Mac DVD A

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:21 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mac DVD A

is there a program for download that will allow you to create a DVD A using a apple computer?

i keep reading but its all for windows.....
please advise
Old 10-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am interested in this as well.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Discwelder Bronze for MAC, but it's not free. It costs around $100.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

i will ck into it. its sounds great. 100.00 buck may be worth it as i am a dj and cant listen to any mp3's in my ride/////i mean i only have over 120 GB's of beats..
thanks again for the tip!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced

I've heard of some open source stuff that you might be able to get working on the mac, but I just bought discwelder Bronze. Its the entry level DVD-A authoring tool from the company, but it works pretty well for my modest needs.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

tell me more....

is it a simple drag and drop program?
take a mp3 from ur itunes lib, drop it in a window, then bronze decodes, encodes, bla bla, .......?

then bronze spits out a playlist,,,,,,burn that playlist on a dvd-+r 4.7 or 8.5??
throw it in the 06 acura tl radio and it plays?????

is it that simple??? please advise!!!!????thanks!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:16 PM
6th Gear

There is a free program called DVD-Audiofile that I downloaded off of versiontracker.com. It will convert .wav and .flac files to an ISO file on your desktop. Then just use disc utility to burn the dvd. You can use itunes to convert your mp3's to wav.

Hope this helps... (this is my first post by the way been lurking for a while and just happen to find a thread that I could contribute to!)
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

i will def ck out version tracker. is it a simple drag and drop?

so take a playlist in mp3-
convert it all to wav. in itunes-
and burn in itunes?

how do u burn in disc utility?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:08 AM
6th Gear

1 Make a new folder on your desktop (name it whatever you want)
2 In itunes convert the mp3s you want to .wav
3 In itunes select all the .wav files and drag them to the new desktop folder
4 Launch DVD-Audiofile and drag the new folder into the application
5 Click "create .iso" button (it will create a .iso file on your desktop)
6 Open Disc Utility from your applications/utility folder
7 The .iso file will show up on the left side, highlight it and press burn.
8 Once your done you can delete the folder on your desktop and the .wav files in itunes if you want.

It seems like a lot of steps, but its really easy and the important part is its FREE!!

Definitly worth a try...i just put 3 Jay Z CD's all on one DVD-Audio disc!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:58 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

Originally Posted by jct9093
1 Make a new folder on your desktop (name it whatever you want)
2 In itunes convert the mp3s you want to .wav
3 In itunes select all the .wav files and drag them to the new desktop folder
4 Launch DVD-Audiofile and drag the new folder into the application
5 Click "create .iso" button (it will create a .iso file on your desktop)
6 Open Disc Utility from your applications/utility folder
7 The .iso file will show up on the left side, highlight it and press burn.
8 Once your done you can delete the folder on your desktop and the .wav files in itunes if you want.

It seems like a lot of steps, but its really easy and the important part is its FREE!!

Definitly worth a try...i just put 3 Jay Z CD's all on one DVD-Audio disc!
wow! that easy huh? iwill def try it today. thanks so much for the tip. what kind of dvds r u using???? dvd -r or +r...?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Just wanted to say, i recently switched from windows to OSX, what a kickass piece of software. I love how there are some many different custom little applications that everyone shares. Everyone should have a mac! This is great that we can do this now, i was getting tired of having to run to my old pc to burn some dvd-a's
Old 10-24-2006, 03:29 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by sistim turbo
wow! that easy huh? iwill def try it today. thanks so much for the tip. what kind of dvds r u using???? dvd -r or +r...?

No prob... I am using DVD-R discs. Haven't tried any other type yet... Give it a shot let me know how you make out
Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by The Dougler
Just wanted to say, i recently switched from windows to OSX, what a kickass piece of software. I love how there are some many different custom little applications that everyone shares. Everyone should have a mac! This is great that we can do this now, i was getting tired of having to run to my old pc to burn some dvd-a's

I LOVE to see this post!! I work for Apple and its nice to hear "switchers" enjoying their macs!! Spread the word!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Unofficial Goat

actually i have converted 2 friends, the day i got my macbook my friend immediatly ordered his after seeing the performance (he was in the market before hand just took a little prodding) and another friend of mine grabbed a mini after using OSX for ten minutes (he was also in the market)
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Unofficial Goat

The only thing that sucks is DVD-Audiofile is for powerpc macs, it wouldnt run on my intel based macbook.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
6th Gear

douh! My bad...I over looked that one
Old 10-25-2006, 08:13 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

first off, dvd audiofile is the stuff!!!! it worked great. i used dvd-r w no problems......,,,,,no need for mp3's now..... i can now take advantage to the dvd A in the tl. never thought i was going to use it since all my music is mp3. it was a big doubt when buying the 06 tl,,, but i thought i would just take advatage of the Xm.

thanks so much for the program. it sucks it doesnt work on the new intels macs. thinking of getting one soon. i already have 3 macs. 2 at home and one at school.
all i got to say is that iam a teacher and going for technology for my masters. mac is and will over power windows for the creative mind. i hate windows and would never buy a windows pc. they only thing i hate about apple is the fact that they come out with new stuff everytime, every 6 months. thats technology for ya. but i wish it was just more software updates that hardware.

any who,, thanks again so much for the program.
i love the fact that i can burn a dvd A!!!!!!!
iam very excited!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

SWEET! Im glad it worked out for you. I too was like what the hell am I going to do with this DVD-A player in my new TL. After looking and looking all i found was a crap load of classical music and other titles that my parents dont even listen to. So i thought this program was a way to at least get my music (techno/dance, hip-hop/r&b) into DVD format for the ride.

Amen on the Apple rant...we need to change the world one user at a time!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

Originally Posted by jct9093
SWEET! Im glad it worked out for you. I too was like what the hell am I going to do with this DVD-A player in my new TL. After looking and looking all i found was a crap load of classical music and other titles that my parents dont even listen to. So i thought this program was a way to at least get my music (techno/dance, hip-hop/r&b) into DVD format for the ride.

Amen on the Apple rant...we need to change the world one user at a time!

werd!!!!!!! ck out our web site for some nice dance downloads....

www.hardbazzfusion.com

Old 10-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Advanced

tell me more....

is it a simple drag and drop program?
take a mp3 from ur itunes lib, drop it in a window, then bronze decodes, encodes, bla bla, .......?

then bronze spits out a playlist,,,,,,burn that playlist on a dvd-+r 4.7 or 8.5??
throw it in the 06 acura tl radio and it plays?????

is it that simple??? please advise!!!!????thanks!
Its drag and drop, but won't transcode from a compressed format like .mp3. You need to have .wav or .aiff files for it to work. The bronze version only supports 99 tracks and can't do groups, but I was able to make a 99 track DVD-a of CD-quality sound so it was valuable. Plus, the ability to make 5.1 discs from the soundtrack of DVD-V discs (provided you extract the six audio tracks yourself) is useful to me.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
How about running Windows on one of those new Intel based Macs and running my GUI ?

OK, I'm kidding...seriously, not looking to start a war with you guys.

But, is there some kind of windows emulation package for older macks that might be able to run my original batch scripts to make an ISO file and then burn it with whatever you like ?

Just a thought.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:26 PM
now with four rings

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144949
Old 10-27-2006, 12:34 PM
now with four rings

and i forgot this one i posted back in the beginning of august...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=12
Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

so to make a dvd A on a mac (10.3.9 or lower) all you need is two version tracker apps and a dvd burner.

1. SWITCH (to convert to wav)
2. DVD Audiophile (to create an iso image)
3. DVD recorder/writer-toast)

thanks so much for bringing these two apps to my attention. i always knew of version tracter but was always too busy to add another small app to my computer. i never thought of looking there. duh!

SWITCH is great (however you can do the same thing in itunes) but as a dj this little program also help me out w other conversion projects. plus its easier than itunes, well just less tracks all over the place in ur library. just convert to wav and delete.

well, thanks again guys!! F*** mp3s in my ride---------TL rocks dvd A!
W T
W T
Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 AM
now with four rings

yeah, i use switch instead of itunes to convert my mp3s because i didn't want to mix together my music library with some converted wav files....the first link i posted up above is for making true dvd-audio discs (where there's 6 tracks in a wav file)...the quicker way to just make a dvd-a disc so you'll have a ton of songs is the 3-step mac way...
Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Post DVD-Audiofile not working for me....I think

I'm so excited that there's an option to make DVD-A discs via my Mac but the catch is, I can't get DVD-Audiofile to work. When I drop in .wav files and press the "create ISO" button, it always seems to hang on the first song and the progress bar never...progresses. Anyone have this problem? Or am I just being impatient and waiting long enough? I can't tell if it's working or not!

Thanks all ya'llz!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:38 PM
now with four rings

digiTL, yeah, i've experienced the same problem...and i've found it depends on what program you use to convert your mp3 files to wav...i've had 100% success with switch and itunes should work just as well...stay away from music man to convert your music files if importing them into dvd-audiofile -- it won't work for you...
Old 10-29-2006, 07:29 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

exactly the same problem here. itunes worked fine.. switch converted fine but didnt make a dvd. the progress bar never ended with more than 10 hrs of letting it sit,,, guess itunes will need to convert. i will keep you updated.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
now with four rings

switch converted fine but didnt make a dvd.
switch doesn't make dvd's...unless you mean something different

make sure you get the latest version of switch off of versiontracker...i had a problem with a previous version, but the latest one works great for me...
Old 10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

i ment switch converts fine,,, but then dvd audiofile doesnt allow me to create a .iso image. i will see if i have the lastest version. if i do and it still doesnt work i will just have to use itunes and have useless .wav tracks in my library. i guess i will just go back and delete them. thanks so much for your help. i will as always keep u posted.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

the latest version is switch 1.05
the latest version is dvd audiofile .73

do u have a later version?

also, now i am confused.
switch did convert to wav, but then dvd audiofile did not allow me to do a .iso image.

so i tried just converting w itunes,,,,made the wave file then tried to make a .iso image with dvd audio file,,,,it did NOT work!!!!!!! just that never ending progress bar...
so i am thinking it is something to do w dvd audiofile.......it worked the first time.
any ideas??"
Old 10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

I too am using Switch 1.05 and Dvd-Audiofile .73.
I posted a question on Versiontracker but still haven't gotten any response. It sounds like we all have the same problem. The developer keeps mentioning it works only with .flac and .wav files (with a standard header) on the "read-me" as well as his posts on Versiontracker. Mp3's converted to .wav's made in both Switch and iTunes result in the hanging progress bar so as you mentioned sistim turbo, it must be some bug in dvd-audiofile. But at least you got it to work once. I haven't had such luck!
What version of OSX are you running? I haven't upgraded to 10.4.8 yet. Still 10.4.7. Wonder if it'd help to upgrade?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:47 AM
•TEAM ACURA•

glad u posted that question on version tracker. iam just running 10.3.9 i am going to buy a new mac after x mas. but like i said , it work the first time like a charm. i was so excited and only made a 5 track dvd just to see if it worked,,,,,not a full dvd.
lets hope we get to the bottom of this. i really dont want to buy "bronze" as it is a mear 99 bucks. but if i have to i will. i cant listen to the radio bec it suks and i need to take advantage of this damn dvd a player.
keep me posted ,,,,and likewise!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:01 PM
now with four rings

alright, the problem you guys are having i've run into maybe twice before i was able to find a solution...first off, i'm running os x 10.4.8...i'm using the same version of dvd-audiofile as you guys (0.73) and switch 1.05...also, here's an excerpt from the FAQ on the developer's site for switch which may or may not apply to you:

Q. What file formats does the converter support?

Switch can open files in the following formats:

* wav (PCM, ADPCM, aLaw, uLaw, and others, see here)
* mp3 (MPEG Layer 3)
* au
* aif/aiff
* gsm
* vox
* raw
* ogg
* flac
* aac*
* m4a*
* mp2 (MPEG Layer 2)
* wma*+
* rm / ra / ram+
* dvf (Not all dvf recorders are supported)+
* msv (Not all msv recorders are supported)+
* dss (SP Mode only)+
* cda+
* .mov !
* .amr !

*Copy protected files are not decoded
+ Windows only
! Mac OS X only

Switch on a Windows computer can open most other formats which can be decoded by Windows Media Player

Switch on a Mac computer can open most other formats which can be decoded by QuickTime

Switch can also save files to the following formats:

* wav (PCM, ADPCM, aLaw, uLaw, and others, see here)
* mp3
* au
* aif/aiff
* gsm
* vox
* raw
* ogg
* flac
* aac
* m4a
* .mov (Mac only)
so, here's what i do, which is also stated in those links above...

1. pick my songs in itunes and copy them to a separate folder that i'm going to convert
2. open switch note - mount the .dmg file that you download for switch but DO NOT copy the program to your hard drive; run it off of the mounted .dmg file
3. load your songs into switch (i use the following settings for my wav ouput: stereo, 2 channels, 48000, pcm)
4. after converting your songs, load them into dvd-audiofile and create the iso
5. burn the iso using Toast or something similar

note - if you're still having problems after following these directions, delete your preference files for switch and dvd-audiofile and any other file that might go along with these programs...you can search for 'audiofile plist' and 'switch plist' in Spotlight (in the top-right corner of os x) to find these files...most files are of the .plist extension that you'll want to get rid of if you're having problems...you can also use AppZapper for os x that will let you drag n drop a program onto it and find all related files for that program...but you shouldn't have to go that far for this situation...

good luck and keep us posted...we'll resolve this one way or another because it works for other people, including myself...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

great answer...... i will def try this out. i will get back to you. i do hope this solves the issue
Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

Originally Posted by rimz
alright, the problem you guys are having i've run into maybe twice before i was able to find a solution...first off, i'm running os x 10.4.8...i'm using the same version of dvd-audiofile as you guys (0.73) and switch 1.05...also, here's an excerpt from the FAQ on the developer's site for switch which may or may not apply to you:

so, here's what i do, which is also stated in those links above...

1. pick my songs in itunes and copy them to a separate folder that i'm going to convert
2. open switch note - mount the .dmg file that you download for switch but DO NOT copy the program to your hard drive; run it off of the mounted .dmg file
3. load your songs into switch (i use the following settings for my wav ouput: stereo, 2 channels, 48000, pcm)
4. after converting your songs, load them into dvd-audiofile and create the iso
5. burn the iso using Toast or something similar

note - if you're still having problems after following these directions, delete your preference files for switch and dvd-audiofile and any other file that might go along with these programs...you can search for 'audiofile plist' and 'switch plist' in Spotlight (in the top-right corner of os x) to find these files...most files are of the .plist extension that you'll want to get rid of if you're having problems...you can also use AppZapper for os x that will let you drag n drop a program onto it and find all related files for that program...but you shouldn't have to go that far for this situation...

good luck and keep us posted...we'll resolve this one way or another because it works for other people, including myself...

so this is what iam NOT doing.......
i have switch loaded in my application folder.
ur saying i should just keep the .dmg file on my desktop and run it from there????
and NOT load it in my applications.

also, i will change my settings to the wav output to see if thats where the problems are. hopfully i will not need to do a "find" and delete all the applications....
if i do, just delete them and reinstal?????

thanks again for all ur continued help.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM
now with four rings

yeah, DO NOT run switch from your hard drive, including the applications folder...mount the DMG file, open the mounted disk image, and run switch from that...that way it will not write anything to your hard drive (because it's read-only while run from the mounted disk image) and will therefore run as-is, not inheriting any permissions or stuff like that...

if you have to delete any files, make sure it's just the ones for the program (switch or dvd-audiofile)...here's a screenshot of what spotlight found for switch (i didn't find anything for dvd-audiofile on my drive -- probably because it's in java)...

Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still no luck for me.
I'm trying everything on here and nothing.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
now with four rings

okay, if you've tried everything posted in this topic and still aren't having any luck, do this:

instead of converting your mp3's using itunes or switch, try using quicktime, keeping your settings similar to what i listed for switch up above...

in quicktime, load your mp3, go to file -> export and choose sound to wav, then hit options and make the necessary changes...

now see if it works...this is the long way of converting your files and this is how i made my first dvd-audio disc before i knew about switch...takes a few minutes but worked everytime for me...if this method doesn't work for you, then something in your system and/or settings can't be right...
Old 10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
•TEAM ACURA•

funny u should say permissions. after downloading the dvd app and switch, i went to disk utility and verified and reparied disc permissions. i do this always after downloading a new app. and since doing that it didnt work. i will try the above suggestion. hope it helps. u the man!

Quick Reply: Mac DVD A