iSimple ishd651

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iSimple ishd651

just came across this on isimple website they just released a bluetooth audio and usb for ipod for most acura tl. anyone used it yet any reviews?
  • Upgrade your car with today’s latest technology and best possible sound quality with this premium integration solution.
    Enjoy your favorite songs, discover new content with internet radio, and safely manage phone calls, hands-free with a touch of a button. One discrete module hidden in your vehicle seamlessly connects your devices while providing control through your factory radio and steering wheel controls. The Connect’s USB port provides charging and music playback from your smartphone or music playback from a portable USB hard drive or thumb drive.
    CONNECT, your phone, your car - wirelessly.

Product Features
  • Full control for iPhone: Wirelessly (Bluetooth) or Wired (using customer’s Apple USB cable)
  • Basic control for Android: Wirelessly (Bluetooth)
  • USB Thumb-drive support: upto 32GB and upto 8,000 MP3 files
  • 2.1 Amp USB connection for charging of smartphones, tablets, and media players
  • Android audio streaming and wireless track control through Bluetooth connection
  • Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (HFP) and audio streaming (A2DP)
  • Song text (metadata) on factory radio
  • Auxiliary audio input (3.5mm or RCA)
  • Expandable:
    • Connect an ISSR11 cable and add an SCC1 Satellite tuner
    • Connect an ISSR12 cable and add an SXV100 or SXV200* Satellite tuner
    • (Sat tuners, and ISSR11, and ISSR12 cables all sold separately.)
Old 04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
not interested in the poor quality source material you will have streaming. I do use the ishd571 for a direct connection and charging to my idevices.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
10th Gear

theres a usb port to plug in your iphone or your usb drive.you have the option to use bluetooth for a2dp
Old 04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the ISHD651 in the other day, but haven't had time to have it setup. Will let you know how it performs once it's installed. I've been waiting for this model to release since the BT is integrated and not as an add-on like how the ISHD571 would need the ISBT.
The following users liked this post:
Randman (04-29-2013)
Old 05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
10th Gear

im trying to install it right now but i think my tl has xm nav traffic... everything plays except for displaying the music on the nav. let me know how things are going for you
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by lookitswillie
im trying to install it right now but i think my tl has xm nav traffic... everything plays except for displaying the music on the nav. let me know how things are going for you
I'm gonna have it installed Saturday once my schedule opens up for me; I'll provide details once it's completed. But I do know this - if you have XM Nav-Traffic, the ISHD651 is NOT compatible.

Check the compatibility notes:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

This may be the source of your music display issue.
thoiboi (10-10-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM
10th Gear

Just providing an update to the ISHD651... And apologies for a lengthy message, but I thought a decent review of each mode would be beneficial for those interested in what this product has to offer.

I finally had time to do the install on Saturday, and as that saying goes, "good things come to those who wait". I got this module about a month ago after researching for a BT solution (my OEM BT crapped out, like many of you who have fallen victim to the BT flaw of the 3G TL's), and this one had it integrated as an "all-in-one". Found the module cheaper than markup price on Amazon and I went for it. The seller inadvertently sent me the GM version and shipping and getting the right one back took another week and a half. But even when I got the right part, I just didn't have the time to get to it.

I initially tried installing myself, but to no avail - the module wouldn't respond to any of the button commands I pressed after connecting my iPhone 5, even after disconnecting and reconnecting 3x. I even had my brother in law try out his iPhone 4s, and he too, was out of luck. Fortunately I have a friend who's an installer @ Best Buy. I brought the TL over to him and he tried to install, and the same issue came about. He then swapped out the module with another one (NOTE: the ISIM51 is the EXACT same module as the ISHD651, just named differently; the difference is the ISIM51 module costs $50 more retail and the packaging is different).

Once the swap was done, the new module responded right away. So in essence, the module I got was a DUD, and luckily my buddy helped me out... else it would have been an even longer wait.

Connecting via BT was simple (pun intended) by selecting IPODBT mode, and after pairing your device, streaming to the stereo is a breeze. Placing calls is also fairly easy, and call quality is great. Few things to note while in IPODBT mode:

* While making a call - if you need to raise the volume up to hear the caller, and your call ends, the volume stays at that level, and it doesn't revert back to the volume level prior to the call. Just a warning for those who don't want an impromptu musical "surprise" from the speakers

* If you get a text or alerts (such as ESPN ScoreCenter, Tweets, etc.), the sound(s) will be audible through your speakers and will be heard at the same time the music is playing - thus making songs muted out, per se. These same sounds did not come through the speakers in IPODUSB mode for me.

I tried the IPODUSB mode, and it works great as well. Song text functionality work for both IPODBT and IPODUSB, respectively. I tested out Pandora using both modes and sound quality was good - as expected.

I haven't tried the USB Thumb-drive option yet, but I assume that it works the same way as an iPhone/iPod would read music files and folders.

I do not have an Android, but again I suppose the functionality works similarly to that of iPhone devices.

I tried the Auxiliary option (AUX2 for me, as AUX1 port is an empty connection), which I connected the RCA cable to my daughter's iPad. The songs played as expected and sound quality was great. To surprise my daughter while testing this out, I had her play one of her movies with the RCA cable connected. It was instant surround sound bliss for an almost 6yr old girl watching Alvin and the Chipmunks; and hearing my name through the speakers over and over (take a guess which Chipmunk I'm named after) was a gift and a curse. This is a good option to have should you need to stay in the car for a period of time and you want to watch a movie with better sound than your iPhone/Android device or iPad.

Those that already have an iSimple device installed will know this, but you need to have patience to cycle through the various modes connecting. If for some reason you goof up and the connection attempt doesn't register, just hit the "AM/FM" button, then the "XM" button to restart the process.

If anyone has questions, feel free to contact me. I'll do my best to answer.

And for good measure, here are the specs for the ISHD651:

Full control for iPhone: Wirelessly (Bluetooth) or Wired (using customer’s Apple USB cable)
Basic control for Android: Wirelessly (Bluetooth)
USB Thumb-drive support: upto 32GB and upto 8,000 MP3 files
2.1 Amp USB connection for charging of smartphones, tablets, and media players
Android audio streaming and wireless track control through Bluetooth connection
Built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling (HFP) and audio streaming (A2DP)
Song text (metadata) on factory radio
Auxiliary audio input (3.5mm or RCA)
The following 5 users liked this post by eyebeemeeh24:
BxTrini_TL (10-19-2013), Gil'sUA5 (08-21-2013), Topher707 (05-16-2013), wusty23jd (06-02-2015), yosh415 (07-20-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
nice review ALVIN!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by pohljm:
eyebeemeeh24 (05-14-2013), yosh415 (07-20-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
2022 MDX Advance

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So did you have any success in getting this to work with XM Nav Traffic? I really want this model over the ISHD571 because of the usb input, but I have a XM Nav Traffic. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:55 AM
spoiled brat

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just installed this in my tl without xm and the quality of bluetooth and usb is amazing.

It lets you control your music manually from your ipod/iphone or you can use the steering wheel controls/radio.

Didn't even have to take apart anything just lined it up with the xm port and pushed it in with a chopstick lol the install took less then 5 minutes.

Last edited by fcuked; 08-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by fcuked
Just installed this in my tl without xm and the quality of bluetooth and usb is amazing.

It lets you control your music manually from your ipod/iphone or you can use the steering wheel controls/radio.

Didn't even have to take apart anything just lined it up with the xm port and pushed it in with a chopstick lol the install took less then 5 minutes.
Did you notice a difference between the bluetooth audio streaming and connecting your phone/ipod via USB? Im guessing the bluetooth audio sound quality isnt as good (not saying it isnt good at all). I have no idea why people would buy the ISHD 571 unit considering it needs the add on just to have bluetooth and the ISHD 651 is not much more expensive than the 571.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:58 AM
spoiled brat

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
Did you notice a difference between the bluetooth audio streaming and connecting your phone/ipod via USB? Im guessing the bluetooth audio sound quality isnt as good (not saying it isnt good at all). I have no idea why people would buy the ISHD 571 unit considering it needs the add on just to have bluetooth and the ISHD 651 is not much more expensive than the 571.
It sounds the same to me but I have 2 12" subs and upgraded speakers so I don't know how it'll sound with the stock system.

Get the ISHD651 it's definitely worth the extra money and I love how your not stuck with the stupid 30-pin connector you can use your own USB cable.

The ISHD651 will not work if your tl has xm-nav traffic.

Last edited by fcuked; 08-21-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 AM
Pro

It sounds the same to me but I have 2 12" subs and upgraded speakers so I don't know how it'll sound with the stock system.

Get the ISHD651 it's definitely worth the extra money and I love how your not stuck with the stupid 30-pin connector you can use your own USB cable.

The ISHD651 will not work if your tl has xm-nav traffic.
My system isnt stock either and mine is non nav, where did you install the USB adaptor? Is it inside the cubby hole under the radio? Ive seen a lot of people put it there and also in the armrest. I believe there's cutting involved in both though to fit the USB adapter.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 AM
spoiled brat

Originally Posted by Gil'sUA5
My system isnt stock either and mine is non nav, where did you install the USB adaptor? Is it inside the cubby hole under the radio? Ive seen a lot of people put it there and also in the armrest. I believe there's cutting involved in both though to fit the USB adapter.
I did it without having to take anything apart I didn't have to cut anything either. I only had to take out the two screws in the arm rest under the rubber thing so I could run the USB adapter under the center console to the arm rest.

I just tucked the cables and unit in the panels on your right driver side knee and ran the usb adapter to the arm rest.

I also have access to the unit without having to take anything apart to get to it.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.

Last edited by fcuked; 08-21-2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:14 AM
Pro

I did it without having to take anything apart I didn't have to cut anything either. I only had to take out the two screws in the arm rest under the rubber thing so I could run the USB adapter under the center console to the arm rest.

I just tucked the cables and unit in the panels on your right driver side knee and ran the usb adapter to the arm rest.

I also have access to the unit without having to take anything apart to get to it.

I'll take pictures tomorrow.
Please do!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:59 AM
spoiled brat

Hope this is enough the quality sucks... my iPhone 5 camera sucks dust keeps getting under it need to exchange it at the apple store again... 3rd phone.

Here's how I installed it without taking anything apart or or having to cut/modify anything.
1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

Last edited by fcuked; 08-21-2013 at 06:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fcuked:
BxTrini_TL (10-19-2013), hgigh (08-23-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Pro

That does look clean man and no need for perfect pics considering we all have the same car so im very familiar with the areas pictured. Even though that looks good in the armrest have you seen it in the cubby? Its completely hidden you and im sure you can do that with the armrest too but i put things in my armrest so id rather have that free and clear of anything. I'll post pics after my install.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did this install in my 2004 TL with Nav. No traffic. When I fired it up, I got this

Name:  photo_zpsfec39631.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  43.7 KB

Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Racer

Turn the right knob to iPod.

Joe
Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
what year and models come with the xm nav traffic? this may be my next purchase, im sick of having to make new cds all the damn time and don't want to spend alot to replace the head unit since i may end up selling the car in the future. just want something to plug and play to use and alternative source. does this only work with ipods? or can you hook up an phone (android) and stream pandora?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Anyone?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
I just ordered this for my 08 TL base with nav traffic. Do all the other functions work, it just doesn't display info on the nav screen? Like does it display info up above where the clock is? Do steering wheel controls work?

What's a good alternative to this unit if you have nav traffic?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Anyone?
I think its the 07 and 08s. Don't quote me though. Im like 85% sure
BreezyTL (10-18-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Coming in a little late to this conversation.
I have a 2009 MDX Elite (CDN version, basically loaded with everyone).

I have a ISHD571 installed from a few years ago and it has been working well. I used it with the 30pin dock, as well as an aux input for other sources and WDTV that was used in the vehicle for extended periods of waiting in the car.
Now having an iphone 5s, and a few other devices that can stream via bluetooth, I would like to make some changes.

I would like to add bluetooth streaming, so have been looking at either the ISHD651 as a complete replacement, or the ISBT21 add on for the ISHD571. However, the downside that I see is that you have to be on the isimple connect (either sat, aux, ipod, usb etc) in order to send or receive calls. Sending is no big deal, just hit the button. However I often use the radio for traffic information.

So I have a few questions.
1. Does the steering wheel phone controls work? From what I can see, you have to use buttons 1 and 2 on the radio.
2. If you are using the radio and a call comes in, can you just push xm, it will reconnect to the phone, and pick up the call? Or are you SOL in that situation?
3. Do you have to disconnect the factory bluetooth? I would love to be able to use siri through either the add on or ISHD651 instead of the less than functional Acura HFL. for calling, sending texts, or getting information etc. The reason I ask is for question #2
4. If you can leave the factory HFL connected, would it be possible to have the phone connected to both the ISHD651 and HFL, so that if you are on the radio (AM/FM), the HFL picks up the incoming call, otherwise the ISHD651 (or ISBT21) would pick up the call if you are on one of the isimple inputs (aux, usb, BT, sat, etc).

I know it is getting a little complicated. The bottom line is that I would like to have bluetooth streaming if possible (not 100% necessary, I could always use the wired connection via USB on the ISHD651 or an adapter on the ISHD571), but would like to use siri for other bluetooth functions, without running into any functionality issues (ie you have to be on a certain setting for things to work, or it won't route a call through bluetooth unless you are on a certain function).

I really hope that makes sense...
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For everyone still looking at this these days, I just got my iSimple installed yesterday and everything works great. Sound quality is great with all channels (USB, Bluetooth, and AUX), USB is my favorite feature since it charges and plays music. I got mine professionally installed from fear of screwing something up, so the total cost of the unit and the installation was about $220. I bought my unit from HiFi Sound Connection for like $105 and installation was about $115. Very satisfied, just need to get used to the controls. Also very glad I can still use the steering wheel controls.

Here's the link to HiFi Sound Connection:
iSimple ISHD651 Premium Factory Radio Interface w/ USB Thumb-Drive Support 32GB - ISM13-ISHD651
JPerkMr954 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
What would I need in order to get the iSimple ishd651 to work in my 08 Type S? I don't have a XM radio subscription, nor do I plan on using XM traffic if i get one.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by nismotypeS
What would I need in order to get the iSimple ishd651 to work in my 08 Type S? I don't have a XM radio subscription, nor do I plan on using XM traffic if i get one.
you don't need to have XM subscrition or XM traffic.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nismotypeS
I assume you're just asking if it matters that your car is a Type-S, which it doesn't. I have a 2006 TL with Navi and it works fine. You use the XM mode button to basically "turn on"' the iSimple unit then select the specific mode from there (AUX, USB, Bluetooth, etc.), but XM really isn't really related to the unit itself. If you have XM traffic, which you don't, that would be a problem. Bottom line, it should work fine in your car.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Glad to see this thread... I was on the fence about getting this, but I'll be going forward!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

I'm looking at this too for my '05 TL w/nav and have a few questions. I'm looking at both the isimple ISHD651 and USA Spec BT45-HON3. My factory BT died so I'm looking to restore that capability. For another twist, I want to install a mount from pro-clips w/built-in charger for my iphone 5.

With isimple or USA spec, do I lose the use of XM? I don't want to lose my XM.
Should I just buy the factory BT unit and a lower cost aux USB unit for the mount? I mean, if I'm wired into the mount, why would I need BT streaming?

Apple iPhone 5c with a Case Adjustable Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and USB Cigarette Lighter Plug for Small to Medium Cases-ProClip USA

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcas531
I'm looking at this too for my '05 TL w/nav and have a few questions. I'm looking at both the isimple ISHD651 and USA Spec BT45-HON3. My factory BT died so I'm looking to restore that capability. For another twist, I want to install a mount from pro-clips w/built-in charger for my iphone 5.

With isimple or USA spec, do I lose the use of XM? I don't want to lose my XM.
Should I just buy the factory BT unit and a lower cost aux USB unit for the mount? I mean, if I'm wired into the mount, why would I need BT streaming?

Apple iPhone 5c with a Case Adjustable Charging Holder with Tilt Swivel and USB Cigarette Lighter Plug for Small to Medium Cases-ProClip USA

Thanks for your input!
First, the iSimple does NOT disable your XM services. XM is just another option on the list when you scroll through after pressing the XM button.

Based on the amount of people who have gotten iSimple and my experience with it, I would go for it over USA spec. I mostly use the USB to play music through, but have tested the Bluetooth and AUX which also both work (and sound) great. I like the clip idea and haven't done much research about them myself, but I would think you could get one for a lower cost and use it with the iSimple no matter what "channel" your using (USB, Bluetooth, or AUX).

So to put it simply (no pun intended) I would go with the iSimple and maybe try to find a cheaper clip as long as you have another USB cord to use and don't need one built in.

Good luck!
smsTL (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
My CD player is jammed so I bought a new one from eBay and decided to add ISHD651 to my 07 TL-S so I don't run into CD player issues again. Hopefully I will be able get some time to install them this weekend.

Thanks everyone for your helpful posts.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
ISHD651 is not working well with my 07 TL-S.

What is working (somewhat):
  • Bluetooth - only Tune nub works with next/previous track, No Text display, okay sound quality, doesn't always connect to my GS4.
  • AUX - somewhat low volume, okay sound quality
What is not working:
  • USB stick
  • Plug my phone through USB
  • Not able to switch different mode.

iSimple ISHD651 - this is all i get through my XM1/2 screen

I just bought USA Spec I will see how that will turn out. All I want is to be able play music from USB stick.

Last edited by smsTL; 10-18-2015 at 01:16 PM.