Making DVD-Video to DVD-Audio or DTS-CD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making DVD-Video to DVD-Audio or DTS-CD?

Ok, I have searched and searched, and am having trouble getting my dvd-videos...particularly the Eagles...on a dvd of some sort to play in my TL.

Is this the correct procedure ?

I have extracted the audio using DVD Audio Extractor, I now have 6 wavs per track.
Now I am trying to encode them using SurCode DVD-DTS...but this is where Im stuck I guess...I have the demo which cant encode, and I dont feel like splurging on a new app for my computer at this point @ 500 a pop.
Once those 6 channels are encoded I guess its just a matter of burning it onto a DVD-R or +R at that point?

Is there any easier, free way/programs for me to take the audio off my my DVD-Video and put it onto a DVD-Audio or even a DTS-CD disc to play in the TL? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you read this thread by Actuary?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129253

Actuary and/or Adobeman should come soon and help you out.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by datmrman
Have you read this thread by Actuary?
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129253

Actuary and/or Adobeman should come soon and help you out.
Ok - so it looks like after dvd audio extractor I can use DVD-Audio Solo to take the 6 wavs and convert that to an ISO I can burn with nero?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by automag928
Ok - so it looks like after dvd audio extractor I can use DVD-Audio Solo to take the 6 wavs and convert that to an ISO I can burn with nero?
Yes, you can use Solo to create an ISO image and then burn with Nero. Solo also has a built in burning interface as well so you can burn directly from it as well.

DVD Audio Solo won't create DTS. However, since the TL head unit is notorious for "popping" so badly with DTS disks this is probably a good thing. Depending on the source material, Solo can produce some really good multi-channel disks. I've ripped DD5.1 encoded DVD-V and made some really cool DVD-As from it for the car.

You might want to extract to 6ch wav files. That is, one wav file with 6 channels inside rather than one wav file per channel. If you do it the 6 file per song way it is a bit more cumbersome to load. Here is the text from Cirlinca. As you can see the file naming is particular and you have to tell it how many files per song every time you add a track (see the bold part of the quote below). Trust me, a 6chwav is the way to go. I think your extractor supports that option as an output

Originally Posted by From DVD Audio Solo Help
Importing multi-channel tracks into Solo will depend how you prepared them, according to either of 2 methods :

a) All channels are merged into a single .wav file

In this case, simply drag & drop this file from the File Explorer View to the Project View, or click it in the File Explorer View. The import panel will display the number of channels of the audio file, from 1 to 6.

b) Each channel from the multi-channel track is a single mono .wav file.

This method is used by some professional authoring software. To illustrate, let's take an example with a 6 channels track. The 6 mono files are my6chantrack_FL.wav for Front Left, my6chantrack_FR.wav for Front Right, my6chantrack_C.wav for Center, my6chantrack_LFE.wav for LFE, my6chantrack_SL.wav for Surround Left, my6chantrack_SR.wav for Surround Right. To import them in one operation, proceed like case a) and drag & drop or click one file from the set (anyone will do, e.g. my6chantrack_C.wav) AND set the output channel count to 6 in the Import panel to tell Solo there are 5 other files in the set. Solo will determine the root name of each file (in this case my6chantrack). It will then append the right postfix, from the following set {_FL, _FR, _C, _LFE, _SL, _SR} to calculate the set of file paths. Make sure you follow this naming convention. Lastly, Solo will prepend an indicator (6) in front of the track title to remind this is a merged track.

The following channels arrangement is expected :

1 channel : mono
2 channels : stereo
3 channels : FL, FR, LFE
4 channels : FL, FR, SL, SR
5 channels : FL, FR, SL, SR, LFE
6 channels : FL, FR, SL, SR, C, LFE
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Out of curiosity, can I put a bunch of CDA files on the DVD-R and play it in the TL? Just wondering since the DVDR can hold a lot more than a normal CDR
Old 03-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtin
Out of curiosity, can I put a bunch of CDA files on the DVD-R and play it in the TL? Just wondering since the DVDR can hold a lot more than a normal CDR
xtin, the answer to that one is no. Files must be converted to WAV and using Adobeman's Scripts to process and format the data. An ISO image will be created ready to burn onto a DVD -R disc. Voila, DVD-A (albeit 2 channel) for your listening pleasure in your TL. I've made 14 compilation discs with his scripts with anywhere from 87-94 songs per disc. IMO, better than MP3s. Forgot to mention that all the info/instructions you need is on that page.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I've ripped DD5.1 encoded DVD-V and made some really cool DVD-As from it for the car.
This is exactly what I wanted to here...I've got the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD and thought, damn, it would be nice to play that in the car without having to buy the dvd-audio version of it...why pay twice (actually three times since I just bought the 2 disc set of their greatest hits) for the same thing?

You might want to extract to 6ch wav files. That is, one wav file with 6 channels inside rather than one wav file per channel. If you do it the 6 file per song way it is a bit more cumbersome to load. Trust me, a 6chwav is the way to go. I think your extractor supports that option as an output
Yes, I see that now...And it defiently is easier keeping track of a few tracks versus 6 wavs per track! I'm burning now (I think) via DVD-Audio solo, so we will see what happens!
Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by xtin
xtin,

That would be great wouldn't it ! But nope.

My scripts might seem daunting at first but they work for many folks. I agree with Hawhyen51 (thanks again for the props) about the CD vs mp3. I added mp3 decoding support since so many people want it but I can really hear a difference in the TL between mp3s and stuff I rip from CD. I did a test between ripped CDs on DVDA and mp3s I made of the same content. I used LAME mp3 encoder at 192K and 192K is much better than most people make their mp3s. So the word is, if you have the CDs, use them rather than any mp3s you have on other devices (iPods, etc). In DVDA there is no advantage to mp3s at all since they take up the same amount of disk space as a song from a CD.

Reply to this thread of PM me if you need help with the scripts.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

This is exactly what I wanted to here...I've got the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD and thought, damn, it would be nice to play that in the car without having to buy the dvd-audio version of it...why pay twice (actually three times since I just bought the 2 disc set of their greatest hits) for the same thing?

Yes, I see that now...And it defiently is easier keeping track of a few tracks versus 6 wavs per track! I'm burning now (I think) via DVD-Audio solo, so we will see what happens!
Ok...slight problem I see here...It plays, but only has 5 tracks vs the 21 chapters in the dvd-video. I guess my problem stems from when I run Audio Extractor, and I choose the dvd in the drive, all 21 chapters show up, the title shows up, but in the audio box all I have is "unspecified". When I select all of the chapters and hit next, a box pops up saying Please select at least one chapter to continue.

So what I did was use DVDDecrypter to rip the VOB files to the harddrive, I tried using that folder as the source, and again all 21 chapters show up, audio is still "unspecified" and same pop up box. So what I tried next was manually selected each VOB to extract, and that worked fine...any suggestions to do this the right way? Thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Ok...slight problem I see here...It plays, but only has 5 tracks vs the 21 chapters in the dvd-video. I guess my problem stems from when I run Audio Extractor, and I choose the dvd in the drive, all 21 chapters show up, the title shows up, but in the audio box all I have is "unspecified". When I select all of the chapters and hit next, a box pops up saying Please select at least one chapter to continue.

So what I did was use DVDDecrypter to rip the VOB files to the harddrive, I tried using that folder as the source, and again all 21 chapters show up, audio is still "unspecified" and same pop up box. So what I tried next was manually selected each VOB to extract, and that worked fine...any suggestions to do this the right way? Thanks
Did you rip just the VOBs? I think you will need the whole DVD structure or at least the IFO file for the title set of the VOBs. I think most of the stream info for the VOB is in some of the .IFO files. To my knowledge, the IFO files tell players what streams (audio and video) and chapters are in the DVD. Try using DVDDecrypter in "File" mode and rip the entire disc. Hopefully that will help.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Intermediate

Did you rip just the VOBs? I think you will need the whole DVD structure or at least the IFO file for the title set of the VOBs. I think most of the stream info for the VOB is in some of the .IFO files. To my knowledge, the IFO files tell players what streams (audio and video) and chapters are in the DVD. Try using DVDDecrypter in "File" mode and rip the entire disc. Hopefully that will help.
No I ripped the whole DVD...IFOs and VOBs in file mode via DVD Decrypter...The problem is DVD Audio Extractor doesnt "see" the audio on all the chapters...Pictures speak a thousand words, so hopefully this helps -

This is trying to load the whole DVD folder after being ripped, into DVD Audio Extractor or straight via the DVD into audio extractor...

And this is what I get if I just chose my source as one of the 5 VOBs via "File - Open Single DVD VOB file" -

And looks like there are problems with the dvd-a...it only plays 30 secs to a minute of each of the 5 tracks, and then goes onto the next one...so, looks like Im stuck at this point!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

I don't have DVD Decrypter handy right now on the computer I am using so I may be off on this. I'm pretty sure there are ways to tell DVD Decrypter to strip out certain audio streams when you rip. The thing is I though all that didn't apply to "File" mode. You might want to double-check that. Make sure that DVD Decrypter isn't set to strip out any streams.

Not sure exactly which Eagles disk this is but if it is a DVD-V are there any DD5.1 tracks ? DTS does usually sound better but if there is also a parallel DD5.1 stream you might want to try to use it.

Also, if you have a software DVD player on your PC that can play DTS (Like WinDVD6) then try and load the VOBs on your HDD and make sure they play OK /wrt to the sound. Make sure your software DVD player does DTS though.

I don't have the Eagles disk but I have some movies that only kept the DTS stream so I can see where I get with those. I can also look into some other combination of tools that might get it done. They will probably be a combination of command line tools. It might be a while since I am pretty busy these days.

You might also want to PM Actuary since he has done more with DTS tracks than I have.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Ok...slight problem I see here...It plays, but only has 5 tracks vs the 21 chapters in the dvd-video. I guess my problem stems from when I run Audio Extractor, and I choose the dvd in the drive, all 21 chapters show up, the title shows up, but in the audio box all I have is "unspecified".
What DVD are those images from. The Length and Sectors are quite different from what is displayed with mine. Also, the title box with mine shows both:

English LPCM (48kHz 16 bit 2Ch)
English DTS (48kHz 5Ch)

I wonder if your DVD-V is suspect. I did not need to used DVD Decrypter first to do the extract to create the DVD-A, just DVD Audio Extractor then DVD Audio Solo.