iPod, Video, integration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question iPod, Video, integration

Hello A-zine community! I've been a member here for a few years now and never really introduced myself but I'll do that a bit later in the appropriate section. I've been lurking here quite often and this forum has been a source of inspiration, entertainment, and headaches. Today I come to you with an issue I just can't resolve without your help. I've spent many hours and made many pages worth of notes, comparisons, and graphs to find what I'm looking for but there are so many variables in the desired result and the names of the hardware used that I find myself drawing blanks on things I've read and reread over and over.
Here's my dilemma: I have an '06 TL with navi. I'm looking to integrate my iPod and 2 other video sources (back-up cam and a DVD player). Aside from the iPod, camera, and DVD player, what other hardware do I need to:
-control the iPod from the steering wheel/HU (pref with song info),
-video on navi (from DVD and Back-up cam)
-and retain XM.

My deepest apologies if this has been covered before, but like I've said, I've searched many threads and there are so many variables that can't make heads or tails out of anything anymore. If this has been covered, please link me to it and close this thread, if not point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am personally looking at the AutoToys option for bringing what you want into the car. There is Nav2Go and the iSimple option from what else I have seen. I like to AT option as its PNP and I dont have to do much modification to get what I want in there (someone correct me if Im wrong please).

If you want to see the backup cam/autotoys in action check out MoMo's thread -->here

Hope It helps ya a bit...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for bringing up the AT option. I haven't stumbled across it until now and am seriously considering it. The only thing that really breaks the deal for the AT setup is having to use the supplied remote to control the iPod. Things like that tend to lose themselves quite quickly. I've been leaning toward a Nav-2-go and Pie X3 setup. Will that give me the steering wheel controls, song info, and external video sources on navi? Is there any special harnesses that need to be bought separately for these units?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as Im aware I think the iSimple is the only one that gives you access to the steering wheel controls. I have seen them on eBay cheap so check there if you want to look into those. I know from my research so far that you have to splice some wires for the Nav2Go option...which is something I didnt care to do.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Ok, so you're suggesting the iSimple AND the Nav2Go? Sorry for being so dense, I just can't seem to grasp what hardware is stand-alone and what has dependants. I mean, I'm sure most of the things mentioned here CAN be stand-alone, but when looking for specific results some devices depend on others to get those results. I don't mind splicing wires for the Nav2Go if thats what will give me what I'm looking for, there's plenty of write-ups on Azine that should make that a breeze. I was under the impression that to get more than one video source to display on the navi, one would need the Pie X3. Correct? And then whatever other devices would give the desired results. So to get my steering controls, backup cam, and another video source, I would need the iSimple, Pie X3, and Nav2Go? Or is there a simpler way to do this?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Which version of iSimple works with our cars?