Instructions for installing USASPEC

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instructions for installing USASPEC

Hello.

This is my first post.

I just purchased 06 TL and was looking into installing iPod adapter. I settled on either PA11-HON2 or mp3yourcaone.

I would do it myself, but I am not completely confident in my work, plus I do not know how to take the panels out to unscrew the radio. Does anyone have pics or manual for how to take the panels out?

Also, I understand that cable splitter will be required to connect the iPod adapter. The question I have, does it goes in to the XM port or NAVI port on back of the radio?

Is it true that PA11-HON2 does not display track numbers on the NAVI screen?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate if anyone has complete instructions.

Or should I taking to car stereo store to install it?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Your answers are here: THE alternative to the MusicLink is here
Old 05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datmrman
I saw that post, but there so many replies that it is very confusing to figure out what one need to do that.

So far I am sure in one thing. I will need the:

Product Name: USASpec PA11-HON2 2003-Up Honda Aux. Input + Interface for Ipod

and

Product Name: PIE HON03-F/MM (08A31-0F1-000) 2003-Up Honda Navigation harness - it says Honda Navigation harness for XM.

Does it being plugged in to the XM port or the Navigation port?

If it is plugged in to the XM, do you loose XM or not also is there XM bleeds?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Safety Car

Havent done the install myself, but from what I've read:

There is a external CDC (CD Changer) plug at the back of the head unit. Currently, the XM occupies it. The USA Spec will also need to use that plug. I think the "navigation harness" you are referring to is a Y cable that will allow you to connect both the original XM AND the USA Spec cables to that CDC plug. This is how you retain XM. If you don't mind losing XM, you don't need the Y cable.

I'm sure wacoow or others (like slimmyjimmy) can elaborate.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

Some of the members are very creative. I didn't even know you can install backup cameras in TL.

Correct me if I wrong, the only thing for the camera install I need is:

Dom's Navi converter and the camera.

Questions:

Does the camera turns on when you put the car in reverse or one would have to turn it on manually?

Who is Dom and how do I contact him?

How dificult it is to install it? I am not very good on installing things in the car.

Does iPod and Camera installed separetly?

Does anyone knows good installation outlet in Los Angeles that can install iPod and Camera? I stopped at Al & Ed's, but for the price they quoted, I would have to take a equity loan.

Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:39 AM
Safety Car

To help a , I'll answer some of your questions suppafreak, but you will need to try to search and/or browse the forum next time.

First, you should definitely check out slimmyjimmy's thread. He has a really good setup going.

Dom is currently having a group buy for the TVandNav2Go unit until May 31st. Check that thread out. A good chunk of your questions will be answered there. Post #55 is my post on a summary of the parts.

There are many members that have installed these units themselves, others have opted to have someone else do it for them. Read up on the install instructions and see how confident you are. Install instructions are in the Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics and Navigation subforum. Search is your friend.

The iPod interface and the backup camera require different controllers. Dom's TVandNav2Go will handle the video (therefore DVD/TV/PS2/camera/whatever) and the Blitzsafe/PIE/USA Spec interface will handle the audio (for iPod or aux input).

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

I have that set up and I'm very, very happy to say that I paid about $60 for installation at a local car stereo place. I had no desire at all to tear into my brand new 2006 TL not knowing how it would come out.

When I bought the car I had the iPod Music Link installed by the dealer but hated it and get it removed and refunded then purchased the USA Spec and splitter cable for less than half the cost (including install).

The only issue I have is the unit works perfectly with one of the remotes (user #1) but not so good with the other remote - not a big deal or real concern to me.

Nothing really displays on the nav screen - I had the cable run up into the cup holder and keep my iPod in there. I love the set up, the music sounds great and I've got almost my entire collection close at hand.