iSimple install, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iSimple install, please help

I've been driving myself nuts trying to install my isimple today.

The method laid out on this forum requires pulling back the carpeting near the pedals and somehow finagling the install.

I am looking to go about it by removing my nav display. I've taken off the aluminum trim off the center console. Then removed the two black screws holding the nav unit. Then I removed the top vent. Undid the two screws up here, which was a nightmare as one of them was stripped.

I thought I was ready to pull the unit out at this time but I was wrong. There seems to be 2 more screws to remove on these brackets on either side. However to do that I need to remove the two console side panels. But to do that I need to remove the dash it seems as two screws on either side are obscured by the dash adjacent to the nav unit.

I'm having a tough time with this, please help. The pages I've seen here from the service manual do not go a long way in helping me.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
I might have missed something, but you did not indicate removing the plastic driver's side panel for the console (kick panels?) which requires loosening the entire console first. That is the secret for the install w/o pulling the radio because you gain access to the back of the radio. Once you remove these plastic panels, you'll have minimal space to route the power coupler wire to the back of the Radio- it's a tight operation but you can do it. I did not remove vents to do this upgrade.

I followed the instructions from this web site and had not problems- there's a DYI that you should search for.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
9th Gear

In order to remove the "kick" panels I removed the glove box and the lower dash on the drivers side. Ended up damaging the slot the top clip on each side is attached as the manual didnt even mention these and I ended up brute forcing it off. God help me in putting everything back together properly.

After that I gained access to all the screws I was after but still couldn't remove the unit. I ran out of daylight but I'll try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Yes I think you did a little more than you needed. I skipped the passenger side stuff altogether. I removed the bolts holding the console to the floor and removed the driver's side plastic panels- think there were two. Prior to that I removed a plastic panel underneath the steering wheel that contains the trunk remote button. Once that steering wheel panel is removed you'll see screws that hold the side console/dash panel and that panel is the secret for an easier install.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM
9th Gear

Finally completed the install, after cutting up my fingers, damn that space is tight.

Put the iSimple in the glove box, I don't love this placement but it's the best I can do for now.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
i thought some people do this install just by pulling the carpet without removing the kickpanel.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Instructor

i just did this install today without removing the console. It was a PITA for sure. Very tight space and precision required.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmz3
i just did this install today without removing the console. It was a PITA for sure. Very tight space and precision required.

this is an absolute pain its just easier to remove the silver trim then the under dash panel. this way is actually faster and easier plus it gives you alot of options on places to put the unit itself.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Instructor

I noticed the iSIM73 doesn't shut off the ipod when I turn off the car. It stays on and charging. So I have to disconnect the ipod turn it off everytime.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
9th Gear

Yep, had to jump my car the other day. Forgot to disconnect my iPod doh. Any suggestions on where to conveniently store the unit and conveniently route the cable?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
I was under impression that it wouldn't drain battery?? I was hoping to have a 2nd ipod to leave in car at all times and ninja hide ipod nano with velcro.
When I get my iSimple in I will most likely be hiding ipod granted all touchscreen controls work.