iSimple displays name but no artist from ipod: firmware update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iSimple displays name but no artist from ipod: firmware update?

Hi guys. I just got the Peripheral Electronics iSimple installed into my '06 TL with Nav. It works great but it displays only the track title and the artist almost always says "IPOD" or occassionally will display an artist that was played several songs ago. I just purchased the product on 4/27 but that was the latest date for a firmware update on the website. Will the firmware fix the artist display and refresh quickly? I had it professionally installed and don't want to do any hardware switches myself. Thanks for the help AZ members...
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

iSimple issues

I'm having the same problem but it does not occur all the time. If I switch to FM and then back to the Ipod, it fixes itself. It seems like something is locking up in it. It is also intermittently not working at all. I no longer turn my radio off but on several occasions the Ipod or satellite radio just doesn't work. I have been told the unit sometimes just needs to boot up but it is taking 20 minutes for it to start working. Frustrating.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:20 PM
4th Gear

freeze problem

hey wolfpack, third day with the isimple and i'm now having the problem u described. i'm about to take it out and return it to best buy... i get freezing problems now where i cannot change the mode from fm to xm to cd, etc. the xm or cd button just does not work sometimes and my stereo remains frozen for a while. sometimes i can unfreeze by using the hands free link phone and then cancelling but this does not always work. is my navi the problem? what else can i do? i am thinking about having a similar product by rockford fosgate installed, being that i still like the aux input.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you have to see what the firmware written on the unit is. That may be different than the latest firmware. If this is the case, take out the unit from your car and update the firmware and try again. that should fix your problem.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by playa4real
take out the unit from your car and update the firmware and try again. that should fix your problem.
I had alreasy tried this. I contacted Peripheral about a month ago and Tony sent me a firmware version that wasn't online yet. It may have been the 36f that just came out but I'm not sure. It worked fine for about a week and a half then started getting all squirrelly again, including the display problems. When it works I love it, but it is starting to get frustrating. I'm going to try the new firmware that came out this week and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Cruisin'

I tried to load the 36e but no dice. Apparently the file I received last month was named 36b but it has the same date. My unit won't let me upgrade to 36e because it thinks it already has the latest version.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just upgraded to .36e and now I'm having the no artist display problem. It just says IPOD. Sometimes I can change songs and get it to work but it's pretty random. Everytime I upgrade this firmware there is some new bug. I wish they could get this right.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I have used the contact us form on Peripheral's website to report this bug and have posted it in the main iSimple thread which I know a Peripheral representative reads occasionally.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same issues here with .36e. Major Text and control issues. No real problems with the previous version besides the occasional "Ipod Not connected". Hope we get an update soon.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:10 PM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the information, i'm still runing .26 firmware from a year ago... i guess i won't be updating since a few of you guys are having lockup issues.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I never heard back from the Peripheral representative after I initially reported the bug. He sent me an email asking what car I had and I gave him that information but I never got another response from him. I emailed him again last week to see if there had been any progress but still have heard nothing. This seems to be the only issue I'm having. The other major problem seems to have been fixed.

I just really hope that someday they can get this software in a stable state. I really like this product. I know there have got to be quite a few out of work programmers who could get this fixed .
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Advanced

I contacted Peripheral ..Here was their response

"If you have a display button on your radio (DISP), you need to press and release it until you see “ch name” or “channel name” displayed on your radio. This is the display mode that is necessary for proper PXAMG operation."

Things seem a little more stable now after doing this but I still have some issues with the wrong artist/name displaying when scrolling fast throught the steering wheel controls.
I also noticed that when hitting 5 to change Playlists,Artist, etc that it now shows in the title track. I don't remember it doing that before.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by faceman1
I contacted Peripheral ..Here was their response

"If you have a display button on your radio (DISP), you need to press and release it until you see “ch name” or “channel name” displayed on your radio. This is the display mode that is necessary for proper PXAMG operation."

Things seem a little more stable now after doing this but I still have some issues with the wrong artist/name displaying when scrolling fast throught the steering wheel controls.
I also noticed that when hitting 5 to change Playlists,Artist, etc that it now shows in the title track. I don't remember it doing that before.
As I mentioned in the other thread concerning this issue, the .36e firmware is the 3rd version that I have had on my device and I never had an issue with the display until then. No where in the instructions does it mention the proper setting of the display button. This controls what is displayed in the upper dash area. My problem is what is displayed on the navi screen.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Agreed. That is my problem as well(The text on the navi screen). That is just what Peripheral told me to do to correct the issue I was having. I had no problems until .36e.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
The instrument panel display needs to stay on the navigation compass. It resets to the gas mileage when I start the car.