Max wattage with factory charging system

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Max wattage with factory charging system

Coming from a 96 es300, I had a loud setup with a 220A mechman alternator. Don't feel like going through all that again.

What is the max wattage I can create for my system that my existing car can hold (factory). Any suggestions for maxing that out even more are appreciated.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Well the math is simple enough: 12V * alternator output in amps = watts. I think the OEM alternator output is something in the neighborhood of 130A, so this would support a continuous load of 1560 watts. Obviously you're not planning on consuming all of that power continuously, but that would be the maximum output of the factory charging system. Keep in mind that it has to run the rest of the car too. As for the maximum wattage, it all depends on the kind of music you listen to: if you like rap with low, deep, long bass notes (assume you're talking about subs) then I would probably not exceed 2000-2500 watts on the factory charging system. (I'm sure others have done more power, successfully. Please keep in mind that it depends on the music you'll be playing.) Get a class D amp, too, as it will dissipate less power from heat compared to a less expensive class A/B/AB.

Also, if you're operating at the limits, I strongly encourage you to do the "big 3" to avoid unnecessary power losses in wiring from voltage drops due to high current draw. You'll want to maximize efficiency to get more out of the factory charging system.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Well the math is simple enough: 12V * alternator output in amps = watts. I think the OEM alternator output is something in the neighborhood of 130A, so this would support a continuous load of 1560 watts. Obviously you're not planning on consuming all of that power continuously, but that would be the maximum output of the factory charging system. Keep in mind that it has to run the rest of the car too. As for the maximum wattage, it all depends on the kind of music you listen to: if you like rap with low, deep, long bass notes (assume you're talking about subs) then I would probably not exceed 2000-2500 watts on the factory charging system. (I'm sure others have done more power, successfully. Please keep in mind that it depends on the music you'll be playing.) Get a class D amp, too, as it will dissipate less power from heat compared to a less expensive class A/B/AB.

Also, if you're operating at the limits, I strongly encourage you to do the "big 3" to avoid unnecessary power losses in wiring from voltage drops due to high current draw. You'll want to maximize efficiency to get more out of the factory charging system.
No offense, but I know about alot of what you said. I am not a n00b to audio lol. check my old setup

I am always concerned about low voltage and don't want to strain it creating a pull on my amps. Just wanted to know what others were running stock.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Haha no offense taken bro! You asked for an opinion on maximum wattage and suggestions for maxing out even more which I read as efficiency improvements, so I dropped my knowledge. :-P

Nice setup!

Honestly, I am curious to see what others are running on stock setup too as I've always wondered how high you can go without adding a battery/upgrading your alternator, etc.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Haha no offense taken bro! You asked for an opinion on maximum wattage and suggestions for maxing out even more which I read as efficiency improvements, so I dropped my knowledge. :-P
I am not worthy.
The following users liked this post:
Vlad_Type_S (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered Bike Offender

I'm not sure what you mean, Justin, but I'll take it as a compliment.

Also, to OP: love the Brutus amp and LOVE the kicker subs for their volume/spl. I setup a Hifonics system in my ex's Celica: used their components and one of the Zeus 4ch. amps with a Sony head unit. I know these aren't top shelf brands, but it sounded damn good!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Great advice by Vlad. In practice I would say 2400w of class D power is pushing it with an AGM battery and the big 3.

Mine is a SQ setup that will get decently loud. I have 1200w on the fronts (2 JL HD600/4s) and currently an HD1200/1 on the subs. I get some interior light dimming at full tilt but luckily my subs are very efficient so they actually require less power than the fronts. That's why it's not exactly fair to say 2400w is the limit, I'm not pulling 1200w from the sub amp. I run 9s in the doors in order to keep up with the subs and sound good doing so off of 600w total and they soak up every bit of what the amp has to offer.

So basically I have 2400w available and I get a little interior light dimming at full tilt. I assume you're into rap judging by the L7s tuned high. It's a tough call because a lot of the music I listen to goes deeper than rap but rap tends to have longer bass lines.

The Diehard Platinum supports the system fine on my music and the alternator has no problem keeping it charged. Most importantly there's not a huge voltage drop at the amps. It will go down to battery voltage but as many have found out, the TLs alternator seems slow to respond to voltage drops. Luckily the HD amps work fine at 12v.

So in short, the stock alternator won't keep up with the peaks at near 2400w but it will keep up with the average draw, keeping the battery fully charged. The type of amp will matter, especially one like the HD amps that will put out about the same power from 11v to 14v.

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Instructor

I'm not sure what you mean, Justin, but I'll take it as a compliment.

Also, to OP: love the Brutus amp and LOVE the kicker subs for their volume/spl. I setup a Hifonics system in my ex's Celica: used their components and one of the Zeus 4ch. amps with a Sony head unit. I know these aren't top shelf brands, but it sounded damn good!
Yeah man, for the price it had alot of bang though many look down on it for being a dirty signal and not efficient. They did GREAT for SPL. Now I had my fun with busting ear drums and leaning more to SQ setup. I love my w0's the sound quality is unmatched to kicker, but I am considering upgrading soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

This is an outstanding answer. Perfectly answered the question!

Originally Posted by adreano17
No offense, but I know about alot of what you said. I am not a n00b to audio lol. check my old setup

I am always concerned about low voltage and don't want to strain it creating a pull on my amps. Just wanted to know what others were running stock.
It seems as if you are an SPL type guy. You should try and finish the rest of it sometime and consider an SQ or SQL system. Fits the TL better, IMHO.

I had an SQ system in my TL with theoretically about 2500 watts of class a/b power (2 ARC Audio 4200SE and 1 ARC Audio 2300SE). I say theoretically, because even though the power was available, most of it ended up being just head room. The system was extremely dynamic, but not bass heavy at all.

Last edited by niebur3; 01-21-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Great advice by Vlad. In practice I would say 2400w of class D power is pushing it with an AGM battery and the big 3.

Mine is a SQ setup that will get decently loud. I have 1200w on the fronts (2 JL HD600/4s) and currently an HD1200/1 on the subs. I get some interior light dimming at full tilt but luckily my subs are very efficient so they actually require less power than the fronts. That's why it's not exactly fair to say 2400w is the limit, I'm not pulling 1200w from the sub amp. I run 9s in the doors in order to keep up with the subs and sound good doing so off of 600w total and they soak up every bit of what the amp has to offer.

So basically I have 2400w available and I get a little interior light dimming at full tilt. I assume you're into rap judging by the L7s tuned high. It's a tough call because a lot of the music I listen to goes deeper than rap but rap tends to have longer bass lines.

The Diehard Platinum supports the system fine on my music and the alternator has no problem keeping it charged. Most importantly there's not a huge voltage drop at the amps. It will go down to battery voltage but as many have found out, the TLs alternator seems slow to respond to voltage drops. Luckily the HD amps work fine at 12v.

So in short, the stock alternator won't keep up with the peaks at near 2400w but it will keep up with the average draw, keeping the battery fully charged. The type of amp will matter, especially one like the HD amps that will put out about the same power from 11v to 14v.
You kind of lost me with your setup bro lol. I had to reread it. The TL alternator is pretty impressive coming from a 96 OEM alternator. I have noticed the regulator controls at lower voltage sometime for whatever reason. I havent a clue.

But I personally love Deka. They are AGM deep cycle and NEVER had a problem. Ran one for 3+ years with good charging system and still sat at 12.3 at rest. Impressive for abusing it.

I am not familiar with HD, do they have a website? And yes, I will only run high efficiency amps for now on seeing the TL is more limited to charging system upgrades. Plus like I said, taking the SQ route now.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by niebur3
This is an outstanding answer. Perfectly answered the question!

It seems as if you are an SPL type guy. You should try and finish the rest of it sometime and consider an SQ or SQL system. Fits the TL better, IMHO.

I had an SQ system in my TL with theoretically about 2500 watts of class a/b power (2 ARC Audio 4200SE and 1 ARC Audio 2300SE). I say theoretically, because even though the power was available, most of it ended up being just head room. The system was extremely dynamic, but not bass heavy at all.
If I easily can't get a H.O alt (which I can't) SQL doesn't even seem practical for me anymore. Atleast not in a TL.

and did you mean SQ v SPL? cause if so, disregard my answer
Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by adreano17
Yeah man, for the price it had alot of bang though many look down on it for being a dirty signal and not efficient. They did GREAT for SPL. Now I had my fun with busting ear drums and leaning more to SQ setup. I love my w0's the sound quality is unmatched to kicker, but I am considering upgrading soon.
Haha that's just it: I got into the car audio game in high school. When I was a little baller with my McDonald's cash, I only wanted the most loudness/$ since I barely had any $ lol. My first setup was 2 12" comps with a Kenwood amp. Cheap as fuq but it BUMPED! The only kid that was louder than me had 2 L5's lol. He's my best friend to this day.

I'm also desiring an SQ setup eventually. I'm currently very satisfied with the OEM system and I'm spending my time/money on other mods, but after reading some of the AWESOME audio build threads on this site, I'm all but financially committed to do an infinite baffle build. (i hate cars has one I think!) I also wouldn't want to modify the battery/alt.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Haha that's just it: I got into the car audio game in high school. When I was a little baller with my McDonald's cash, I only wanted the most loudness/$ since I barely had any $ lol. My first setup was 2 12" comps with a Kenwood amp. Cheap as fuq but it BUMPED! The only kid that was louder than me had 2 L5's lol. He's my best friend to this day.

I'm also desiring an SQ setup eventually. I'm currently very satisfied with the OEM system and I'm spending my time/money on other mods, but after reading some of the AWESOME audio build threads on this site, I'm all but financially committed to do an infinite baffle build. (i hate cars has one I think!) I also wouldn't want to modify the battery/alt.
BRUHHH me too. The loudest of my friends. Amazing how it starts! Message me. I got alot of stories lol. Just don't want to get off topic on here.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Don't do it! The SQ build that is. You go from enjoying the music to constantly wondering if your stage is a couple inches off center or how you can get more depth, etc. Thats why I quickly started leaving the laptop at home so I couldn't adjust it. Plus the money spent is many times that of the typical spl setup.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Don't do it! The SQ build that is. You go from enjoying the music to constantly wondering if your stage is a couple inches off center or how you can get more depth, etc. Thats why I quickly started leaving the laptop at home so I couldn't adjust it. Plus the money spent is many times that of the typical spl setup.
Haha damn dude, you know what? I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I can totally see myself getting consumed with tuning it just right. I'm okay with spending more money for the clarity, but I don't think I'll be springing for the component sets over $1k. I did some lurking at diyma so I know how much a decent SQ setup costs and I'm already over the sticker shock. Aside from the cash, I also understand that I'll have to completely sound deaden the interior, relocate speakers to kick panels, fabricate and fit custom baffles, etc. so there is a lot of labor involved as well. I'm still going to do it because I have so much fun on those projects! But your warning is noted.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Haha damn dude, you know what? I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I can totally see myself getting consumed with tuning it just right. I'm okay with spending more money for the clarity, but I don't think I'll be springing for the component sets over $1k. I did some lurking at diyma so I know how much a decent SQ setup costs and I'm already over the sticker shock. Aside from the cash, I also understand that I'll have to completely sound deaden the interior, relocate speakers to kick panels, fabricate and fit custom baffles, etc. so there is a lot of labor involved as well. I'm still going to do it because I have so much fun on those projects! But your warning is noted.
I think there are some real good SQ oriented comp sets in the $400-$600 range that will compete with the more expensive speakers. I originally got the Dynaudio Esotec 3-way comp set which I think retails for $1,600 but you obviously don't pay retail. I was so happy with those speakers. I was skeptical when I first went high end because I didn't think any speaker no matter what the cost could sound much better than my IDs I was running at the time. I was wrong and fell in love in the first 5 minutes and this was on the supplied passives. I later upgraded to the Esotar 3-way which is roughly $4,500 retail and learned a few lessons. In audio, a $4,500 set of speakers is not 3-4x better than a $1,000 set of speakers. If you could quantify it, I would say they're 20% "better". Someone that knows how to tune will easily have their $400 set sounding better than my $3,500 set with a decent but not great tune.

I'm more than happy, I feel that mine is as close to perfection as I'm going to get. I got the Dynaudio Esotars because the company philosiby is authentic fidelity and it shows. These give the closest to real life sound reproduction I've ever heard. Secondly they take retarded amounts of power and never sound strained or distorted.

If you get into SQ, get plenty of power. Each time I've upgraded to more power, the system sounds better, more alive, more dynamic and realistic.

Bigger is better many times, at least with subs and midbass. It's easy to fit an 8-9" midbass in our doors as long as they're not over 3" deep. The larger speakers deliver a more realisitc sound with less distortion due to less excursion for a given spl, all else being equal.

Same with the subs, I run a pair of 15s IB because being in my 30s I don't want to give up my trunk space like I used to. The 15s barely have any visible movement during moderately loud music which means they're very linear with very low distortion and with the additional efficiency, they have less power compression and distortion due to less power used.

I had a point to all of this but I've got to take care of something at work real quick. Real life sucks lol.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice setup!

Honestly, I am curious to see what others are running on stock setup too as I've always wondered how high you can go without adding a battery/upgrading your alternator, etc.
my alternator crapped out on me after a year of 2100 watts daily but the car has 145000 miles on it so im sure the altenator was towards the end of its life anyway