MANY 2004 Nav screen replacement issues help if you can please

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 04:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question MANY 2004 Nav screen replacement issues help if you can please

2004 TL - I cracked Screen accidently & bought a eBay replacement - multiple issues have ensued

1. I Had inexperienced shop swap out the screens. The uncracked one is now installed but will not respond to touch. It does have video. So I can not even type in any codes. I took it back to the shop and they said there were not even any available inputs into the new screen for the back up cam cable. (I am not 100% sure they know what they are saying though)

Not sure it matters: I have the stock Navigation truck unit but have the most modern compatible disc in it which is 2014.

Any Ideas??

2. Note previous owners (they) have some aftermarket stuff going on that could be a factor so I should note the following
A. They had a back up cam installed. Not OEM - this no longer works on new screen. Previously the screen automatically switched to the reverse cam when in Reverse gear
B. They had a DVD player in glovebox that could play on Nav screen if a switch on the dash next to the wheel was switched
C. I do not care much about the dvd video but did use the audio cords to play sound from my iphone. To accomplish this I had to buy a mini headphone to composite stereo audio cord. AUX setting would play audiobooks & MP3 from my iphone then

sorry if that is information overload. not sure if I should try buying another eBay part or spend time/money tinkering with existing one.

3. If I do buy another off eBay, should I be careful to only buy screens from 2006 TL vehicles since I intend to use back up cam or is that not a factor ? Perhaps 2005 is ok too?

Infrequently the nav screens have a unknown black component attached to the back. What is that & is it needed. See picture (I do not own below screen)

What is the black component's function?
Old 07-01-2022, 07:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
The black box is for certain TL's that would keep the navi screen on and drain the navi. If you look near the top edge once the plastic bezel is off, you'll see the connector for the touch panel to the screen. It's the brown flat cable. It continues to the backside. If the cable has come out, pull up on the white lock and the cable will easily come in and out. Place cable in and slide lock down. If you have an 04 get another 04 screen to be on safe side. screen+radio combo can be way cheaper than screen only on ebay.

cable unlocked (white tab up)

Cable locked white tab down

that's the touchscreen panel with the cable providing data to the screen.

The following users liked this post:
the.bet (07-02-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 07:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
The unit that provides video should be separate from the unit that provides audio for the AUX.

Usually the Backup-Camera/Aux video is connected though the trunk DVD player with a little add on unit like this:

Some connect behind the navi screen with that black Y cable (2 large black square connectors on it, bottom center). It takes the factory video signal and injects the aftermarket video signal when you want to have the backup camera working or dvd player.

The shop probably disconnected a bunch of things and didn't know how to reassemble it. Does the DVD player input work or is that black? When you go to reverse does the screen change at all?
The following users liked this post:
the.bet (07-02-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 12:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I appreciate the above contributions guys. Kind of you to take the time to show me the pics to boot. Very helpful on both accounts.

I am still glad to hear of any other wiring or Nav screen suggestions that might be helpful.

Cheers
Old 07-06-2022, 07:50 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Get a screen from an '07/8. You just need an adapter to be able to plug it into an '04/5/6 harness. You'll get better color and resolution.
The adapter is $50 from Martin in FL.