Kicker custom Subwoofer box

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kicker custom Subwoofer box

I'm about to purchase a single 15" kicker L7 for my TL
I've seen some nice designs but unfortunately most of them are for a round subwoofer.
And I'll probably build a custom box cause I want to retain as much of my trunk as possible. I'm just looking for any help I can get, does anyone on here have a single square 15" sub? Or anyone have their specs or a diy from boxes they've made ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Attached Thumbnails Kicker custom Subwoofer box-image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Why are you choosing an L7?

Are you going sealed or ported? If sealed you might as well go IB and retain almost all of your trunk with no box, far less power needed, they will dig deeper, and will sound quicker and tighter.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Why are you choosing an L7?

Are you going sealed or ported? If sealed you might as well go IB and retain almost all of your trunk with no box, far less power needed, they will dig deeper, and will sound quicker and tighter.
I plan on doing a ported box, and then ill find somewhere to put an amp rack.

Im on a tight budget after all the money I spent on my TL this summer (new wheels,tires, coilovers, new rotors, pads and callipers)

I got a decent deal on kijiji so I pulled the trigger and got the S15L7 and an alpine mrp-m1000,
I used to have an 12" alpine type r in a ported enclosure, not to specs but still sounded pretty good any ways I wanted something new.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You can get that sub to sound very nice in a ported box but prefab is not an option. It needs to be built for that sub.

A larger box will give more output. A lower tune will reduce output slightly but will greatly increase sound quality.

If sound quality is the goal I suggest a 28-30hz tune. It will sound quick, tight, accurate, and dig low with authority. You will lose some of the boomyness that tends to add output at the expense of SQ with the higher tuned boxes.

Let me know what you're going after and I can model it to get you enclosure volume and port dimensions
Old 07-18-2015, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
You can get that sub to sound very nice in a ported box but prefab is not an option. It needs to be built for that sub.

A larger box will give more output. A lower tune will reduce output slightly but will greatly increase sound quality.

If sound quality is the goal I suggest a 28-30hz tune. It will sound quick, tight, accurate, and dig low with authority. You will lose some of the boomyness that tends to add output at the expense of SQ with the higher tuned boxes.

Let me know what you're going after and I can model it to get you enclosure volume and port dimensions
I'm definitely going for sound quality over "boomyness", and I greatly appreciate the help, I listen to mostly reggae and hip hop if that maters. From what I've been reading up kicker suggest something like 6 cubic feet as a maximum dimension for the ported box. Like the picture in my first post I'd like to keep some use of my trunk although I don't really need to hull around large objects and luggage in my trunk