iPhone with USAspec iPod link?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone with USAspec iPod link?

Anyone know if the iPhone will work with the iPod adapter from USAspec??
Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Intermediate

i'm also curious to know. i've got a usa spec kit installed and am considering and iphone.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think so long as the connector on the bottom is the same and it provides the same ipod-only data flow it would work.. only one way to find out though!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I am keeping this thread open since it is a very good detailed question.

Is the iPhone compatible with any aftermarket iPod interfaces out there (USA Spec/Dice/Blitzsafe/unkown)?

For all other questions concerning the iPhone and the TL, please ask here: iPhone works like a charm in '05 TL!. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have an iPhone and a 1st gen Neo adapter (no text display), and when I plug the iPhone into the adapter, I get a message on the iPhone that the accessory is not compatible. That said, it still plays through the adapter and the controls work and the ipod charges. The only issue I have had, and I'm in an RDX mind you, is that when I make a phone call, the iPhone iPod will pause, but when I hang up, it doesn't resume playback automatically. I have to hit play on the ipod. Could be that I need to play with the iPhone settings so that the iPhone doesn't go to sleep if it is paused for a certain length of time. Another member in RDX says that he is using the DICE adapter, and does not have this problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:16 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the Iphone have a headphone jack for people using something like an RCA to 3.5 mm cable tied into the PIE X3?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Does the Iphone have a headphone jack for people using something like an RCA to 3.5 mm cable tied into the PIE X3?
It does have the standard 3.5mm, but a lot of people are complaining that the jack is too far recessed to fit a lot of standard headphones. Looks like apple partnered with the headphone manufacturer's so they could sell us a whole new set of headphones...business is business....
Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnybn
It does have the standard 3.5mm, but a lot of people are complaining that the jack is too far recessed to fit a lot of standard headphones. Looks like apple partnered with the headphone manufacturer's so they could sell us a whole new set of headphones...business is business....
Thanks! Good to know...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI, the iPhone does NOT work with the Auto Kit from Belkin. Line-out is not functional. I am curious to see if the USAspec kit works since I will have to rewire my car now.

Not sure what they did different. All iPods with that connector seem to work the same...except the iPhone. Certain accessories just don't work with it.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:57 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

From apple.com:

Can I use iPod accessories with my new iPhone?
iPhone has the same 30-pin dock connector as the iPod, so many properly designed accessories can be used with both iPhone and iPod. However, iPhone may cause audio interference with some iPod accessories. Products that are engineered and certified to be compatible with the iPhone will carry the “Works with iPhone” logo on their packaging. See Accessories for more information.

What kind of headphones can I use with iPhone?
iPhone has a standard 3.5-mm headphone jack, so it is compatible with most portable stereo headphones. Some stereo headphones may require an adapter (sold separately) to ensure proper fit.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried my buddys Iphone over the holiday in my sevup to see if audio will play through my PIE X3 - AV-POD adapter and it did not, :-( all it did was charge the iphone, this adapter works seamless ly with my ipod video v5.5 it sends audio via 30 pin connector to rca output to the pie x3 and has a video ouput i send into doms unit. im surprised that the audio didnt work and i expected the video not to work from previouse reports. good thing i didnt buy one, im going to wait till it works with my setup.... i need it to have a video out for me to spend that much cash...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Cruisin'

Update - IT WORKS!!

When you plug it in, an error message pops up on the iPhone saying that "this accessory was not designed to work with iPhone, would you like to turn on airplane mode..blah..blah". If you press "No", it jumps directly to the iPod and starts playing. Full capabilities.

What's more, I actually think it integrates better than the iPod. Now your music actually pauses when you get a call on HandsfreeLink. Also, navigating songs is quicker; there's no delay when you press the change-song button.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Update - IT WORKS!!

When you plug it in, an error message pops up on the iPhone saying that "this accessory was not designed to work with iPhone, would you like to turn on airplane mode..blah..blah". If you press "No", it jumps directly to the iPod and starts playing. Full capabilities.

What's more, I actually think it integrates better than the iPod. Now your music actually pauses when you get a call on HandsfreeLink. Also, navigating songs is quicker; there's no delay when you press the change-song button.
Sweet news! I was always playing with the idea of getting this thing anyway for the better sound quality over my ghetto tape deck rig. Now that my tape deck thing doesn't work anymore I might have to splurge. Can you give me the model number of this thing? Is XM still available when you have this installed? I've not had much of a chance to look through the forums about all the details yet.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
I am keeping this thread open since it is a very good detailed question.

Is the iPhone compatible with any aftermarket iPod interfaces out there (USA Spec/Dice/Blitzsafe/unkown)?

For all other questions concerning the iPhone and the TL, please ask here: iPhone works like a charm in '05 TL!. Thanks.

Well I can say the DICE kit does work with the iPhone. No problems with the steering wheel/headunit control and text display on the factory headunit is working good too.

I think we're the first company to certify that the kit is compatable with the iPhone.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 PM
4th Gear

Nick:
Is the Dice unit certified by apple to work. Can you confirm there is no phone interference? When it is plugged in, will the iPhone pop up the message saying the accessory is not compatible and asking to turn on airplane mode?

Also, does the integrated XM in our TLs need to be disconnected to install this unit?
thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by AirlineMuseum.com
Nick:
Is the Dice unit certified by apple to work. Can you confirm there is no phone interference? When it is plugged in, will the iPhone pop up the message saying the accessory is not compatible and asking to turn on airplane mode?

Also, does the integrated XM in our TLs need to be disconnected to install this unit?
thanks
wow, you're from 9/2003 and that was your first post.... I'm honored!

No, we're not certified by Apple, YET. No one is - it's just too soon. (Just for reference, we are the only intergration company that's Apple certed for the iPod) We certified the iPhone for our kit last weekend if it matters.

No interference. The reason why that message comes up is because of unshielded speakers or tuners that can get a buzzing from the phone's transmitter. GSM phones (which is what AT&T uses) cause this. But since we are hardwired into the car and the car's equipment is shielded from RF interference, there is no issue at all when it comes to interference.

It will give the warning message when plug it in
(there's going to be a chip from Apple we would need to install to prevent this, last I heard it hasn't been released yet, not 100% certain on the status. I think we'll have to find out when they certify products that work like ours does)
but you can press no without complication or just ignore it and it will go away by itself after 1 minute.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Racer

Oh, juding by what the hardware and the software that's in the iPhone we expect to be certified without us having to change a thing.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Racer

I forgot - No, you don't need to disconnect your XM. If you keep XM, you will not have text display but everything else will work.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Update - IT WORKS!!

Does the USA Spec kit allow you to have full control over the iPhone (so you can use the iPhone screen to navigate and choose songs)? Or do you just have full control with the head unit controls?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
2nd Gear

I have acura's ipod connector in my car, has anyone tried the iphone with that yet?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tbecker82
I have acura's ipod connector in my car, has anyone tried the iphone with that yet?
It will work, but make sure your iPhone is up to date first.