Looking for a stock non-navi dash/bezel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:42 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a stock non-navi dash/bezel

I am looking for the stock TL Non-navi radio bezel, that goes around the stock LCD panel.

I plan to do a double din install and if successful, can have a local fab shop design a harness, and in dash kit for both single and double din.

The ONLY problem right now seems to be the stock LCD panel and buttons, need to be relocated.

It is possible to eliminate these buttons and screens, but is thousands of dollars in R&D that my shop cannot do, but Metra has, plenty of times (mazda6, 03-07 Accords, and many other cars where teh AC/radio control were blended in within teh circuit boards).

Anyhow, I need the trim/bezel. I have read of many people saying they bought it from $15-35 off ebay, but I don't see any.

Thanks guys, email is best, as I am not on the forums as much.

-Pathik
sk8pat777@yahoo.com
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have purchased several off ebay. You can also try junk yards. The buttons and circuit board are needed to operate the AC. you can hide the circuit board/LCD but still use the buttons. I checked with metra several weeks ago and according to rep they have no plans yet to create a kit for the TL.

If you are planning to add a aftermarket double din navi unit where the LCD panel I can tell you there is very little or no room behind the bezel. Maybe 3-4 inches b4 you hit metal. You would have to do major surgery there to make it fit.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I must replace the stock radio location? Is there room back there?

How are people putting indashes where the LCD goes,a dn putting LCDs where the storage is?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not wanting to hijack this thread but I'm in the middle of replacing my dead oem radio with this. Built in bluetooth phone, bluetooth audio, am/fm, ipod controls, 2 aux in, 3 sets of hi voltage pre-outs and a cd player that can handle all formats (mp3 etc). With add-on units it can also do HD radio, XM and 6 or 12 dics CD changer if desired.

I can tell you that oem radio is double din in size with the standard mounting hole. It is a very tight squeeze in the back where the RCAs and other wiring gets plugged into for an aftermarket head unit. The stock radio also acts as a structural piece to hold the LCD bezel and the compartment storage bins in place. This is in addition to the 2 metal side braces that hold the LCD and radio together. It is these two side braces that mount the radio/LCD to the dash board with four screws, 2 above the LCD and 2 next to the radio. Acura did a very good job at making things difficult for installing aftermarket head units. I have done many installs and audio fabrications and I can tell you it is a major pain to get an aftermarket HU installed. It is impossible? No but very difficult. I can see why Metra doesn't want to touch this.

Since there is very little room behind the LCD most of us with CARPCs are mounting the touchscreen monitors there and placing the computer in the trunk or glove compartment. The touchscreen connects to the computer via USB and VGA cable. All commands for the computer are done via the touchscreen. The cables/plugs that normally attached to the back of the stock LCD are extended to the compartment area where the LCD is placed.

I have some pictures on my camera. I can upload them if you want to get a visual on what I'm talking about.

Here is a diagram of the wiring in the back of the OEM Stock Acura radio