LOC Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
LOC Install Question

i was thinking about buying a stinger LOC as someone recomended, however i just want to make sure before i order it how it is connected. Are all the wires that are necessary for the install found in the stock sub wires, or do i need to tap into any wires from the right and left speakers.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Car Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stavebomb
i was thinking about buying a stinger LOC as someone recomended, however i just want to make sure before i order it how it is connected. Are all the wires that are necessary for the install found in the stock sub wires, or do i need to tap into any wires from the right and left speakers.
If you are just adding a mono sub amp then the stock sub wires are all you'll need.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Racer

ok, and if it is a 2 channel then i have to tap into the wires from the right and left speakers?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just join SUB -wire to split out to ur amp
Old 12-24-2007, 01:53 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I am doing my install today too. I'm wiring a Navone LOC with 2 inputs. I have all the speakers out and I'm replacing them with Infinitys. I'm splicing in both right and left channels. My amp is designed to take a stereo full range signal and it has it's own subsonic filter converting to mono. You may get a very different signal if you splice in directly from your sub. That signal has already been filtered for just bass....but according to the ELS's specs. If you take a full range signal you can get more accurate your bass response through your amp's adjustments. If you put your sound through so many filters/equalizers you won't be able to get the sound you want.

On the other had if you splice through your sub wires you have the advantage of being able to better fade them from your headunit's sub fader control. I don't have that problem since my amp also has a wired gain control unit to independently turn up or down the subs with a simple knob. I love this feature, I'm putting it under the dash.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinha916
just join SUB -wire to split out to ur amp
I dont quite understand, can you try to clarify this for me. i have never installed a LOC before. Thanks
Old 12-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Racer

ok well i ended up not getting the stinger LOC, and got a differnt one for free from my friend that works at circuit city, however this LOC has 5 wires. i assume 1 is for ground, and then one for right speaker power and 1 for right ground. and then 1 for left power and 1 for left ground. If i am looking to hook up this thing trough my factory SUB wires which wires do i need to connect? do all of the wires on the loc need to be connected to make it work?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Advanced

I'm having the same problem! I got my loc from curcit city and it has wires for two channels on it to. I took the posotives from the left and right channels, on the loc, and twisted them together then hooked them up to the posotive wire from the stock sub. I did the same with the negative wires and then I used the black wire as a groung. Still doesn't work though. If I figure this out I will send you some instructions. Sorry bud!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Racer

dang...is the brand that you bought from circuit city called axxess?
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Advanced

Yes it is. I'm wondering if it is broken. All I know is that it wasn't cheap and its funny that it doesn't come with instructions!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced

Well just got the sub working. The axcess loc was a peace of crap. It was not working so I had to go get a new loc. It works fine now. Get rid of that loc and get a new one!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 AM
Racer

yeah i installed mine today by hooking it up through the rear left and right speakers, and what i did was removed the rear seats and tapped into the wires that way and just ran the wires into the trunk... the bass is soooo weak though. i think my amp is bad. im gonna try a new amp and see if thats the problem. how did you install yours?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude hold on when u get a LOC for the sub you connect the one channel from the sub to one channel on the input side of the LOC and then split that channel on the output side where the RCAs come out...... with a y splitter 1 male to 2 female.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

if you split or combine lines you need to keep in mind your changing loads so instead of pushing 4 ohms youll b pushing 2
Old 12-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Safety Car

rocky same thing applies to the navone locs i used them and continue to use them. the amp outputs a heavy amount of wattage that gets converted in the LOC quickly u get about 9.8 volts output from the sub line. in order for the line to work correctly you split it at the output. as for the other lines the rear speakers you can leave alone but the front ones you HAVE to disconnect the tweeters. also keep in mind with a converter you CANNOT use a high wattage amp and a component speaker set.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Racer

ha. this ohms and audio shit is really confusing to me. i am more of a visual kinda guy. i just ended up installing the loc into the rear speakers. i dont get this splitting and y converter shit. all new to me.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:20 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by stavebomb
yeah i installed mine today by hooking it up through the rear left and right speakers, and what i did was removed the rear seats and tapped into the wires that way and just ran the wires into the trunk... the bass is soooo weak though. i think my amp is bad. im gonna try a new amp and see if thats the problem. how did you install yours?
stavebomb, did you get your LOC sorted out? if so, tell me what you did and how it sounds. I am planning to do this same install this weekend.

Also, your amp is probably ok......the bass is probably weak because you have tapped in to the right and left speakers. The factory system filters out the low frequencies from these speakers and sends it to the stock sub. Basically the signal getting to your amp has the low freq's (freq's your sub is made to produce) already filtered out (<80Hz ish?). This is why you have to tap in to the sub wires. The sub wires will have the low freq signal you're looking for and have the high freq's filtered out. Anybody know what the freq response and filters are coming through the stock sub?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

on the LOC you have 2 inputs (4wires) Left and right....connect the sub (2wires) to the right or left side.... not both. then on the output side connect a Y splitter on the left or right side (whichever side you chose for the sub) and run your RCAs off the y spitter (1 male 2 female) OR you can cut the RCAs and splice them together ( id say dont do that as there is room for interference and you dont want that). theres 2 reasons for connecting it like this first theres too much power delivery from the sub line on the output side (9.3 volts) so you HAVE to split the signal because amps are made to handle 5 volts per channel at most....second on the input side of the LOC you dont connect both channels to the sub line because you bridge it down at that point and burn either the stock car amp or your LOC. the LOC isnt meant to bridge or convert ohms. its an active pass-thru only to convert wattage to voltage for the aftermarket amp.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
on the LOC you have 2 inputs (4wires) Left and right....connect the sub (2wires) to the right or left side.... not both. then on the output side connect a Y splitter on the left or right side (whichever side you chose for the sub) and run your RCAs off the y spitter (1 male 2 female) OR you can cut the RCAs and splice them together ( id say dont do that as there is room for interference and you dont want that). theres 2 reasons for connecting it like this first theres too much power delivery from the sub line on the output side (9.3 volts) so you HAVE to split the signal because amps are made to handle 5 volts per channel at most....second on the input side of the LOC you dont connect both channels to the sub line because you bridge it down at that point and burn either the stock car amp or your LOC. the LOC isnt meant to bridge or convert ohms. its an active pass-thru only to convert wattage to voltage for the aftermarket amp.
thanks Tripnbeats. That was my plan. I was going to pick up the Y-splitter on my way home from work today.

sounds like you've done the same sort of thing. have you had any sound quality problems w/ the LOC? Also did you leave your stock sub in & connected or did you disconnect it?? I was thinking about taking it out so the opening would be sort of a port to the cabin area? Would this help w/ the annoying rear deck rattle? any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

sub disconnected.... along with all the other speakers except the center those went right in the garbage.... sound quality increased I went a lil silly with the system. for the deck i put down sound deadener on the metal under the deck and on the deck itself i put half inch filler foam....... the whole rest of the car i put sound deadener as well. in the doors i put a padded deadener .....that just absorbs a lot of annoying noises.... the box is ported to get rid of the noise the trunk makes when the box is sealed and I made the box out of fiberglass this time instead of wood. the locs i got from davidnavone.com best ones ive installed in a car by far.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
7th Gear

Got it in and hooked up Got the input sensitivity set with the LOC and amp per JL specs using a multimeter and it sounds good. I am running one JL 10W7 on a JL 500/1 amp and it is more than I need. I was actually expecting it to sound a little tighter...

Now I have to do what you did and go nuts w/ sound deadener. Sounds awesome inside except the rear deck rattle. I have to get rid of that!!! I am not ghetto fabulous so I like that its not ridiculously loud on the outside and there is only a minor rattle which I think is just the noise of the stupid rear deck bouncing off the rear window.

Did you do a fiberglass box that fits in the cubby hole in the back left of the trunk? I just have a basic square box built per the JL 10W7 specs but it takes up too much of the trunk. I think my next project will be a fiberglass box that fits in the cubby so I can have my trunk back. Might be tough to get the right volume for a 10W7 but it is already loud enough so I'm not worried about losing a little output w/ a smaller box. I saw in another thread that somebody sells them for ~$350 which seems a bit much so I was going to do my own.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
ok so just to clear this up...the subwoofer line has the Left wire and the Right wire...all I would be doing is joing one of those to the LOC and then from the LOC I use a y spliter and connect the amp to that...LOL is that it?

Also, which Navone LOC should I use if Im gonna just hook up subs?
davidnavone.com
Old 03-23-2008, 08:00 AM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by djspot
ok so just to clear this up...the subwoofer line has the Left wire and the Right wire...all I would be doing is joing one of those to the LOC and then from the LOC I use a y spliter and connect the amp to that...LOL is that it?

Also, which Navone LOC should I use if Im gonna just hook up subs?
davidnavone.com
the Navone NE7V I beleive that you will connect BOTH sub wires to the inputs, and with the 7V you shouldnt need the Y splitters since it only has one pair of RCA outs
Old 03-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Safety Car

mwalsh email david navone and they'll tell u how to connect it..... YOU NEED a y-splitter. ive done my homework.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 PM
all work and no play

ok I see where I screwed up in my thinking, I wasnt considering that the loc has left and right inputs and youre only useing a mono signal
Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Instructor

so tripnbeats do I got it right???

and is Mwalsh right about NE7V??
Old 03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
all work and no play

the subwoofer wont have a left and right it will only have a positive and negative since its a mono signal, you connect those two wires to the corrosponding wires on only one side of the loc....left or right whichever you want, you then put the Y on the output of the same side you wired your sub wires to and connect your rca's to the Y
the NE7V is the two channel loc that most people on here have used and recomend
Old 03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

yes and yes and yes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Instructor

LOL Thanks tripnbeats
Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Did you guys put the LOC before or after the stock amp? I researched all of this a while back and i seem to recall someone saying better sound quality is achieved when installed before the "sub wire" is amplified...
Old 03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
all work and no play

before the stock amp is a very weak signal, I've read numerous posts of people reporting success both ways, but have also read of people having problems with the weak signal. Your best bet will be to do a search and read up and make a decision.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Safety Car

yea im starting to run into problems but im thinking its from wiring.... im rewiring soon. i think its a bad rca for me =/
Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 AM
all work and no play

isnt troubleshooting wiring fun? lol
Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered Nutsack

I have my Navone wired after the amp - IE closest to the new amp. It's been a while but doesnt the NE7V come w/ directions saying to wire it closer to the new amp? I either read it from them or from Crutchfield. Either way, my bass is good and sound is great. I have a JL sub in the stock spot and a JL 250/1 amp in the trunk. Haha, wiring was a bitch and a half for me. I must've taken apart my rear seats,tray and trunk like 10 times trying to get everything to sound right
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

no lol..... i know its grounding somewhere and shutting the stock amp down from giving signal to the navone locs its driving me nuts and now i have to add more wires because i put a train horn on the car....so more relays and good stuff like that