if i get new speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if i get new speakers...

Do I need to change the crossover or anything else? I am thinking that because it is a "surround sound" system so maybe the crossover is configed that way, and it would make new speakers have the same effect.

Also, what is a good suggestion to replacing the speakers. Do i change just door speakers? tweeters? center speaker? should i leave in sub? I just want better sound. It sounds very muddy to me. My 97 qx4 had a bose system with no sub and it just sounded a lot clearer and better imo, as much as bose is supposed to suck. Any advice would be appreciated. What a car....
Old 10-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm by far not an audio expert, nor am I 100% sure what you're hearing, but I'll venture a guess anyway.

Have you tried turning up the treble volume? I found that from the factory, things didn't sound very clear until I turned the treble up. I also turned up the bass some, but not all the way.

I read on a previous thread that someone was told the TL's factory speakers were actually quite good. They explained that it was suggested they only replace the sub, and leave everything else as is. Of course, I imagine it is really more a matter of opinion than anything else, and since I haven't heard a comparable system with aftermarket speakers, I have no such opinion to give you.

As far as the crossovers go, the factory system should have crossovers already built in. They obviously aimed for a high-quality system, and so it wouldn't make any sense for them to send non-filtered sound to any of the speakers. And since they already have a full component system in there (tweeters, mid-range, sub), there shouldn't be any other ranges you would want to single out.

But like I said, I'm not an expert, so someone else may be able to point out that I'm completely and utterly wrong (but at least I tried ).