Mechanism inside '04 navi disc drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mechanism inside '04 navi disc drive?

does anyone know the part number for the mechanism used on 04 Acura TL navigation disc drive.... not the part # that's on the outside of the drive but the part or model number of the actual mechanism inside.

my mechanism went bad they are fairly easy to take out
I've Done it before to clean the lens, anyways I have noticed that some mechanism that look exactly the same are very cheap but they say is for such and such Honda, Chrysler navigation disc drive (different Part #) but never refer to my navigation disc drive part #.... so what's the 04 Acura TL mechanism part # or model?

I've asked professionals that fixed navigation drive but they seem to have a case of amnesia at that moment, I guess they rather just charge you top dollar for a part that is cheap in price and takes about 10 minutes to replace

I would like to replace this my self being that is fairly easy and alpine is charging way more $ now to fix or replace the part, also I'm in fact sure that my mechanism is the problem. If not I would have been more on the side of grabbing my "cojones" and coughing up the cash.

any words of wisdom will be gratifying.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
The DVD drive is sold as one unit. They do not sell the DVD mechanism inside alone. Trust me there is no cheap fix for a broken DVD mechanism, all Hondas and acuras with DVD navigations all go through this, they all break eventually and a fix is not cheap. Best way is sending to alpine for repair as they are authorized by Honda for repairs since alpine is the manufacturer.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Alpine used to fix them for $158 flat charge but not it's $358. Don't try to argue with them on the price, it's a fixed charge for any repair no matter if the whole PCB inside is burnt, or just a stuck mechanism.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah I know alpine has gone up on price I found some mechanism on ebay but don't want to pay for something that I don't know if is the right mechanism for the drive even though they look exactly the same...

anyways while on ebay.com I found a repair service purchase from oemcaraudio that will replace the mechanism with a new one for $269, you ship them the drive and they replace it with a new one and test it, ones done they will give you a call and you paypal them the cash... so I've decided to ship them the drive... ohh and they give you a 90 day warranty... they also do many other vehicles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-YOUR-03-08-Acura-MDX-TSX-RL-TL-Navigation-DVD-Disc-Drive-GPS-NAVI-/121070416206?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c305bf14e&vxp=mtr
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM
tlv
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't sent it to them!
They do not repair it! They say they repair it but they only replaced it with a used mach. If it turns out that its not your mach then you will end up loosing $ to them. They can't repair it but only replace the mach and that's about it.

My 04 TL was having reading error and would just freeze on disclaimer screen. They weren't able to fix it. They said its my mother board in the drive that is shock. I end up loosing re stocking fee of 25% of repair price. Why charge me when they say they can repair it but actually can't.

You be better off sending it to Alphine for $470 they just jacked the price even more.

Hope this help