Motorola E815 (Verizon)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 11:42 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Motorola E815 (Verizon)

Word on the web has it that this phone (replacement for the V710) will be in stores next week. Price should be $199. It shows on Acura's Bluetooth compatibility site as undergoing testing, so this may be a viable new option.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DAMNIT!!!! I just got my V710 a 1 1/2 months ago.... ,
Although I did get it for $60 - You gotta love that corporate discount!!!!

Someone here also posted that Verizon would be getting a BT Razor soon as well..... Still waiting to hear confirmation on this.

Does anyone know if LG will be releasing a Verizon phone with BT? My VX6000 was the best phone I've ever owned, but I replaced it to get BT in the 710. Sound quality is pretty close, but I prefer the ergonomics of the LG. That and the cam in the 710 is just awful.... Nothing looks good, indoors or out, it's all crap. But you don't buy a cell and expect SLR quality pics. Just wish it was something that could be 'fixed' at a Verizon store.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by erok72
Someone here also posted that Verizon would be getting a BT Razor soon as well..... Still waiting to hear confirmation on this.

Does anyone know if LG will be releasing a Verizon phone with BT?
Check out http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_forum.php?p=663. The forum is about the E815, but there are some people comparing it to the LG8100 which is due out soe time after the E815. There is also someone talking about a Verizon (CDMA) version of the RAZR.

-DMR.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The 815 will come out and then in a few months the Razr will come out. Folks, there's always something better on the horizon. If you're about to buy a phone and it's a matter of a couple of days or weeks and you want to have the latest and greatest- wait for the 815. The 710 is a great phone and I'm on my 2nd one- I dare say that I use it more than most people- 1500-2000 minutes/month- so I'm a decent judge. The 710 can be bought for just a few dollars with all the rebates and discounts available.

Last year I waited until Verizon had a Bluetooth phone- that was worth waiting for. I find all the other providers having mediocre service. Being able to use the Bluetoith technology in both my vehicles was a dramatic postive change. There will be no dramatic positive change with the 815 or the Razr.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Smile

The 815 will come out and then in a few months the Razr will come out. Folks, there's always something better on the horizon. If you're about to buy a phone and it's a matter of a couple of days or weeks and you want to have the latest and greatest- wait for the 815. The 710 is a great phone and I'm on my 2nd one- I dare say that I use it more than most people- 1500-2000 minutes/month- so I'm a decent judge. The 710 can be bought for just a few dollars with all the rebates and discounts available.

Last year I waited until Verizon had a Bluetooth phone- that was worth waiting for. I find all the other providers having mediocre service. Being able to use the Bluetoith technology in both my vehicles was a dramatic positive change. There will be no dramatic positive change with the 815 or the Razr.

Technology is very fickle. A manufacturer comes out with a new golf club and markets to the world that last year's model is a piece of crap and that you need to upgrade.

I bought an HDTV recently and all the videophiles are talking about 1080P- which isn't broadcast by anyone yet- and how some are waiting until this technology is available before they buy a HDTV. Black and White to Color- dramatic. VHS to DVD- dramatic. DVD to HDTV- dramatic. I could make the same analogies with cars and personal computers.

Okay I'm done. Hey, someone help me down off my soapbox.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Abyss Blue Sexiness

Found this technical info on the firmware to be released for this phone on the VW website. http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/Motorola_carkit_e815.pdf

Sounds like this time we get full support from the start.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Intermediate

This phone is to be released officially July 5th. I already see it on our company discount verizonwireless site. The VX8100 is supposed to be realeased the 11th of this month. But it also supposed to be about 100 dollars more. You can find all this information at howardforums. I would be interested to know if anyone gets this phone and how it works with the HID. I am deciding between this and teh VX8100...

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Folks, I am on the phone with Verizon as I type this....the E815 is out and is $99.00 online which they are honoring over the phone.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 AM
4th Gear

My experience: Motorola E815 and my '05 TL

Folks,

Being a founding member of the gadget geek club, I rushed out Sunday morning at 11:00 to my local Circuit City and retired my old Samsung a610 phone for a shiny new Motorola E815.

Initial impressions are that the phone build quality is better than the Samsung by FAR, and even better than an old V60 I had. The RF quality is excellent in my area (Northern Virginia/D.C. 'burbs).

Best of all, it paired with the Bluetooth in my '05 TL *flawlessly*. All functions are working as advertised. I even get signal strength and battery life indicators under the HandsFreeLink display.

I'm a fairly soft spoken guy, and no one has noticed when I am using the HFL in my TL. One person actually commented that they could hear me more clearly than they could when I was using my old Samsung.

For those looking to making a change in their phones, I'd say that Motorola and Verizon pretty much got it right the first time with the E815.

A side note about Verizon Wireless, they had me in and out of the Circuit City kiosk in less than 30 minutes with zero issues. I think that's something of a rarity in today's world of (usually poor) customer service.

-Jeremy
Old 07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1hottl
Folks, I am on the phone with Verizon as I type this....the E815 is out and is $99.00 online which they are honoring over the phone.
I got the offer via email. I don't know if the offer is extended to existing customers & my contract is 2 months away from renewal?? I call 611 and lady was not helpful at all.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does this phone have regular normal rings or just that polyaphonic crap?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:53 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Is this phones bluetooth functions disabled like the V710 was?? If it is then it aint worth 99 cent.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by rifleman-cl
I got the offer via email. I don't know if the offer is extended to existing customers & my contract is 2 months away from renewal?? I call 611 and lady was not helpful at all.
I am a new customer...try calling the 1-800 customer number.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:55 AM
7th Gear

I got my E815 the other day. With my "New Every 2" discount, the phone was free.

It paired with the TL seamlessly and works great - I get the caller ID, signal and battery strength indicator in the dash.

As for rings, I've read that you can actually use MP3s that are stored on the phone, but I don't know how to do that yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
Is this phones bluetooth functions disabled like the V710 was?? If it is then it aint worth 99 cent.
Any Verizon phone will have the Bluetooth functionality locked down in terms of file transfers and such because they want to make money off of it.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
AVB for President!

Yep, the E815's BT features are extremely neutered... OBEX and DUN is not supported ootb either...
Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by TLTrance
Yep, the E815's BT features are extremely neutered... OBEX and DUN is not supported ootb either...
For my puposes it seems to work fine, but it could be because I do not know what I am missing. Can you explain more about obex and dun?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 PM
AVB for President!

OBEX: Object Exchange

"Object Exchange is a set of protocols allowing objects such as vCard contact information and vCalendar schedule entries to be exchanged using either IrDA or Bluetooth. Symbian OS implements IrDA for exchange of vCards, for example between a Nokia 9210 Communicator and an Ericsson R380 Smartphone, and vCalendar."

OBEX can potentially be used for transferring other items, such as games, ringtones, etc, all of which are neutered on this phone. Basically OBEX allows you to transfer files of any type.

DUN: Dial Up Networking
Having this feature would allow for wireless internet access through Bluetooth. You would be able to couple the phone with a laptop to enable Internet access on the laptop.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Intermediate

Just FYI...if you really want OBEX and DUN people have already figured out how to hack the phone, and its been out only a week or so!

Search around on howardforums..

I know to enable dialup you quickly dial ##DIALUP it should show u a message....

the OBEX isn't quite as easy, you need a usb cable for that
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
5th Gear

Cool E-815 Motorola

Just Purchased a 2005 Tl and bought E-815 Motorola since it seems you can't find any V710's. I don't think it is a replacement for the V710. It supposedly has more video capability. When linked, it displays signal strength, battery life, phone number called, and caller I.D. Sound is clear through spekers. Good buy at $99 (149-50 rebate).
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Bring Blink Back!

Originally Posted by jwpinva

Initial impressions are that the phone build quality is better than the Samsung by FAR, and even better than an old V60 I had. The RF quality is excellent in my area (Northern Virginia/D.C. 'burbs).

Best of all, it paired with the Bluetooth in my '05 TL *flawlessly*. All functions are working as advertised. I even get signal strength and battery life indicators under the HandsFreeLink display.

I'm a fairly soft spoken guy, and no one has noticed when I am using the HFL in my TL. One person actually commented that they could hear me more clearly than they could when I was using my old Samsung.

For those looking to making a change in their phones, I'd say that Motorola and Verizon pretty much got it right the first time with the E815.

A side note about Verizon Wireless, they had me in and out of the Circuit City kiosk in less than 30 minutes with zero issues. I think that's something of a rarity in today's world of (usually poor) customer service.

-Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy...your post has convinced me to upgrade my old Kyocera Slider I've been waiting for more options on bluetooth phones from Verizon
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED

Last year I waited until Verizon had a Bluetooth phone- that was worth waiting for. I find all the other providers having mediocre service. Being able to use the Bluetoith technology in both my vehicles was a dramatic positive change. There will be no dramatic positive change with the 815 or the Razr.

Technology is very fickle. A manufacturer comes out with a new golf club and markets to the world that last year's model is a piece of crap and that you need to upgrade.

I bought an HDTV recently and all the videophiles are talking about 1080P- which isn't broadcast by anyone yet- and how some are waiting until this technology is available before they buy a HDTV. Black and White to Color- dramatic. VHS to DVD- dramatic. DVD to HDTV- dramatic. I could make the same analogies with cars and personal computers.

Okay I'm done. Hey, someone help me down off my soapbox.
well... all of those changes are pretty dramitic...except DVD to HDTV, when you watch a DVD you are usually watching a movie/film...which is shot on "Film" when you watch the discovery channel HD, it is shot in "HD". the two technologies are different sort of like apples and oranges. more than 99% of movies are shot on film not HD, and i dont know about you but more then 99% of my dvds are movies. in some ways HD and Film come down to preference, they are not on different ends of the spectrum, they are actually two different spectrums. i personally would always rather watch a movie shot on film not HD, unless it is a documentary.

you could put video and HD on the same spectrum...VHS SVHS DV DVCAM BETA HD,
when you talk about VHS to DVD, you are only refferring to the vessel used in conversion to home entertainment. VHS and DVD are only ways of transferring various formats. but anyway good luck with the new tv....(hope you didn't get a plasma)
Old 07-08-2005, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

I do also have the V710 and im not very happy with it, overall...not bad. but specifically i think the battery life sucks and i think the camera is garbage. but it does work very well with my TL which is why i got it. As far as the camera goes i dont think that will be improved by any motorola phone. Samsung seems to have mastered camera phones.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LI_TL_CC
well... all of those changes are pretty dramitic...except DVD to HDTV, when you watch a DVD you are usually watching a movie/film...which is shot on "Film" when you watch the discovery channel HD, it is shot in "HD". the two technologies are different sort of like apples and oranges. more than 99% of movies are shot on film not HD, and i dont know about you but more then 99% of my dvds are movies. in some ways HD and Film come down to preference, they are not on different ends of the spectrum, they are actually two different spectrums. i personally would always rather watch a movie shot on film not HD, unless it is a documentary.

you could put video and HD on the same spectrum...VHS SVHS DV DVCAM BETA HD,
when you talk about VHS to DVD, you are only refferring to the vessel used in conversion to home entertainment. VHS and DVD are only ways of transferring various formats. but anyway good luck with the new tv....(hope you didn't get a plasma)
I see you're from New York and maybe you're a Yankees fan. The Yankees games on YES HD are a spectacular video experience to behold. The colors are so vibrant it almost looks 3 dimensional. ESPN HD is broadcast in 720P and once again the baseball games and the NBA playoffs that recently passed were video explosions to behold. I must admit that some of the DVD's I own for the kids- Saving Nemo for one- do look quite stunning. However, I don't own any non-animated DVD's that can match the beauty of an HDTV sporting event being displayed. Discovery HD has some awesome vieo as well.

We are way off topic here.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gregory28_RENAMED
I see you're from New York and maybe you're a Yankees fan. The Yankees games on YES HD are a spectacular video experience to behold. The colors are so vibrant it almost looks 3 dimensional. ESPN HD is broadcast in 720P and once again the baseball games and the NBA playoffs that recently passed were video explosions to behold. I must admit that some of the DVD's I own for the kids- Saving Nemo for one- do look quite stunning. However, I don't own any non-animated DVD's that can match the beauty of an HDTV sporting event being displayed. Discovery HD has some awesome vieo as well.

We are way off topic here.
i think its ok being off topic...a movie like "finding nemo" and a movie like "Lord of the rings", and an HD broadcast Baseball game, are all visually stunning especially on a nicer high end tv. but like i said before those three forms of entertainment are all made with different formats. they are all good for different things. deciding which is your favorite to view is just your preference.

i am from new york, but im a mets fan. and i def. enjoy the games in HD!(when they win)
Old 07-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
alright i just got the e815 and I use to send myself ringtones all the time with my lg6000 thru pixplace. but the life of me I cant figure out how to set the midi as a ring on the 815. It is saved in my phone in the media gallery under sounds, but it doesnt show up in the list when I try to change my ringtones.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Time to POWER UP!!

Verizon has that feature disabled.. They want you to use their "get it now" crap so that they can milk you for more money.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by ComptechType-S
Verizon has that feature disabled.. They want you to use their "get it now" crap so that they can milk you for more money.
there were some people on howardforums that are doing it, maybe they are using hacked phones.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So we bought (2) Motorolas 815's, but now I'm having a bit of a snag trying to do the voice commands...does the car speaker take the voice commands from the phone or do I have to record on both phone and vehicle??...anyone, or I'll have to do more reading tomorrow....thanks
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by Achance
alright i just got the e815 and I use to send myself ringtones all the time with my lg6000 thru pixplace. but the life of me I cant figure out how to set the midi as a ring on the 815. It is saved in my phone in the media gallery under sounds, but it doesnt show up in the list when I try to change my ringtones.
i can only speak on experience with my v710, but the routine now for getting the music to play as ringtones is by...

... go to the "Media Gallery", then subfolder "Sounds",
... highlight the song that you wish to use,
... click the menu button and then highlight and press "Send in Message"
... send the message to a number that is invalid (ex. a home telephone number),
... the message will be "Unable to Send", *** this is to save yourself from paying the fee ***
... go to your outbox and click on the undelivered message,
... the attached song will play,
... again, click the menu button and the highlight and press "Save Items",
... the screen will read: "Save What?", highlight and click "File",
... the sound playback screen appears and the song plays,
... click the "Store" button and then choose "Phone" at the "Storage Devices" screen
... the "Store Options" screen appears, highlight and press "Apply as Ring Tone"

... the music is now in your phone as a usable ringtone... the process is easier done than it might appear by the steps...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

anyone know why the e815 is not listed on Verizon's site? I just checked and didnt see it listed.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:58 AM
HEK

Originally Posted by fergiedsp
anyone know why the e815 is not listed on Verizon's site? I just checked and didnt see it listed.
I don't know but when we went to a Verizon store, the rep told us that they didn't have a release yet, funny how we went to Circuit City and inside the store they a Verizon store which had these on hand.... , anyway anyone have toughts on my question about voice commands??...
Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by fergiedsp
It was there on the day I ordered it. You could see it but then when you tried to order it asked you to call in to telesales. I ended up ordering from telesales.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:13 AM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

If you guys would wait until Acura has certified that the E815 is compatible with HFL, you'd save yourselves some time and effort (and $$$)... The E815 was just released (this week) and the Acura website says they are working on the compatibility issues so that it can work with HFL.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Team Nighthawk President

Originally Posted by srhewes
If you guys would wait until Acura has certified that the E815 is compatible with HFL, you'd save yourselves some time and effort (and $$$)... The E815 was just released (this week) and the Acura website says they are working on the compatibility issues so that it can work with HFL.
Mine works with my HFL. I get signal strength, battery life and caller id. I haven't ventured to use all of the other functions yet but have no trouble with calling.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by tizo
i can only speak on experience with my v710, but the routine now for getting the music to play as ringtones is by...

... go to the "Media Gallery", then subfolder "Sounds",
... highlight the song that you wish to use,
... click the menu button and then highlight and press "Send in Message"
... send the message to a number that is invalid (ex. a home telephone number),
... the message will be "Unable to Send", *** this is to save yourself from paying the fee ***
... go to your outbox and click on the undelivered message,
... the attached song will play,
... again, click the menu button and the highlight and press "Save Items",
... the screen will read: "Save What?", highlight and click "File",
... the sound playback screen appears and the song plays,
... click the "Store" button and then choose "Phone" at the "Storage Devices" screen
... the "Store Options" screen appears, highlight and press "Apply as Ring Tone"

... the music is now in your phone as a usable ringtone... the process is easier done than it might appear by the steps...
nope doesnt work for the pac man midi im trying to use.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HEK
I don't know but when we went to a Verizon store, the rep told us that they didn't have a release yet, funny how we went to Circuit City and inside the store they a Verizon store which had these on hand.... , anyway anyone have toughts on my question about voice commands??...
the voice commands all work through the car, unless you shose to you use the voice options through your phone, but to command actual names not numbers you will have to rerecord any names through the cars system. it takes a very short time and i have found that i add numbers while im driving when im bored.

in general im very satisfied with the voice command system for the blue tooth. i would say it works more then 80% of the time. but the air has to be on a low fan, and the windows def. have to be closed.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by Achance
nope doesnt work for the pac man midi im trying to use.
yeah, some songs on my v710 don`t like to transfer either, i think i`m at a 50/50 transfer acceptance rate with my original (pre software update) list of flashcard stored music files...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
HEK

Originally Posted by LI_TL_CC
the voice commands all work through the car, unless you shose to you use the voice options through your phone, but to command actual names not numbers you will have to rerecord any names through the cars system. it takes a very short time and i have found that i add numbers while im driving when im bored.

in general im very satisfied with the voice command system for the blue tooth. i would say it works more then 80% of the time. but the air has to be on a low fan, and the windows def. have to be closed.
Thanks, for the response, i've done enough reading and I'm tired, I tried to link my wife's phone and have failed, maybe I'll try tomorrow, you know new phone, new car, little free time makes it hard to take the time to "play" with the set ups....again thanks...BTW I love the fact that I can say a # and have the car dial it... , now when I can just say a name, that will be 100% better...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Figured I should share

http://dts.vzw.com/pdf/Motorola_carkit_e815.pdf