Just bought the SprintPCS LG PM-325 Bluetooth...awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought the SprintPCS LG PM-325 Bluetooth...awesome!

This phone, for those that don't know, literally just came on the market. In fact, many Sprint Stores do not even have it listed or on display for that matter.

The bluetooth was a cinch to setup w/ the TL, and the clarity is an 8/10 .. a little muffled at times, w/ occassionaly static.. most of the time, it's solid.

I'm soooo glad that i finally have a bluetooth phone, I've used sprintpcs for over 7 years now and have a monster deal, so I didn't want to switch to AT&T/Cingular just to get bluetooth.

Please ask any q's you many have about this phone, I'd love to share.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
This phone, for those that don't know, literally just came on the market. In fact, many Sprint Stores do not even have it listed or on display for that matter.

The bluetooth was a cinch to setup w/ the TL, and the clarity is an 8/10 .. a little muffled at times, w/ occassionaly static.. most of the time, it's solid.

I'm soooo glad that i finally have a bluetooth phone, I've used sprintpcs for over 7 years now and have a monster deal, so I didn't want to switch to AT&T/Cingular just to get bluetooth.

Please ask any q's you many have about this phone, I'd love to share.
Hi,
I am with Sprint for 3 years.
Two days ago I stopped in two Sprint sotes in NY and asked about this phone. The answer was << do not even think about this phone>>. The reason was that the phone is very weak(incoming calls, phone body, etc). So I left and I am waiting for better phone.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Safety Car

Gotta say that I disagree a little... the reception is solid, and I have been using it non-stop. I did get a great deal on it.. it was $239.00 .. got $200.00 off that price b/c I've been w/ sprint for 5+ years and I threatened to go to ATT... if you're interested in giving it a try, you've been w/ sprint long enough to do what I did.. oh, and sprint's policy is to buy your old phone back for $25.00 .. so I practically walked out of the store w/ this phone for free. It beats my old phone hands down (ancient)... so it's your call...

What poor salesmanship that they didn't even try and push their product... i guess they were just being super honest...
Old 01-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Drifting

It's all geographical location that will effect the performance of your handset. Both of you guys are in prime locations to sign up with a GSM provider and get tons of handsets compatible with HFL.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 PM
Instructor

I like the LG-325. Have had it for about 2 months now. Reception is not as good as my Nokia, but it is close. Bluetooth works great with the TL, especially if you turn the phone volume to low and adjust the car volume up. It is small enough to carry in a pocket. Still prefer Nokia phones, but no other choice with Sprint for now. Battery life has been very good. For the price ($79), I am very satisfied.

Bob
Old 01-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bob In Miami
I like the LG-325. Have had it for about 2 months now. Reception is not as good as my Nokia, but it is close. Bluetooth works great with the TL, especially if you turn the phone volume to low and adjust the car volume up. It is small enough to carry in a pocket. Still prefer Nokia phones, but no other choice with Sprint for now. Battery life has been very good. For the price ($79), I am very satisfied.

Bob
Bob,

You just saved me a lot of grief.. i didn't know why i was getting reverberation/buzzing w/ my LG phone which using the bluetooth ... you're right, you have to turn the phone volume down all the way.. then it's really nice. Thank you for that info!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree Peter! I've had the 325 for just over a month and I love it. Its so much more sleek than my old sanyo. The camera isn't quite as good as the sanyo but the sanyo doesn't have zoom. I also love the blue backlight...goes great with the tl!! The menu's are sweet and I love the slide!!

The phone does seem a little more delicate than my previous one but I haven't had any problems thusfar. I did drop it once... but thankfully only a small nick
Old 01-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Safety Car

Dark,

I've had this phone for about a week now.. and so far so good. It's a pretty cool phone, you're right though, a tad delicate, but I am usually pretty carefull w/ my phones.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

I tried this phone out at a Sprint store this weekend and was very disappointed in the sound. It wasn't clear at all. And the person on the other end said it didn't sound too great.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Safety Car

Update:

Have had the phone now for two weeks.... use it all the time in the car.

Battery life: Fair -- w/ the bluetooth enabled, the life of the battery definitely comes down faster. HOwever, if you know you're not gunna be in a car for long stretches of time, you can disable bluetooth (duh) and preserve batt life. Works well.

Clarity (non bluetooth .. built in earpiece): Very clear for me. People on the other end agree .. it's also very clear for them. With Bluetooth: very clear when the phone volume is set to low and i use the Acura volume control to toggle the volume. So long as the climate control isn't blasting air (like when you first get into a cold car).. the listener on the other line says it's very clear. They can't tell sometimes if I sound like i'm speakphone or not.

Usability: Still a tad awkward at times w/ the sliding button panel .. your hand definitely will get used to it after a few weeks, otherwise, a good design.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Another cool feature that I'm not sure is on other bluetooth phones... but if i start a phone call on my cell phone, and i get in my car and want to transfer the convo to the handsfreelink... it does it flawlessly w/ a simple menu and one selection.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Everybody still happy with this phone??? I need a new phone, bluetooth, but seems Sprint only offers this one and the $400 PDA which I don't need/want. Any news about new bluetooth phones for Sprint????

I've kept an old Sanyo 8100 phone b/c it gets reception everywhere, better than most other Sprint phones I've tried. Sound quality is not great however because it sounds like your talking in a tunnel---and have to keep volume all the way down on 1-2. I liked Motorola and Nokia phones in the past with At&T ..problem was the reception was shaky so it'd go from great sound quality to no bars.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:26 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

I have this phone. It is OK for voice, but not much else. Bluetooth is intentianolly crippled- most functios are disabled, data connection through Vision is very slow, junky camera is useless.
Better than nothing, but it is not a phone to drool for.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

gt1 .. sorry to hear your experience. My LG325 is still working awesome. Bluetooth functionality is near perfect -- once this week (never happened before) I had to reboot the phone to regain bluetooth functionality (I never turn my phone off, and I know phones do not like that) but once I rebooted, all was good again. People tell me they hear me fine through the bluetooth and background noise isn't too bad. My voice functionality is better than OK -- never had anyone tell me they coudnlt hear me or that it wasn't clear. Also people sound very clear to me.

Sounds like gt1 might have a lemon.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:35 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

PeterUbers, sorry I wasn't clear. I have no problems with Bluetooth functionality PM325 has. The problem is that many Bluetooth fetures are missing! normal BT phone should be able to:
Send pictures to PC or another phone
Exchange ringtones with PC or other phones
Edit phonebook from PC
Send SMS from PC... and so on
PM325 can't do any of the above. So, my friend, if I have a lemon, you do too!
Voice and signal sensitivity are OK, my old Sanyo 4900 with pullout antenna was somewhat better, but I have no problem with PM325, escpecially considering it's small size.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Safety Car

ah, i understand now. Thanks for the clarification. I had read on the SpintPCS forum (some forum dedicated to sprint phones, etc) that none of their bluetooth phones were able to do all the tasks that you'd expect them to do w/ the bluetooth. That being said, I knew I was buying it simply for the handsfree feature. However, I do understand that it would be even better if it wasn't crippled from the factory by Sprint to ONLY do handsfree.

I'm not sure what the forum's conclusion was as to why Sprint does this.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:29 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ah, i understand now. Thanks for the clarification. I had read on the SpintPCS forum (some forum dedicated to sprint phones, etc) that none of their bluetooth phones were able to do all the tasks that you'd expect them to do w/ the bluetooth. That being said, I knew I was buying it simply for the handsfree feature. However, I do understand that it would be even better if it wasn't crippled from the factory by Sprint to ONLY do handsfree.

I'm not sure what the forum's conclusion was as to why Sprint does this.
The reason they do this is because Sprint wants you to subscribe to their picture mail. Suppose you had these features enabled, you can easily transfer any pictures you take with your phone to computer and from there anywhere else. But since you dont have these features enabled the only option you have is to pay $10/month (ir whatever it is) to subscribe to their picture mail service and use it to send pics out of your phone.

Verizon did this too with their Motorola v710 phone and when asked why they said it clashes with their business model. They were sued for this (I donno the final conculsion of that).

BTW this feature (profile), I believe, is called GOEP (Generic Object Exchange Profile).

Hope the explanation helps
Old 03-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

gotcha... those dirty bastards....
Old 03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Automobile Aficionado

so the bluetooth handsfree reception (and bar strength) is very good.?. i'm not too concerned with sending pictures/contacts to my computer and i download ringtones for free at 3g4free.com. My concern is that I wouldn't give up a phone with good signal strength just to get bluetooth handsfree. If the signal and handsfree clarity is very good on this phone then i'll get it.....sprint is selling this phone for $59 now and just sent me a $50 trade-in voucher for my sanyo........ so i can get it for ten bucks.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gt1
PeterUbers, sorry I wasn't clear. I have no problems with Bluetooth functionality PM325 has. The problem is that many Bluetooth fetures are missing! normal BT phone should be able to:
Send pictures to PC or another phone
Exchange ringtones with PC or other phones
Edit phonebook from PC
Send SMS from PC... and so on
PM325 can't do any of the above. So, my friend, if I have a lemon, you do too!
Voice and signal sensitivity are OK, my old Sanyo 4900 with pullout antenna was somewhat better, but I have no problem with PM325, escpecially considering it's small size.
Version 18 of the phone's firmware is being tested as we speak, and is supposed to address many Bluetooth issues.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Twenties
so the bluetooth handsfree reception (and bar strength) is very good.?. i'm not too concerned with sending pictures/contacts to my computer and i download ringtones for free at 3g4free.com. My concern is that I wouldn't give up a phone with good signal strength just to get bluetooth handsfree. If the signal and handsfree clarity is very good on this phone then i'll get it.....sprint is selling this phone for $59 now and just sent me a $50 trade-in voucher for my sanyo........ so i can get it for ten bucks.
YOu absolutely cannot go wrong for $10. I got a ton of vouchers, etc, like you, and got mine for free as well. Honestly, I am very very happy w/ this phone. Let's put it this way, if this phone was never used for bluetooth, then I am still very happy with the 1) quality 2) durability 3) features 4) usability 5) clarity/signal strength 6) battery life. Now, add the bluetooth capabilty which I'm pretty impressed with, and you have a no lose situation. Go buy it, and I cannot wait till this new firmware is done .. I have a few quirks w/ the BT, so I'm anxious to have the firmware to resolve these issues (occassional hang-up when I click the steering wheel button to answer the phone ... occasional "I can't hear you" from recipient .. very very rare occurences -- I always use bluetooth in the car.)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Advanced

The PM-325 is awesome

Well I've had my 2005 AM/EBONY/5AT for 1 week yesterday, and as an aniversary present to my TL I picked up a PM-325. I've been with Sprint for years and really didn't want to switch just to get bluetooth so thought I would give the PM-325 a try... have used a Sanyo 8100 for over a year and a half, great phone. Anyway, the LG is really a great phone, light as a feather, the slide is just fine (always had flips before this one) and the bluetooth connectivity to the TL is spot on. I too hope the firmware will at least give us battery and hopefully signal icons as well, but that's not a huge deal for the cost of the phone if you can get the rebates. I had no idea that the system had it's own voice activated phone book too, just amazing! I like so many on here seem to be coming up with excuses to take the TL for a drive, the car just continues to amaze! Anyway, would definitely highly recommend the PM-325 for any Sprint customers out there who are in need of bluetooth, you can't go wrong!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Safety Car

I put about 25 names in my TL phonebook -- and I learned the following: if you add a last name to your entry, it'll recognize the name more accurately b/c it makes the sound clip more accurate. For instance, my "BOB" and "JOHN" seemed to sound the same to my TL, so I changed it to "BOB Smith" and "John Meyers" and now, I always get the right number w/ my voice command. I think this car rules.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:24 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

I put about 25 names in my TL phonebook -- and I learned the following: if you add a last name to your entry, it'll recognize the name more accurately b/c it makes the sound clip more accurate. For instance, my "BOB" and "JOHN" seemed to sound the same to my TL, so I changed it to "BOB Smith" and "John Meyers" and now, I always get the right number w/ my voice command. I think this car rules.
Great! I have been thinking abt getting this phone. But I dont qualify for the rebates (for another year), so I will have to pay the full price 200+. Do u guys think it's worth it?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

It all really depends on your need for bluetooth -- if you want it now, it'll be worth it 100% b/c you'll have bluetooth, and a pretty cool phone.

However, if it's something you can hold off on, then consider doing so. Can you sell your old phone on ebay? Perhaps you can get something from Sprint for your old phone too.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

It all really depends on your need for bluetooth -- if you want it now, it'll be worth it 100% b/c you'll have bluetooth, and a pretty cool phone.

However, if it's something you can hold off on, then consider doing so. Can you sell your old phone on ebay? Perhaps you can get something from Sprint for your old phone too.
I was looking into the option of selling my phone (Toshiba vm4050) on ebay. May be recoup $100 or so. Have you tried browsing the internet on the phone? If so, how is the browser? Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Intermediate

does the lg have caller id,

i heard when you recieve in coming calls only the number is displayed not the name of the caller. im interested but i need caller id w/ names...

thanks,
Old 03-28-2005, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Hi,

Yeah, name is displayed as long as the person is in your phone book. If the caller is not, the state of where the call is coming from is displayed. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Automobile Aficionado

well i went and tried out the LG yesterday and decided to keep my Sanyo 8100.

the LG looks okay but the phone didn't feel solid, especially the buttons, and it didn't fit comfortable on my ear, i think because of the slide design. I did note that the reception showed 6 bars, wow. The combination of poor customer service and cheap feel made me decide to wait for another bluetooth phone to come out. i'm sure i would enjoy the handsfree in the car though.

b/t/w i tried out the Treo 650 ....looks great and sound quality was actually better than my Sanyo 8100 and the LG, but i tried to check my e-mail on the phone and it took longer than if you were using 56k! I mean it took a full 4 or 5 minutes just to login and wait for my inbox message to appear. What a joke. What's the point. That phone is all for show.
For $450 i'll pass.

If anyone hears about new Sprint bluetooth phones let me know. the reps didn't know.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
can anyone post a picture of the new bluetooth sprint phone?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RSA_Secure
I was looking into the option of selling my phone (Toshiba vm4050) on ebay. May be recoup $100 or so. Have you tried browsing the internet on the phone? If so, how is the browser? Thanks for your reply.
In fact, I have browsed the net to death on my LG. I was given the standard two free months of internet usage when I signed my new contract, and I found the internet very addictive -- i'd go online every chance I got (waiting in line somewhere, while sitting down to eat at a restaurant, etc.) It is pretty good ... however, some memory intensive sites will lock up occasionally. Those sites that are dedicated to cellular phone browsers are very good, fairly quick, and very usable.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by actright
can anyone post a picture of the new bluetooth sprint phone?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:10 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

In fact, I have browsed the net to death on my LG. I was given the standard two free months of internet usage when I signed my new contract, and I found the internet very addictive -- i'd go online every chance I got (waiting in line somewhere, while sitting down to eat at a restaurant, etc.) It is pretty good ... however, some memory intensive sites will lock up occasionally. Those sites that are dedicated to cellular phone browsers are very good, fairly quick, and very usable.
I do that quite a few times too.....thats y the question
Old 04-04-2005, 04:09 PM
7th Gear

Looking to buy LG PM-325

I am looking to buy the LG PM-325 as I am stuck with Sprint because of work and I don't want a PDA phone. Some posts say that the battery and reception don't show up in the MID. What about incoming phone numbers do they show up in MID?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Advanced

I see incoming phone numbers in my mid. LG PM325 has been good for me.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

I agree w/ Eddie ... incoming phone numbers show up in the MID, but no battery or signal strength -- hopefully these issues will be remedied in future firmware updates.

But honestly, when I get into the car, it's immediately plugged into the car charger, and quite frankly, what am I going to do about the signal strenght if it goes down from four or five bars... driver faster to a stronger signal area? (i'm just making lame excuses now)
Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Instructor

I agree with Peter...what can you do about signal strength? If you really need to see it, keep your phone in the cupholder and slide it open. However, it would look "cool" if it was there, but it's not that big of a deal.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Compared to the first SprintPCS bluetooth phone (Sony Ericsson T608), this LG phone blows it out of the water.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Team SSM

Sprint: LG PM-325 Firmware Updated

Update: Multiple users are reporting that the update fixes Bluetooth connectivity issues with Mac OS X (as well as other devices). OBEX is not added in this update.

Version V18 improves support for Bluetooth specifically. To update the phone, go to: Menu > Settings > Setup/Others > Update Phone SW

If you have trouble with the updating phone SW, You need to update your vision profile, by going to settings>pcs vision> Vision update . And then try updating phone SW. this is the second update for the phone
Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tajam
Sprint: LG PM-325 Firmware Updated

Update: Multiple users are reporting that the update fixes Bluetooth connectivity issues with Mac OS X (as well as other devices). OBEX is not added in this update.

Version V18 improves support for Bluetooth specifically. To update the phone, go to: Menu > Settings > Setup/Others > Update Phone SW

If you have trouble with the updating phone SW, You need to update your vision profile, by going to settings>pcs vision> Vision update . And then try updating phone SW. this is the second update for the phone

SWEET!!! Thanks. Man, I can't believe i missed the v18 release.

Quick Reply: Just bought the SprintPCS LG PM-325 Bluetooth...awesome!