Making outgoing phone calls with HFL

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Making outgoing phone calls with HFL

Hey guys.. I'm trying to set my bluetooth up in my 07 Type S. I've got a new iPhone 6s and everything seems to work ok, except making outgoing phone calls....

I couldn't really figure out how to do it from the HFL itself other than saying the actual number (and who knows people's numbers anymore?) even though my phone book has been imported into the system. Anytime I tried to say a name, it would think I was saying numbers... Or "star 00"..I could go to the address book and find the person in the navi, and their number would be there, but I couldn't click it or anything to make an outgoing call.

Even more convenient, would be the option to make an outgoing call from my phone, and as I select the contact on my phone to call, it gives me the option to do it through the iPhone, speaker phone, or HFL, and I select HFL, and it still for some reason sends the call via the iPhone.

It works flawlessly for incoming calls, and I can dial out if I know the actual number, but that's it. I understand the car is an 07 and is almost 10 years old, so if it's no longer possible to make these things completely compatible I would understand, I just want to know.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I'm sorry but what is HFL?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Hands free link

Maybe I shouldn't have included that in the title..
Old 10-17-2015, 01:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,107 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by MilanoRedDashR
I couldn't really figure out how to do it from the HFL itself other than saying the actual number (and who knows people's numbers anymore?) even though my phone book has been imported into the system. Anytime I tried to say a name, it would think I was saying numbers... Or "star 00"...
Even more convenient, would be the option to make an outgoing call from my phone, and as I select the contact on my phone to call, it gives me the option to do it through the iPhone, speaker phone, or HFL, and I select HFL, and it still for some reason sends the call via the iPhone.
I think you have three options.
One, for each name and number you want to call from the TL, you have to actually verbally enter and store each into the HFL individually through the "set up" process. That's why I only have a few numbers stored in the HFL.
Two, you can start a call on the phone, then say "Transfer" on the HFL once the call is ringing-- that will transfer the call to the HFL.
Three, start the call on the phone and hang up. Then say "redial" on the HFL, which will then dial the last-called number.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:02 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
I think you have three options.
One, for each name and number you want to call from the TL, you have to actually verbally enter and store each into the HFL individually through the "set up" process. That's why I only have a few numbers stored in the HFL.
Two, you can start a call on the phone, then say "Transfer" on the HFL once the call is ringing-- that will transfer the call to the HFL.
Three, start the call on the phone and hang up. Then say "redial" on the HFL, which will then dial the last-called number.
There's also a 4th option but it's "not an elegant solution" according to will Y. when I said it in another thread yesterday

Just ditch HFL and use a dash mount and the phone's speaker phone. I find it so much easier to do so since all smartphone user interfaces and voice recognition features far outperform our aging HFL tech. Just say to the phone, or tap on a contact, and be done with it ! Since I typically have my phone plugged into the aux in I added to my for music whenever I get/make a call the call audio goes through the car stereo just like the HFL anyway.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Gotcha. As long as I know that I'm not doing something wrong, I can deal with it.

I think the dial out, hang u, and then "redial" is probably the best option, lol

Sucks that it's like this, but this is nearly decade old technology, so I can't complain! Thanks for the info guys