Infinity speakers in the rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 02:07 AM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Infinity speakers in the rear deck

I have researched threads concerning front speaker replacement with Infinitys, (namely the one by AMIC) looks like a lot of you guys have done them. It looks like 63.7is will fit in the doors, I have my eye on it.

My question though is for the rear speakers. Looks like far fewer people have done them. Has anyone put Infinity's back there? For anyone who has done them, does it really make a big difference? Are they worth it? I'm going to be putting in heavy duty subs in the trunk so I am looking for clarity over bass. Do the 63.5is fit there? Is there enough clearance or are alterations necessary? Or how about the 62.5is, anyone try them in the rear?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I have researched threads concerning front speaker replacement with Infinitys, (namely the one by AMIC) looks like a lot of you guys have done them. It looks like 63.7is will fit in the doors, I have my eye on it.

My question though is for the rear speakers. Looks like far fewer people have done them. Has anyone put Infinity's back there? For anyone who has done them, does it really make a big difference? Are they worth it? I'm going to be putting in heavy duty subs in the trunk so I am looking for clarity over bass. Do the 63.5is fit there? Is there enough clearance or are alterations necessary? Or how about the 62.5is, anyone try them in the rear?

Yeah, there is a thread in the audio section about it, do a search
Old 07-28-2007, 07:29 PM
King of NYC

I searched quite a bit, I am pulling nothing up about 63.5is put in the rear deck. People have done other speakers though. I am trying to find out specifically about Infinitys or any feedback over time for people who have been living with them. If they're not worth it, I really don't feel like ripping that whole rear deck apart. Front door speakers are way easier.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:12 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=99

Here is the only help that I have... (drill holes here )

Its on page 3 or 4 of center channel speaker upgrade..
Old 07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Not sure about the fit but I'm definately doing the Infinites in the rear now that I've finished the front. Just waiting to do the dynamat at the same time, don't want to tear it apart twice.

After doing the fronts, it made an incredible difference but when I play DVD-As, the sound isn't balanced as well since the fronts are a bit louder than the rears. I have to fade it slightly to the rear to get the surround to sound right.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I probably won't do the rear as I rarely play DVD-A disks. I currently have the fader one notch to the front for normal listening and I like it that way. For DVD-A I might move it back to center but I usually don't even bother.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Kennedy has a post about it here https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/keyless-remote-control-brand-new-157898/
Old 07-29-2007, 03:32 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Thanks KN...

Rocky...
IMO, the 62.7s are better for the fronts. The 63's are bit overkill considering thier placement so low in the door, and the fact that you have tweeters in the dash.

I put the 63.7s in the rear. They make a HUGE difference. I cannot stop rockin out to the "The Donna- Gold Medal" - That album is unbelievably mixed, and the tweets mids in the rear bounce off the back glass. It's phenominal.

It is a full day of work doing the sub, and rear with dynamat. Just clear your schedule and get it done. You have to drill 1 hole (2 line up), and trim the OE speaker clips... other than that, they dropped in.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Thanks KN...

Rocky...
IMO, the 62.7s are better for the fronts. The 63's are bit overkill considering thier placement so low in the door, and the fact that you have tweeters in the dash.

I put the 63.7s in the rear. They make a HUGE difference. I cannot stop rockin out to the "The Donna- Gold Medal" - That album is unbelievably mixed, and the tweets mids in the rear bounce off the back glass. It's phenominal.

It is a full day of work doing the sub, and rear with dynamat. Just clear your schedule and get it done. You have to drill 1 hole (2 line up), and trim the OE speaker clips... other than that, they dropped in.
The 63.7s sound awesome in the front. I was a little concerned about having too much treble but that isn't the case. Remember, the 3-ways add a mid range, not an extra tweeter. With the new 2 ohm reference tweeters in the dash, they are very balanced.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:33 AM
King of NYC

Well coming from a pretty crazy stereo in my old car, I got pretty used to high crisp treble and bass that massaged my backrest. And that was with crappy MP3s. I was excited when I got my TL. The ELS was so so hyped up. Then I realized I'm not the only one who thinks it sounds muddy and damped as hell. Delco systems on GM rental cars might be super low-tech comparably but are louder! Sad! DVD-As are OK, I have a couple, but that's enough, I'm not shelling out $20/DVD to get some decent sound.

It's good to hear the positive feedback on the Infinity. It reinforces the belief that it will make the drastic difference I need. For me I doubt very much the 63.7s will be overkill. I will adjust the treble accordingly. I'll need to because I'm putting extra tweeters in the B pillar. (I've done that in my last 3 cars and it sounds AWESOME!) So choosing the model with a midrange will help. Bass will be handled by subs in the trunk so the other speakers need not be taxed. (The same Infinity Perfect 12s I ran in my old car, loved em.) I'm gonna just leave the stock sub alone. I have heard Infinitys in other cars and I know they are great. The reason I think I'll end up doing the rear speakers anyways is I'm sure once I put my subs in the trunk I'll get pretty crazy vibrations in the rear deck and will have to dynomat and pull the rear deck anyway. As for the dash tweets and center, I just don't see how necessary that is just yet. We'll see.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:39 AM
King of NYC

I saw both those threads BTW, just wanted more specifics. I'm just an information junky. I do a lot of research before starting anything
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
Well coming from a pretty crazy stereo in my old car, I got pretty used to high crisp treble and bass that massaged my backrest. And that was with crappy MP3s. I was excited when I got my TL. The ELS was so so hyped up. Then I realized I'm not the only one who thinks it sounds muddy and damped as hell. Delco systems on GM rental cars might be super low-tech comparably but are louder! Sad! DVD-As are OK, I have a couple, but that's enough, I'm not shelling out $20/DVD to get some decent sound.

It's good to hear the positive feedback on the Infinity. It reinforces the belief that it will make the drastic difference I need. For me I doubt very much the 63.7s will be overkill. I will adjust the treble accordingly. I'll need to because I'm putting extra tweeters in the B pillar. (I've done that in my last 3 cars and it sounds AWESOME!) So choosing the model with a midrange will help. Bass will be handled by subs in the trunk so the other speakers need not be taxed. (The same Infinity Perfect 12s I ran in my old car, loved em.) I'm gonna just leave the stock sub alone. I have heard Infinitys in other cars and I know they are great. The reason I think I'll end up doing the rear speakers anyways is I'm sure once I put my subs in the trunk I'll get pretty crazy vibrations in the rear deck and will have to dynomat and pull the rear deck anyway. As for the dash tweets and center, I just don't see how necessary that is just yet. We'll see.
Why not try the Infinities in the stock tweeter location before you put them in the B-pillar? They sound nice bouncing off the windshield. It's a personal preference but I hate the tweeter aimed right at me. Edit: the Kappas in the doors will scream at you if you turn the treble too high but backing it off really tames them and knowing you have a little extra in reserve is nice. I think Infinities are great for running with the stock headunit. Might be a little "bright" with a lot of power.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah rock... You don't need those tweets in the pillar... that's overkill.

Not only that, where I have the seat positioned, the side of the seat covers the B-pillar, it would just be muffled by the seat anyway.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:00 PM
King of NYC

OK, maybe you guys are right with tweeter overkill. I had a pair of 4ohm Infinitys a few weeks ago and tested them out on my home theatre system. The tweeters were pretty crazy, much louder than my home speakers.

It's just that when I did the B pillar tweets in other cars it really gave a good soundstage and an awesome surround effect. (I had a Pioneer deck with DSP.) I wire in a resistor to limit the power/freq. so it dosen't sound shrill. I position the tweeters high up not right in your ear or right next to the seat. The back seat can hear it too.

It's just that when I lean towards the dash and listen to the stock dash tweeters when the system is pumped it does sound pretty loud. I think it's just the positioning that's bad as the sound is expected to reflect and disperse off the windshield and it's not good enough for that. (I know, high frequencies bounce well.) I thought maybe B-pillar tweets will sound better with direct sound instead of reflected. Maybe as you guys said Infinitys would fare better in the dash as they will be better matched with 2/3-ways in the door. I think the real secret over the better power handling is the enhanced frequency range and better sensitivity.

I will try the front doors first and see how it goes. If I am still treble hungry, I am going to experiment by wiring in tweeters and testing them in each and both positions. I think that's the only way I'll know what's best for my ears. Can't wait to get my subs in later! I've been living without them for a year! Then I'll worry about the rears when I have to dynomat.