they give to Acura owners.

If they don't have access to phones before 'normal subscribers' do, then how come they've already been able to test the Samsung i830 (still a twinkle in Verizon's eye) and proclaim it's not compatible? If memory serves correct, they were testing the Samsung i730 before IT hit the street. If their quality control is so good, how come they say my phone is not compatible when it is? Etc. Etc. Etc.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by DMZ

If they don't have access to phones before 'normal subscribers' do, then how come they've already been able to test the Samsung i830 (still a twinkle in Verizon's eye) and proclaim it's not compatible? If memory serves correct, they were testing the Samsung i730 before IT hit the street. If their quality control is so good, how come they say my phone is not compatible when it is? Etc. Etc. Etc.
Your one of those people that have never taken longer than expected to do anything, or been late for anything.......right . They're testing the phone let them do it on their own schedule. You could always buy it and try it, then you could tell us.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

TL/Q Success Reported !

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_f...=856&fi=648722
Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Confirmed,

I was able to pair the Q on the first try. It shows battery strength on the mid (No signal strength)

Clarity is good and there are no more pops and hisses like my V710 and E815.

So far, I am very happy with the phone.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

I just got the Q and it seems to be working fine....pairing went through like a breeze....

Talking to people with the HFL+Q said it sounds VERY clear on their end....they wouldnt have known I was talking through the HFL if I didn't tell them....

Very satisfied with this purchase (unlike the AcuraLink)....
Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

does it support call waiting capability through the hfl?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
jl5
2nd Gear

No touchscreen on the Q

i was excited to see that the motorolla q is now available but with no touchscreen, editing anything is going to be such a pain....i have the treo 650 now and was planning on getting the treo 700w for it's faster browser and ability to open more attachments, including pdf files....not sure what to do now. i like the cingular 8125 but saw that it doesn't seem to link well with the tl. any thoughts?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by jl5
i was excited to see that the motorolla q is now available but with no touchscreen, editing anything is going to be such a pain....i have the treo 650 now and was planning on getting the treo 700w for it's faster browser and ability to open more attachments, including pdf files....not sure what to do now. i like the cingular 8125 but saw that it doesn't seem to link well with the tl. any thoughts?
I upgraded to the 700w from my 650 and hated life for 2 months. Atleast the 700p came out to save me. I sold the 700w and bought the 700p. believe me if your a fan of palms OS, WM5 will become your worst nightmare.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:42 AM
jl5
2nd Gear

Q vs Treo

Originally Posted by lembowski
I upgraded to the 700w from my 650 and hated life for 2 months. Atleast the 700p came out to save me. I sold the 700w and bought the 700p. believe me if your a fan of palms OS, WM5 will become your worst nightmare.

i love the palm OS, so I think the Q is definitely not for me. i'll make sure to look at the 700p now instead of just picking up the 700w. i wasn't sure what the differences were. i'm assuming both link fine to the TL.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Wants an M3 in

That must be a an Ohio thing....Im lost.
I am from Virginia ... So you should be just fine. I just moved here for work
Old 06-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Racer

Just switch from a Razer, cant wait to get it next week! Great on the easy pairing!
Old 06-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can also confirm the easy pairing of the Q. First shot, no problems. My 700w was nothing but trouble trying to pair. Also confirm the battery strength shows but no signal strength. As far as a phone, it is great. As a PDA, I am still unsure. It is MS Windows so I realized that I would be giving up some UI intuitiveness, but I am only "hoping" at this point that I can become as comfortable with it as I have been with my Palm OS.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear

Unhappy Can't get HFL to work with Q

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what process you followed to get the HFL to work with the Q? I keep getting "No devices found" even when I have the phone and the car searching at the same time. I have TSX and I don't know if it makes a difference. My husband has a TL. I have paired the E815 and the Razr with the TSX and TL with no problem but no luck with the Q.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If this had a touch screen, I'd get it in a heartbeat... unfortunately, the treo's sound much more robust right now. My debate is 700 w vs p. Or maybe even a 650 (not sure what the difference is...). I hear p is more stable, robust, has more features etc, I also hear palm is going to stop supporting their mobile os and the windows version killed em.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The only part of the touchscreen that I miss with the Q is the writing tablet with the grafiti interface. Does the 700p still support that?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Shift_faster

I had the Q for less than a week. Hated it and went with a BlackBerry 7130e (which shows both signal & battery strength.

The phone had a great look, it just froze up all the time. I didn't need Windows issues on my laptop and my phone! In the four days I owned it, I had to pop the battery five times. I wasn't willing to accept that.

Not sure if it was just my own phone, but I didn't want to risk it...so I went with the BlackBerry. Love this phone! It is so simple and stable.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

Wink Bluetooth Resolved....

So I had no luck pairing to either Acura or my computer. When I finally tried pairing to my Moto headset with no luck I got suspicious. I made a trip to the Verizon store and when the tech couldn't get it to pair with anything he suggested I swap it out. 20 minutes later I had another Q and it paired right up to everything. Problem resolved!

Other than that I love the phone. No lock-ups or freezes. Works perfectly!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Racer

Motorola Q

I noticed that my new motorola Q auto links with my bluetooth when I start my car, does the Razr offer that option?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a t-mobile razr, it does that. I don't have to do anything, just get in the car and it connects.

Dave
Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

That's what it's supposed to do. I couldn't imagine having to manually link my phone every time I started my car.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

my razr turns the BT off after a while....occasionally I have to re-enable bluetooth
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Cruisin'

how do you set the razr up for it to connect automatically? it seems as of now, i have to turn bluetooth on on the razr before it connects. when the bluetooth gets out of range, the razr turns the bluetooth off.

thanks
Old 07-05-2006, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Motorola Q Bluetooth Question

I currently have a Samsung i730 running WM5......which drops its bluetooth connection during the call. Have you experienced this with the Q?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bbqbaker
how do you set the razr up for it to connect automatically? it seems as of now, i have to turn bluetooth on on the razr before it connects. when the bluetooth gets out of range, the razr turns the bluetooth off.

thanks
I leave my bluetooth on all the time, never shut it off. I recharge every night anyway. On my phone if I go to settings, connections, bluetooth, setup, power, on. I've got two Motorolla phones, a razr and a v635, both work that way. Motorolla tends to use the same operating system in all its phones.

Dave
Old 07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bbqbaker

thanks
I notice my old Razr has a automatic in the setting>connection>bluethooth link>device history>Edit

But it never auto linked via bluetooth in the past few years.. but give it a try

Love the new Q

Quick Reply: The MOTOROLA Q Is Released MERGED