Just burnd a DVD-A with muliple groups...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just burnd a DVD-A with muliple groups...

I used Steinberg WaveLab 5 and a DVD-R disc. What I did was I burned 5 Radiohead albums on the disc with each album being it's own group. I tried to burn all 6 Radiohead albums but I was haveing a problem with Pablo Honey(RH's first album) so I deleted it.

It works great. I can change groups by pressing and holding the scan and rpt buttons as first documented by Zonie .

From the looks of it, you can fit up to 9 groups per disc although I'm not sure how many tracks per group would fit. Maybe its 99 track total per disc so 11 per group if you use all 9 groups. I don't know, but I do know I'll have alot of fun burning my own DVD-A.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Hows the sound quality. BTW, thanks for the useful information!
Old 09-16-2004, 12:27 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

For an MSRP of $700 I would hope it could do Multiple Groups.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM

Sound quality is just as good as the originals.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
i tried to figure out wavelab, didnt someone post instructions on how to do the procedure you just described?
Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

What's the sound quality comparing to regular CD's????
Old 09-16-2004, 01:34 PM

So far it seems to sound the same as the original store bought CD's
Old 09-17-2004, 06:38 AM
Advanced

Send info

Hello,

Can you send some info how to create a dvd-audio disk with WaveLab?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Possible to do this with MP3's?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by sw1tchn1nja
Possible to do this with MP3's?
No. You can only add WAV files.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I like you, do u like me?

Just buy an ipod you guys :P
Old 12-12-2004, 05:12 AM
2005 TL Owner

I just burned my first wavelab DVD-A on DVD-R media. It sounds great. If you have not noticed the CD volume can go muchlouder than the DVD-A or radio. Again the quality is top-notch at I used WAv files ripped straight from CD.

You can use mp3 files. Drag the file(s) from Explorer onto the Wavelap app, and it will decode the mp3 files int a window. You can save the file as a WAV file and use that WAV file for your montage.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:15 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by angler67
I just burned my first wavelab DVD-A on DVD-R media. It sounds great. If you have not noticed the CD volume can go muchlouder than the DVD-A or radio. Again the quality is top-notch at I used WAv files ripped straight from CD.

You can use mp3 files. Drag the file(s) from Explorer onto the Wavelap app, and it will decode the mp3 files int a window. You can save the file as a WAV file and use that WAV file for your montage.
Did you burn in 24bit or 16bit? If you burned in 24 bit, change it to 16 bit in the future and you will be able to get more on the disc and not lose any fidelity (since your source files are 16bit anyway!)
Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

To create a DVD-A in WaveLab 5, follow the following basic steps...

1) Open WaveLab, go to File, New, DVD-Audio Project
2) Go to File again, New, Audio Montage. Leave the sample rate at 44100, and click OK
3) In the Montage window, click the tab labled 'Files'.
4) In the Montage Window, Files, click the open file folder to add .WAV files to your Montage.
(Yes, you must transfer your MP3's to WAV. I suggest Winamp's diskwriter output module)
5) Once they are all selected, and you click 'Open' you will be prompted to 'Line up on the current track' This is what you want to do, so click OK.
6) Now in the Audio Montage window, click the CD tab.
7) In the CD Montage window, click the 'DVD' button
8) Select 'Functions' Edit DVD-Audio options. Select 16 bit and click OK. Return to Functions and select DVD Wizard. Just click 'Apply in the window that opens.
9) In the main WaveLab window, select 'File' and 'Save' to save the Montage as a file on the desktop.
10) In the DVD-Audio project window, ( The first one you opened) Click the Green Plus sign to add the Montage you just created to your DVD.
11) in the DVD Project window, make sure your project will fit on a DVD - Less than 4.3 Gig.
12) Click the red disk to create. WaveLab will now write a disk image of you DVD onto your hard drive.
13) After the creation is complete, another window will open displaying the file structure of the DVD you've created. Click on the CD icon in that window to burn the data to a DVD.
14) pop the DVD in your TL and enjoy!

Wasn't that easy! :-)
Old 12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
thanks for the info jon1379, points for you
Old 12-13-2004, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear

Also - I just learned that the ELS will not accept DVD+RWs. DVD+Rs work great tho...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

AAC protected files to DVD-A

How do you transfer iPod files from iTunes to DVD-A? I noticed my windows based iTunes is ACC protected files. They can be transferred to CD easily, but I cannot transfer the protected AAC files in Nero. Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:21 AM
2005 TL Owner

Originally Posted by kuhm
How do you transfer iPod files from iTunes to DVD-A? I noticed my windows based iTunes is ACC protected files. They can be transferred to CD easily, but I cannot transfer the protected AAC files in Nero. Any ideas?
I found this:
Transcoding from one lossy format to another will decrease quality, but since it's for use in the car, most likely you won't be able to hear a difference.

Free programs that are capable of doing this:
dbPowerAmp - easy to use, rightclick -> convert to ... sollution
foobar2000 - Advanced software with many options.

The comment of conversion from one compression to another is true. What you want is to convert to WAV at most, which is what you need to burn the DVD-A.

Have you tried dragging AAC files from Explorer to WaveLab 5? It works for mp3.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:25 AM
3rd Gear

As far as I know, the iTunes AAC files are encrypted so you cannot use them with any other non-DRM (Digital Rights Management) application. There are a few programs out there that claim to be able to break the encryption - but some are of dubious origin, and I imagine all will anger Apple greatly.

The way I prefer to do this, is the long way around - but it yields the highest quality and flexibility IMHO... From iTunes, burn a CD-RW with the purchased music. Then use any other application to Rip the music to WAV. It may not be the fastest way - but it works.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:24 AM
10th Gear

AAC protected files to DVD-A

I tried dbPowerAmp, but did not have much success. I'll try it again.

I surfed and found a free program called iOpener specifically for AAC protected files purchased through iTunes. Unfortunately, the 4.7 iTunes update will not unprotect the files in iOpener. It has some great promise.

If the dbPowerAmp conversion to WAV is successful, can I use NERO to burn the audio files to DVD-R or will dbPowerAmp work as well?

Thanks. I hate using all the CD chambers with audio CDs and would enjoy just using one DVD chamber and flip through my playlist.

Hopefully, There will be a direct connection remedy for our TL NAV configurations.

Happy Holidays!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM
10th Gear

Just so you know, In the above directions, I changed the file type in open to MP3 and opened all of my files as Mp3s directly into WaveLab... and it converted them as they opened and stored them in a temp file. I am making the DVD now and will let you know if it works, as far as I can tell it did convert them to the correct format as my 45 songs now equal 2 gigs.... seems to save you the step of converting them to .WAV and then having to delete them later..
Old 01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
10th Gear

Update: Yes the DVD-A works fine.... so you can open directly from MP3 in wavelab without having to do the extra converting step... it does it for you, at least the copy i have does, not sure if they have different versions.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 AM
2005 TL Owner

As I posted earlier in this thread, this can be done. Also, by dragging the mp3 files from Explorer. Although I suggested saving the files as WAV once converted, it is not required as you can add the the open "temp" files to the Montage directly.

The only problem with multiple folders (montages) is that at the end of the last song in each montage jumps to the next disc.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! Thanks for the info everyone. Finally got it working with a DVD-R (but not with a DVD+RW)
Old 04-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Computer Techie Geek

just in case you guys are into making real dvd-a's from 5.1 sources
this thread has all the info.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110542
Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 PM
8th Gear

Appreciate the info on this program! Currently making my first DVD-A.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont really want to bump an old post, but a few questions.... Why do you line up each track one after another in wavelab rather than Select the different tracks option???

ALso, the Audio folder in the DVD includes really wierd filetypes. My computer cant read the DVD-Audio disc... so im guessin the TL dvd-audio rom drive is special?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 PM
8th Gear

I'm probably really bad at following directions...but ran into some trouble burning DVD-As with WaveLab5 and was hoping someone could help. Thanks in advanced.

So I opened a new Montage, clicked on the file tab and attempted to add files via the open file icon at top left corner, select the file type to Mp3. I was unable to add all of them at once, rather I had to do them one by one. When I did this, everytime I added a new file, the options to "Add" "Add/Split" etc came up, no where did I see "Line up the tracks." I assume the lack of the option is probably because I'm some how opening the files wrong. When I add say 3 mp3 files, I noticed they were all un the same track and in reverse order (ie. file 3 would have a start time of 0ms where as file 1 starts several minutes later)

I'm using version 5. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:14 PM
8th Gear

Ok I played around with the program a bit, it seems like I need to convert everything to wav before adding them in order to get "line up" option. I thought someone got it working without conversion? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2005, 05:03 AM
04 TL NBP-B NAVI

hi guys,

I was able to do download Wavelab ver 4.0 ... it does not seem to have DVD-audio option !!!

Can someone let me know if it's possible to transfer CDs to DVD-A ?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rafiksao
hi guys,

I was able to do download Wavelab ver 4.0 ... it does not seem to have DVD-audio option !!!

Can someone let me know if it's possible to transfer CDs to DVD-A ?

Thanks
From what I understand, only version 5.0+ supports DVD-A. There's an opensource project DVD-Audio Tools, with which you can make DVD-A ISOs. You can then use any CD/DVD burning program to burn the image onto a DVD-R(W).
Old 06-25-2005, 05:11 PM
04 TL NBP-B NAVI

thanks
but the opensource seems quite complicated !!!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please excuse my ignorance. If I have a boat load of CD's and I want to start making DVD's I need WaveLab 5 or is there any alternative (ahem cheaper) software?

It would be nice to say... take my 5 Culture Club CD's and make one DVD.

(just kidding on the Culture Club )
Old 06-29-2005, 05:32 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafiksao
thanks
but the opensource seems quite complicated !!!
Actually it really isn't that bad. I have developed some scripts that make it pretty easy to do. I have tested them on Windows XP and they work fine. I don't have a write-up on it yet but PM me if you are interested. So far interest has been really low for the free stuff. Folks seem more interested in Wavelab/Diskwelder than the free stuff. (my suspicion is warez)

For my method you need:
1) To convert your files to wav files. (16 bit, 44.1 Khz is best, default if you are ripping from CDs). Some dislike this but it is better to have your choice of tools to do this especially if you are converting mp3. Some converters are good and some really suck.
2) Patience. Converting all the songs and making the DVD image takes time. You can walk away from the computer while things are happening but the elapsed time is 1 to 2 hours per disk
3) A DVD burning program that can burn ISO images. Like Nero.
4) Good DVD-R media. Seems to work better than +R

I've burned many DVD-As that play fine in the car. Most hold 7 or 8 CDs each. I've done some after converting mp3/wma to wav but they sound like crap since mp3's are generally inferior in all ways when compared to CD quality.

If your interested then PM me. I can describe what I do.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Wavelab used to make 5.1 DVD-A

I know information is available on the forum on this but I have to say the best feature of the Wavelab is to make your own DVD-A disc in 5.1.

I bought the Dido Live DVD the other day and made my DVD-A version from this in 5.1. I have to say it sounds freakin awesome !!!

Basically any Music DVD that you have that has a 5.1 audio track on it, you can make a DVD-A in 5.1.

I have made DVD-A (5.1) disc from the Cure, Depeche Mode, Moby, Celine Dion, Peter Gabriel.

Since the audio industry is not really releasing too many DVD-A / dual-disc, we have to be creative and make our own.

The software used to do this:

DVD Decrypter (Used to extract the 5.1 audio track and create a .VOB file)
BeSweet (Used to convert .VOB file to a 5.1 wave file in 48000 sample rate)
Wavelab (Used to build and DVD-Audio 6 channel Audio Montage)

Once you figure it out it takes about 1-2 hours to convert DVD -> DVD-A

Just my
Old 06-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Silky Smooth

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome news, think you could make a write up in a new thread for all of us? please please

Originally Posted by rmastbro
I know information is available on the forum on this but I have to say the best feature of the Wavelab is to make your own DVD-A disc in 5.1.

I bought the Dido Live DVD the other day and made my DVD-A version from this in 5.1. I have to say it sounds freakin awesome !!!

Basically any Music DVD that you have that has a 5.1 audio track on it, you can make a DVD-A in 5.1.

I have made DVD-A (5.1) disc from the Cure, Depeche Mode, Moby, Celine Dion, Peter Gabriel.

Since the audio industry is not really releasing too many DVD-A / dual-disc, we have to be creative and make our own.

Just my
Old 06-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Instructor

I agree, Wavelab makes making 5.1 DVD-As really easy. I have converted NiN - With Teeth, Floyd's DSOTM and Metallica's Surrounded by Anger from DVD-V to DVD-A after extracting the 5.1 from each disk. The process basically involves, like rmastbro said, :

1. Extracting the 5.1 audio from a DVD as either a vob or an AC3 or DTS file. Take a look at the doom9.org forum for detailed articles on how you can go about this.

2. Using BeSweet to demultiplex these 5.1 audio files into 6 mono wave files.

3. Creating a 5.1 (6 channels) DVD-A montage in Wavelab with 6 tracks, each track corresponding to one of the 6 5.1 channels. You perform the assignment by clicking on the 'L' or 'R' on the left side of each track and changing it to the channel you would like to assign the track to.

5. Placing each channel's demultiplexed mono wave file onto its corresponding channel's track. If the demultiplexing was done correctly, each chapter will correspond to a song, and so you should have 6 files for each song on the DVD-V. When placed on the montage all the songs will align correctly, one after the other, since the 6 wave files for each song will be eaxactly the same length.

6. Adding this montage to a DVD-A project and then burning the DVD-A or making the ISO.

Originally Posted by rmastbro

Just my
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

Media Preference? Ulead feedback

Ulead's 'Burn Now' product ( http://www.ulead.com/bn/runme.htm ) is supposed to burn DVD-Audio...it does produce disks with the right file structure...they just don't work in the TL

Of course, the documentation is extremely sparse, so it is possible that it might work...if one only knew how.

Wavelab 5 (demo) doesn't recognize the resultant disk either...which is an indication of a non-standard audio format...

I will try again since 'Burn Now' is $40...the cost does matter. If I can get it to work, I'll post the results.

Media can make a difference in a given reader, of course. I have tried Khypher media, +R, and Ridata -R.

Brand of media advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I read that you must use DVD-R + won't work. I have no idea on what media is good, bad, or ugly.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by chuck_r
Ulead's 'Burn Now' product ( http://www.ulead.com/bn/runme.htm ) is supposed to burn DVD-Audio...it does produce disks with the right file structure...they just don't work in the TL

Of course, the documentation is extremely sparse, so it is possible that it might work...if one only knew how.

Wavelab 5 (demo) doesn't recognize the resultant disk either...which is an indication of a non-standard audio format...

I will try again since 'Burn Now' is $40...the cost does matter. If I can get it to work, I'll post the results.

Media can make a difference in a given reader, of course. I have tried Khypher media, +R, and Ridata -R.

Brand of media advice appreciated.

Thanks!
Do a search, there is a thread here with a link to a download that fixes Burn Now and enables DVD-R to work with the TL. I applied the patch to the trial version and it worked.

Quick Reply: Just burnd a DVD-A with muliple groups...