Ipod Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ipod Adapter

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=879

Anyone out there looked into this product. USA-Spec interface for ipod. It has a built in Aux adapter and ipod integration.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks pretty sweet. Sounds like what the Music Link should be. The possible XM interference sounds a little scary though. Anybody want to take the plunge? I wish that I had not jumped on the Music Link bandwagon so quickly.

jjh1234
Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

The last page in the manual says it works with the 04-06 TLs. Just a matter of who wants to give it a shot first. To me it looks pretty much perfect, exactly what the Musiclink should have been. And it includes another Aux input which is just icing on the cake.

-apnar
Old 02-01-2006, 09:12 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Originally Posted by jjh1234
I wish that I had not jumped on the Music Link bandwagon so quickly.

jjh1234
Same here- if this adaptor really works as advertised, but I don't see why not. As I mentioned in other topic, many adapotor manufactures don't list TL as compatible, because it doesn't have an empty CD changer interface connector. But as Music link shows, it is possible to plug a Y- cable in 14 pin XM connector and use to hook up an iPod adaptor or another CD changer. I am almost certain that other iPod adaptors will also work with the Y cable.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Blitzsafe

I saw a Blitzsafe Acura Ipod Interface (HON/M-Link1 V.2) for 04-05 TL. But I wasn't sure about its compatibility. Here's the results I've gathered:

Logjamelectronics Tech Support: NOT Compatible
Blitzsafe Tech support: Compatible
Enfigcarstereo: Listed as compatible

This looks like the best and cheapest solution for people looking for adding iPod and don't mind losing XM.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iamthebert
This looks like the best and cheapest solution for people looking for adding iPod and don't mind losing XM.
iamthebert,

It looks like with this solution (the PA11-HON2) you get full ipod controls and get to keep XM. There is the following note in the manual though:

When both iPod and XM radio are installed: some vehicles – when listening to the satellite radio interference can occur, you will need to disconnect the SAT connection as there is currently no solution for resolving the interference problem.
I guess we'll just have to see if the TL falls in the "some vehicles" catagory.

-apnar
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Banned

Does anyone find it odd- that USA Spec's web site doesn't seem to refer to this product- and that Crutchfield's site (listed as USA Spec's main retailor) doesn't have it either?

Hoping this product is true / as advertised- I have until Friday to cancel the Music Link order

I sent an email to USA Spec- will post if I get reply
Old 02-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 06AM6MT
Does anyone find it odd- that USA Spec's web site doesn't seem to refer to this product- and that Crutchfield's site (listed as USA Spec's main retailor) doesn't have it either?

Hoping this product is true / as advertised- I have until Friday to cancel the Music Link order

I sent an email to USA Spec- will post if I get reply

I believe this is an extremely new product. It's still strange that it's not on the manufacturers' web site. If it wasn't for that noise disclaimer they posted, I would have one on order right now. I would like to get more info on this problem before diving in to this. I'm not looking forward to ripping apart my dash again.

jjh1234
Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Called USA Spec 626-336-3836

They stated that they have not yet tested this part on the TL- which is why they don't yet list it in their application guide- They are now calling discountcarstereo.com to ask why they are advertising that the part fits the TL when it is not yet tested. She couldn't provide me with an ETA on the completion of the testing phase.

Perhaps if we all email / call USA Spec we can demonstrate a demand for the product and get em movin!

Brad
Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
SSM 6MT

I'm interested to see if this USA Spec adapter will work, I don't care about XM functionality.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Racer

I was going to buy it also but its still lame. It says it will not display text on the screen only the ipod. Only shows up as track and number. Just like the music link. If i'm to lose my xm which i don't mind, thats interface is able to display text why not this adapter.

5. iPod text is displayed on the iPod NOT the radio. You will see playlist and track #‘s only.

Someone needs to get this adapter right.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Racer

Has anyone looked into the dension

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/densioni20hondar3.html

They say if your radio supports text it will display it. Ours doesn't but or xm part does. I will call desion in a few.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tfe691
I was going to buy it also but its still lame. It says it will not display text on the screen only the ipod. Only shows up as track and number. Just like the music link. If i'm to lose my xm which i don't mind, thats interface is able to display text why not this adapter.
I'm not positive but it seems that this would allow you to keep XM. So in general it's just like the MusicLink with the following exceptions:

- this allows you to control the ipod via the ipod interface (doesn't lock it out)
- this provides an additional Aux In

-MusicLink reads through track names and such
Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06AM6MT
Called USA Spec 626-336-3836

They stated that they have not yet tested this part on the TL- which is why they don't yet list it in their application guide- They are now calling discountcarstereo.com to ask why they are advertising that the part fits the TL when it is not yet tested. She couldn't provide me with an ETA on the completion of the testing phase.

Perhaps if we all email / call USA Spec we can demonstrate a demand for the product and get em movin!

Brad
I called them up this morning and spoke w/ a guy that said they sent out some of the units to Acura Dealers to test it out. Intially i was offering my car to work on but i doubt its gonna happen. He said test results will be in by 1 week.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Wants an M3 in

Originally Posted by tfe691

5. iPod text is displayed on the iPod NOT the radio. You will see playlist and track #‘s only.

Someone needs to get this adapter right.
Our HU does not have CD text so it wouldnt know how to display the track name
Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Wants an M3 in

Man I had this in my shopping cart until I saw the post about it being UNTESTED
Old 02-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Advanced

I'll be the guniea pig, just ordered mine!! I saw someone post that the 14-pin slot is already filled, I'm assuming with the XM connector. Since I don't care about XM, I'm assuming that I DON'T need to purchase the Y-cable and I can plug directly into this connector?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jaymd123
I'll be the guniea pig, just ordered mine!! I saw someone post that the 14-pin slot is already filled, I'm assuming with the XM connector. Since I don't care about XM, I'm assuming that I DON'T need to purchase the Y-cable and I can plug directly into this connector?

Do you have navi...cause if you do won't you need this cable

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=787

I called and talked to the guys at discount and the way they explained it to me ...If you have navi you need this cable inorder to keep the audio portion of the navigation.

I'm still pretty confused and don;t know what to buy.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 PM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

According to TL schematics, 14 pin white connector has nothing to do with navi. Navi voice is fed into the audio system via 26 pin gray connector. 14 pin is going only to XM
Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Our HU does not have CD text so it wouldnt know how to display the track name
I was saying if it goes through the xm connection, xm can display text. so why can't an adapter that takes over the xm postition do the same? I understand the cd text thing but this is different.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gt1
According to TL schematics, 14 pin white connector has nothing to do with navi. Navi voice is fed into the audio system via 26 pin gray connector. 14 pin is going only to XM
So the Y cable is only needed if one would want to retain the function of the XM. Being canadian and not having XM I would not need the Y cable. Is that right???

The guys on the phone at discount had told me that I need the Y cable to retain the function of the navi audio.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by audi_to_TL
So the Y cable is only needed if one would want to retain the function of the XM. Being canadian and not having XM I would not need the Y cable. Is that right???

The guys on the phone at discount had told me that I need the Y cable to retain the function of the navi audio.

I think other Acura/Honda vehicles may use this port for the Navi, but NOT the TL. The 14-pin connector on our car is a direct connection from the XM to HU per the service manual. This port should be empty on Canadian TL's, even with Navi. Maybe a Canadian owner can verify for us.

jjh1234
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Advanced

I think other Acura/Honda vehicles may use this port for the Navi, but NOT the TL. The 14-pin connector on our car is a direct connection from the XM to HU per the service manual.
That's my understanding of it too. I did 3-day shipping so I should be installing it toward the end of next week. I read the return policy on there site and it stated that if the product doesn't work and your vehicle WAS listed as compatible that they would give a refund (minus shipping). Let's wait and see, $136 sounds a lot better than $500+ for the music link!!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Wants an M3 in

dammit i need tires ... but i want this TOO!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Wants an M3 in

I will probably order this in march ... I get a raise so I'll have some additional play time money!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

That's my understanding of it too. I did 3-day shipping so I should be installing it toward the end of next week. I read the return policy on there site and it stated that if the product doesn't work and your vehicle WAS listed as compatible that they would give a refund (minus shipping). Let's wait and see, $136 sounds a lot better than $500+ for the music link!!

All I have to say is thank you and please remember to post your results as soon as you get it in.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
05 TL

Keep in mind you (at least I) didnt have to remove the radio / Nav to get the white plug unplugged and reattched. Just plan on laying on the drivers side floor. Its the white plug closest to you... I unscrewed the storage bins, and moved (not removed) them forward.

That hint will save you atleast 30 min, and 50 cuss words.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Reelect Al Gore!

I, too, am very interested to read of your results. Can you post some pics of your install as well?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Just a quick update before I head off to bed. Got the unit tonight (way ahead of schedule) and first results look good!! I had it in the "Playlist Mode" at first which is similar to the MusicLink way (no control through iPod) and that worked as advertised.

I then switched to "Direct Mode" which allows you to control through iPod and it works great! I also hooked up my Sirius receiver to the AUX input and that's working as well (although not much of an improvment over the FM modulator).

The only glitch/bug I've seen is that when in CDC mode on the radio, its not showing the Disc or Track numbers. They just appear blank but ALL controls are working (disc up/down, track up/down, and FF/RW).

I'll post pics and some more detail tomorrow. I left everything disassembled because I can't find a good place to stash the unit (its not that big though). So far its turning out to be a great alternative to MusicLink!!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Just a quick update before I head off to bed. Got the unit tonight (way ahead of schedule) and first results look good!! I had it in the "Playlist Mode" at first which is similar to the MusicLink way (no control through iPod) and that worked as advertised.

I then switched to "Direct Mode" which allows you to control through iPod and it works great! I also hooked up my Sirius receiver to the AUX input and that's working as well (although not much of an improvment over the FM modulator).

The only glitch/bug I've seen is that when in CDC mode on the radio, its not showing the Disc or Track numbers. They just appear blank but ALL controls are working (disc up/down, track up/down, and FF/RW).

I'll post pics and some more detail tomorrow. I left everything disassembled because I can't find a good place to stash the unit (its not that big though). So far its turning out to be a great alternative to MusicLink!!
jaymd123,

I know you don't have/care about XM but can you test if XM still works with it connected? Thanks.

-apnar
Old 02-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Advanced

XM does NOT work. I unplugged the 14-pin white connector which is the XM input. They also sell a Y-cable at the same place for about $20 so you can retain XM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Wants an M3 in

damn u now i HAVE to order!!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Racer

jaymd123,

You said that the AUX input was little improvement over the FM modulator. Are you experiencing problems with it, or was your FM modulator pretty good already? Any hiss or static when using the AUX in?

Thanks,

jjh1234
Old 02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Advanced

jaymd123,

You said that the AUX input was little improvement over the FM modulator. Are you experiencing problems with it, or was your FM modulator pretty good already? Any hiss or static when using the AUX in?

Thanks,

jjh1234
I think my FM modulator was pretty good to start. The most noticeable difference is that there is no more hiss, static. I expected an improvement in overall quality, hopefully comparable to the built-in XM. I think Sirius's codecs are just not as good as XM.

I'll plug a CD player or something else into the AUX in to verify it.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Ok everybody, I posted a new thread to get some more exposure. You can see some pics and get more details here....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131280