Inputing NAVI for numbered streets...HOW?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Make it so

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up Inputing NAVI for numbered streets...HOW?!

So I've been trying to figure this out for the last few weeks,but I don't dare posting in the regional forum because otherwise I may never really hear about it.

This isn't unique to Utah, but it's at its worst here because every street is numbered (instead of just a few, like back home in Ohio).

What I mean is that you have main street and center street- no problems there. But here in Utah they use the grid system, so the streets on either side of main or center are 100 West, 200 West, 100 North, 200 South, etc. You get the picture.

Inputing addresses into the NAVI is a pain, so much so that I just give up every time. If I have an address like 649 E 800 N, for example, I can't imput 649 or 800 as the street name, even though it's part of the address of the place I'm trying to get to.

How would I input such addresses? I know getting an update for my NAVI isn't an issue, because I know Acura would've screwed over the entire state of Utah or any other numbered streets in the US because of something like this.

I'm sure there's a way, and I'm determined to find it. But my manly pride is at its end, so I will ask.

How do I do this?

Thanks ahead of time, everyone
Old 11-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
i dont get it, there are streets like that in manhattan and i was able to input addresses just like that into my navi. im guessing its the way you are typing in the information?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Perhaps. Whenever I try to type in the addresses, it limits my number choices so I can never input the right address. So I'm like half a mile away from where I'm supposed to be ending up. One time I just used the crosshairs itself, and it recognized the right address, but I thought it really quite ridiculous that it couldn't have me input that info.

I was thinking about getting the latest NAVI update for kicks anyway (I don't think the car's NAVI has ever been updated), but I can hardly believe all the addresses will suddenly show up.

What method do you use when inputing your streets there in NY?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure if you have tried to input it starting with the number. In your example, 649 E 800 N, I would input by street starting with 800 and then let the navi give you all the directional options. That works for me. I input 8th and it asks, N 8th or S 8th.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Phmbm12

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
im a utahn too. it frustrates me.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stocks2k
I am not sure if you have tried to input it starting with the number. In your example, 649 E 800 N, I would input by street starting with 800 and then let the navi give you all the directional options. That works for me. I input 8th and it asks, N 8th or S 8th.
I just tried your example on my Navi and it works.
The street is 800 N, and then I put in the address and it came up with

200 E 800 N or 200 E 800 S. I have a 2004 navi disk, so it didn't recognize 649 on 800 street.
I use my Navi allot, as here in Metro Atlanta there are 23 "peachtree" streets,
59 distinct cities with each having a "main street".
Old 11-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Phmbm12

even if you type in the numbers, sometimes it doesnt show up because you need the "street name" in some cases.

for example, lets say i was looking for 5038w 4680s. i'd type that in and it wouldnt show up. the street name is eaglewood dr. and i'd have to type that in.

i wish just typing in the numbers would work
Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by stocks2k
Yeah, that example *kinda* works...the problem is that it's not simply like 8th street, where it's got a south side and a north side (like on Main Street, for example). The entire street is 8 blocks north of main street, and it goes East to West so that number never changes (at least for that address example I said earlier). Same for the 800 S as well. The street name is the number, and the NAVI has no way of knowing that so it thinks you're inputing the address.

I'm from Ohio originally and this is just one more reason to make fun of all my friends that, in turn, tease me because I don't like the grid system that they have here in Utah.

If any of you come up with any ideas, let me know because that way I don't look like a doofus in the car when I take a girl to Salt Lake City, for example (two hours away). The highway route would be nice to have, but I can't even do that with the address input. Bleh.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Phmbm12

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
Yeah, that example *kinda* works...the problem is that it's not simply like 8th street, where it's got a south side and a north side (like on Main Street, for example). The entire street is 8 blocks north of main street, and it goes East to West so that number never changes (at least for that address example I said earlier). Same for the 800 S as well. The street name is the number, and the NAVI has no way of knowing that so it thinks you're inputing the address.

I'm from Ohio originally and this is just one more reason to make fun of all my friends that, in turn, tease me because I don't like the grid system that they have here in Utah.

If any of you come up with any ideas, let me know because that way I don't look like a doofus in the car when I take a girl to Salt Lake City, for example (two hours away). The highway route would be nice to have, but I can't even do that with the address input. Bleh.
Dont ya just love utah lol
Old 11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I just tried this in my 07 tl-s.

Enter street name "800" then list then select 1st option which is "800".
Enter "649" then push done
select city "Ogden"
and the address shows up
Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Make it so

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ZhenyaF
I just tried this in my 07 tl-s.

Enter street name "800" then list then select 1st option which is "800".
Enter "649" then push done
select city "Ogden"
and the address shows up
Impressive.

Except that that fictional address is in Logan....

THEN AGAIN! Every city in Utah probably has that address since the grid system is the same everywhere. Does it allow you to choose Logan as a destination city?

If so, then the problem is essentially solved. I would try it out right now but I've been so busy with midterms and 16-page term papers that I have had zero time to play with my NAVI lately.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
Impressive.

Except that that fictional address is in Logan....

THEN AGAIN! Every city in Utah probably has that address since the grid system is the same everywhere. Does it allow you to choose Logan as a destination city?

If so, then the problem is essentially solved. I would try it out right now but I've been so busy with midterms and 16-page term papers that I have had zero time to play with my NAVI lately.
If you have any addresses that wont go in, feel free to PM me, so I can check if I can do it. Most of the streets in NY are numbers, and there's a specific way of entering them