LED's Around Navi/AC Are OUT!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED's Around Navi/AC Are OUT!!

2005 Acura TL

I was replacing my LED's that are around the navigation screen/and that control the AC because some of them were out and I was changing the color of the LED's I had replaced the four LED's on the right side and had them all working properly, when I started working on the left side I noticed that all of the ones on the right side were no longer working and that the one that was working on the left side was no longer working. I tried turning the LED's to make sure that they were connected correctly, and still no luck. After reconnecting the connector(s) in the back of the navigation screen correctly and then replacing the navigation screen itself the result remained the same. The only lights that are working are the Dual (green dot) on the left side and the Car symbol and front and rear defroster light (orange dot) for the AC on the right hand side. (Those are not LED's though!) If anyone can help me with this issue so that I can get my lights working on this again properly I would greatly appreciate it!!

- Navigation screen wasn't working prior to this.
- LED's/Lights for the radio (under navi.) are still working
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM
6th Gear

Same exact issue here today and all fuses are good. The housing around all the bulbs isn't getting any power after testing with meter. I'm at a loss right now
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 PM
6th Gear

So I removed all LEDs and tested each opening with the meter. No power going to bulb sockets but the main green plug connecting to nav (red/black wire) is showing voltage with lights turning on/off. Is it possible we both fried something internally in the nav screen??
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM
10th Gear

LED's Arounf Nav/AC Are OUT!!

Originally Posted by Jakub Majkut
So I removed all LEDs and tested each opening with the meter. No power going to bulb sockets but the main green plug connecting to nav (red/black wire) is showing voltage with lights turning on/off. Is it possible we both fried something internally in the nav screen??
Which fuse(s) did you check? I haven't proceed to checking the fuse just yet, mainly because I wasn't sure where it was located. I did look at the fuse box located down by the driver side foot, but didn't know which fuse to check exactly (Looking at the fuse guide). I do know that all of the bulbs are good, because I have other that I placed in the dash, heated seat, trunk button, etc. That could be a possibility, I'm to fig. out or get some help figuring out exactly what so that I can get this issue fixed. It's kind of difficult to change the A/C @ night with no lights!! It's still receiving power because when I unplug the green connector in the back I don't get any lights at all (Meaning the green or orange dot lights for AC Unit.), but when I reconnected the connector they were working again.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:24 AM
6th Gear

Well after messing with it for a while and taking it apart I eventually blew #4? Fuse I think. (Small lights) what it said on the fuse cover under the hood. But that took out the lights on the steering wheel, arm rest. Lower portion of the radio, heated seats and also all the parking lights
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
That's the fuse
Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 PM
6th Gear

Yup, and that fuse fixed all the lights besides the ones around the navi screen. All of those are still not getting power. Ive literally checked everything at this point and I'm at a loss
Old 08-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
When I was changing my Hazard Lights bulb to an LED, I blew the small lights fuse as well. It took out all of my internal lights.

If your HVAC lights are still not working/you can't figure it out, it may be easier to get those two circuit boards replaced. I recommend buying a cheap replacement HVAC unit on eBay or something, which will cost you $40-$50. My understanding is that the buttons underneath your navi screen are working, so you could just buy a cheap non-navi replacement, because all you need are the circuit boards underneath the side buttons. I bought an 04-06 HVAC unit for $40 on eBay two months ago. I plan to use this spare part for a future tablet install.

It's obviously up to you, but sometimes buying replacement parts are worth saving additional headaches/stress.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

04 05 06 07 08 ACURA TL "LEFT" CLIMATE CONTROL TEMPERATURE UNIT HVAC OEM C2090 | eBay

It looks like some vendors actually also sell the climate control buttons separately as well. That's also an option.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by wusty23jd
When I was changing my Hazard Lights bulb to an LED, I blew the small lights fuse as well. It took out all of my internal lights.

If your HVAC lights are still not working/you can't figure it out, it may be easier to get those two circuit boards replaced. I recommend buying a cheap replacement HVAC unit on eBay or something, which will cost you $40-$50. My understanding is that the buttons underneath your navi screen are working, so you could just buy a cheap non-navi replacement, because all you need are the circuit boards underneath the side buttons. I bought an 04-06 HVAC unit for $40 on eBay two months ago. I plan to use this spare part for a future tablet install.

It's obviously up to you, but sometimes buying replacement parts are worth saving additional headaches/stress.
Well, The HVAC buttons are working and the lights (green and orange dots) also work. It's just that the LED's no longer light up. So all I would need to do to get the LED's working again is to replace the circuit boards underneath on both sides of he navi screen. So did you purchase the 04-06 HVAC unit for the circuit boards alone or you just replaced the unit entirely?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Maybe, I'd have to show you a picture of what I"m talking about. I currently have them disassembled, so I can take a picture when I'm home from work.

You can disassemble the HVAC button clusters by removing a few screws to gain access to the circuit boards underneath. The orange and green lights (that you're referring to) are soldered to the circuit boards. There are hols in the circuit boards for where you twist the neo wedge bulbs replacement bulbs. In the circle openings, there are two metal contact points on the circuit board, one negative and one positive. When the bulb is twisted in with the correct polarity , they should light up if the LEDs are in working condition. If you think that you fried the leads going to the LEDs on the circuit board itslef, this would be a solution to that problem.

Have you tested your LEDs to make sure they are still in good working condition? You can do this with a multi meter or by testing the LEDs in another spot that is easy to access in your car such as your gague cluster.

Or, like Jakub Majkut , have you tested the boards themselves to see if the LED contact points are receiving power?
Old 08-11-2017, 01:47 PM
10th Gear

Maybe, I'd have to show you a picture of what I"m talking about. I currently have them disassembled, so I can take a picture when I'm home from work.

You can disassemble the HVAC button clusters by removing a few screws to gain access to the circuit boards underneath. The orange and green lights (that you're referring to) are soldered to the circuit boards. There are hols in the circuit boards for where you twist the neo wedge bulbs replacement bulbs. In the circle openings, there are two metal contact points on the circuit board, one negative and one positive. When the bulb is twisted in with the correct polarity , they should light up if the LEDs are in working condition. If you think that you fried the leads going to the LEDs on the circuit board itslef, this would be a solution to that problem.

Have you tested your LEDs to make sure they are still in good working condition? You can do this with a multi meter or by testing the LEDs in another spot that is easy to access in your car such as your gague cluster.

Or, like Jakub Majkut , have you tested the boards themselves to see if the LED contact points are receiving power?
Well, I have tested them in other areas and they worked and I have even changed them out with brand new LED's but still nothing. I would greatly appreciate those pictures when you get the chance. I will be working on this project this weekend and I haven't tested the boards.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:35 PM
6th Gear

Yeah I tested the led contact points and none of them are getting power. I'm getting a free navi screen tomorrow from a buddy so I'll be testing again. I was thinking those birds went bad too. Now I don't wanna try the leds in the again cuz if it dies again ill be pretty mad lol
Old 08-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Once you remove the cluster buttons, you just have to remove a few screws and clips to gain access to the circuit boards underneath.

After you remove the circuit boards, you'll be able to see what I"m talking about. The orange and green bulbs are soldered to the boards themselves and the neo wedge twist-in bulbs are actually connected to the board as well.

Left Cluster Front

Left Cluster Rear

Right Cluster Front

Right Cluster Rear
Old 08-14-2017, 10:44 AM
10th Gear

Once you remove the cluster buttons, you just have to remove a few screws and clips to gain access to the circuit boards underneath.

After you remove the circuit boards, you'll be able to see what I"m talking about. The orange and green bulbs are soldered to the boards themselves and the neo wedge twist-in bulbs are actually connected to the board as well.

Left Cluster Front

Left Cluster Rear

Right Cluster Front

Right Cluster Rear
Thank you so much for your pictures, and details. So your saying that I can just purchase the left and right side climate control cluster and replace those with the ones that aren't working and that will solve the problem? Those parts should run me about $40-$50 a piece or for both? Is it as easy as screwing them on the sides and then connecting the green connectors in the back of the navi screen?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Those parts should run me about $40-$50 a piece or for both?
I purchased my entire HVAC unit (both button columns, screen, and cords) for $40 on eBay. Do your research and look online. I would assume you will be able to find something for a similar price.
I purchased this "spare" HVAC unit, because I plan add a tablet to my car in the future. This "spare" unit will allow me to work on the project (in my leisure) without having to take apart my car in the process.

Is it as easy as screwing them on the sides and then connecting the green connectors in the back of the navi screen?
-Yes, it is as easy as disconnecting/reconnecting the circuit boards. Just unscrew the 3 screws to remove each button column from the HVAC screen and proceed to take them apart. There are just a few more screws and clips to undo. It's very easy and you'll be able to figure it out just by looking at them.

So your saying that I can just purchase the left and right side climate control cluster and replace those with the ones that aren't working and that will solve the problem?
I can't guarantee anything, but what you're saying seems like the logical solution in my opinion. What I can tell you is this:
I changed the neo wedge bulbs on my button columns two years ago, but I never replaced the orange and green lights. Two years ago, I wasn't familiar with soldering techniques and didn't bother.. However, over time I have developed novice soldering skills from other projects I've completed. Having the ugly orange and green lights always bugged me. So, a few days ago, I actually replaced the orange and green lights and soldered new white LEDs to my "spare" circuit boards (to match my blue and white theme). I had a free hour or so and didn't want to take apart my entire dash at the time. So, I figured if I have some "spare" circuit boards, I might as well do some soldering. After church yesterday, I had to fix something on my radio (and had the time), so I did the following:

-I took apart my dash and removed the HVAC unit
-I unscrewed the button columns from the HVAC unit
-I replaced the circuit boards with my modified "spare" circuit boards
-I untwisted the OEM bulbs from the "spare" cicuit board and replaced them with the LEDs I had been using for two years.
-I reinstalled everything and experienced no issues. See the images below:

Old 08-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jakub Majkut
Yup, and that fuse fixed all the lights besides the ones around the navi screen. All of those are still not getting power. Ive literally checked everything at this point and I'm at a loss
The other thing I just thought of is this.... Have you checked to make sure that your wires (coming from the button clusters) are working properly?

The wires stem from the circuit boards and go into the HVAC display. If any of those wires is corroded or damaged, then you may be shorting out. It would be best to check them for continuity with a multimeter.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 PM
6th Gear

So update, ordered new buttons and still a no go. No back light. At this point I just need a new screen to try and see if this fixes the issue. Idk what else to look for. Multimeter shows no power on any of the bulb sockets. Navid screen dims still but no back light
Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 AM
10th Gear

That's a frustration fact, I hav ea lot of my lights not working too.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:21 AM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Climate COntrol Lights Out

I am at a loss with this. I attempted to replace the lighting with LED bulbs and that did not work out for me so I replaced the modules with new ones. Connected everything and checked the fuses and nothing lights up. I wasted money purchasing the modules any suggestions on what else to look for? I checked the small lights fuse under the hood and the interior lights fuse inside under the dash.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the same issue. My fault for not disconnecting the battery. Traced it to a blown FET that dims those lights. Rather than trying to replace the FET that’s mounted on the navy circuit board I just jumped the lights ill + and ill- to the light in the center arm rest. Doesn’t dim but does go on and off with the headlight switch.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:29 PM
RoadRunner

What is a FET?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:54 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by citidelx
What is a FET?
transistor
Old 11-19-2017, 11:44 AM
RoadRunner

Is that transistor on the actual main board? Is this an inexpensive fix? Or am I going to have to replace the entire unit?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
FET Looks to be on the nav circuit board. I didn’t want to touch the board. So I Ran two jumpers from the armrest light and it’s fixed for 20 cents of wire.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:29 PM
RoadRunner

Damn!! That is what I thought smh!