Motorola E815 vs. LG VX8100

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motorola E815 vs. LG VX8100

Has anyone really compared the e815 vs the VX8100? The 2 phones seem to be really comparable. I can get the e815 for $50 or the vx8100 for free from Verizon. I think that the vx8100 will be better for playing mp3's, but I could be wrong. I don't think that I care about web browsing, vcast nor creating video clips.

What I really need is a reliable Verizon phone that works well with the HFL.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I did a search here but didn't really see any comparisons.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I don't own either phone you're asking about, I might suggest that you choose the LG over the Motorola - Here's why.....

I used to have the LG VX-6000 which was a great phone. Never had any reception problems, call clarity was second to none and the camera was great.

Since buying the TL, I decided to switch to the v710 for it's BT capabilities.
The v710 works great in my TL.... I get signal strength, caller ID and battery displays on the MID and have had no problems placing or receiving calls. Having said that, the Motorola is awful when I use it outside of the TL. The speaker in the earpiece cuts in and out, I have to dial at least twice when placing a call and the camera is absolutely horrible.

I will more than likely be replacing my v710 with the LG VX-9800 (I think is the model#) when it is available from Verizon. That phone has a QWERTY keypad for text messaging, speakerphone, camera and BT capabilities.
Check it out..... LG VX-9800

I have always been a fan of Motorola phones (used to have the way-old school flip phone, way-old school bar phone (that looked like the flip, without the flip), StarTac, TimePort - And I've never run into the kind of issues I've had the the v710.

IMHO - Stick with the LG phones, especially if you plan on using the phone outside of your TL.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I have compared both. I have used both. I owned both. erok72 - it is VERY likely you ended up with one of the bad phones. You should have had them exchange it for you. The v710 and e815 both work VERY well (the new versions of the v710). The reception is far supreior on the motos than over the LGs (check howardforums.com for verification). The e815 sounds excellent, its build quality is excellent. The LGs build quality IS slightly better than the e815. (the v710 is terrible). The LG does display the batt life all the time with the HFL - only sometimes (very sporadic).

The LG I had (which has the new v4 software) had terrible voice quality issues. The earpiece volume would change a lot and make it hard to hear anybody else. The moto does not do that.

My vote is for the e815. You are going to get both sides of this story - but my suggestion is to get the e815, try it out, if you don't like it, swap for the lg. I have used 4 of the e815s and 2 of the LGs and the LGs were absolute crap compared to the moto.

I would also ask your question over in the verizon wireless forum at howardforums.com - actually search, plenty of people have compared the phones.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Drifting

My vote goes for the Motorola V815. I don't like LG and the ones I have played with just feel crippled. The overall feel of the Motorola is definitely better.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Big Brother is Watching..

i have the E815 myself. my dad has the VX8100..... personally after my last LG phone, i will never own another LG product in my life. i had problem after problem with that phone. i live in a mountainous area with lots of dead spots. i had a Motorola v60 before the LG and it had better reception than the LG did (i cant recall what model LG i had, something like 710 i think). once i went back to a Motorola phone i am by far hapier with the reception and coverage. i dont like the software too much of the E815, not as user friendly as far as gaming and text messaging, but the fact that it always works when i need it to it what really matters.

if it interests you at all, here is a pic i took this afternoon with my E815. this was the first pic i have email to myself since i got this phone and i was purely amazed at the quailty
Old 09-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NICE picture!!!! The camera on my V710 is HORRIBLE but I haven't lost a call yet. With my old LG VX6000, I lost at least 2 calls a day at a minimum. LG's are wayy more user friendly but the reception is terrible. I say for the Motorola.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
NIce pic....got teh 815 myself.....check howardforums.com to hack the phone and get the pics off yourself instead of making Verizon richer...Their "Get IN" campaign should be "Get F*cked" by high prices and milking the consumer for everything they are worth!!!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vp911
Yes, I have compared both. I have used both. I owned both. erok72 - it is VERY likely you ended up with one of the bad phones. You should have had them exchange it for you. The v710 and e815 both work VERY well (the new versions of the v710). The reception is far supreior on the motos than over the LGs (check howardforums.com for verification). The e815 sounds excellent, its build quality is excellent. The LGs build quality IS slightly better than the e815. (the v710 is terrible). The LG does display the batt life all the time with the HFL - only sometimes (very sporadic).

The LG I had (which has the new v4 software) had terrible voice quality issues. The earpiece volume would change a lot and make it hard to hear anybody else. The moto does not do that.

My vote is for the e815. You are going to get both sides of this story - but my suggestion is to get the e815, try it out, if you don't like it, swap for the lg. I have used 4 of the e815s and 2 of the LGs and the LGs were absolute crap compared to the moto.

I would also ask your question over in the verizon wireless forum at howardforums.com - actually search, plenty of people have compared the phones.

Thanks for the info vp911, I'll check out howardforums.com
Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TurboSam
i have the E815 myself. my dad has the VX8100..... personally after my last LG phone, i will never own another LG product in my life. i had problem after problem with that phone. i live in a mountainous area with lots of dead spots. i had a Motorola v60 before the LG and it had better reception than the LG did (i cant recall what model LG i had, something like 710 i think). once i went back to a Motorola phone i am by far hapier with the reception and coverage. i dont like the software too much of the E815, not as user friendly as far as gaming and text messaging, but the fact that it always works when i need it to it what really matters.

if it interests you at all, here is a pic i took this afternoon with my E815. this was the first pic i have email to myself since i got this phone and i was purely amazed at the quailty
Nice picture! I'm leaning towards the e815.