I Am So Mad

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Am So Mad

Fellas, i was driving a few days ago and i was at the light. A guy in a G35 was watching a MOVIE, i was certain that he was watching it off he stock navi system. Im aware that any car brought into North America CANNOT play DVD Movies, however i want to overrule that. Does anyone know how? or is it even possible WITHOUT removing the stock touch screen to be able to watch DVD Movies? I thought if i were to change the DVD-Rom in the trunk that may do the trick.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
LOL. Wow. This has been covered many times before. All you need is a signal converter from here:

http://www.avelectronic.com/

You hook it up. Bam! You can watch movies.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Signal Covnerter huh

because im a newbie at this i hope u dont mind explaning this to me. Say i buy this AV switch.....do i have to buy a DVD player too and connect it to the AV switch? Most importantly, is this a DO IT YOURSELF install? Suppose it is, where do i begin, like where is my starting point. I appreciate all the help you have given me
Old 07-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes you need to buy the DVD player also and plug it into the video switcher. I would suggest you get a shop to do it unless you are good with stuff like this.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Actually the g35 has the option for a dvd player in the car that plays off the navi screen.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some cars, like the B9 Tribeca(hope we trade the van for that) can play DVDs on the navi when it park. Was it a long red light. I personally would not WANT to watch a DVD while driving, not only is it irresponsible and stupid, I find it more entertaining to focus on the road and make engine sounds.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:21 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by crazymjb
...I personally would not WANT to watch a DVD while driving, not only is it irresponsible and stupid, I find it more entertaining to focus on the road and make engine sounds.
ABSOLUTELY. Personally I'd support legislation to revoke driver's licences for anyone caught watching "motion pictures" while driving. You have people doing their hair/makeup, shaving, talking on the (hand held) phone, reading books, etc. Enough is enough. Look, I love movies...I watch 2 to 3 new DVDs a week. But doing it behind the wheel is just idiotic.

All it takes is a second and you could wipe out some poor slob and his family (screw you if your so stupid) . Anyone who's ever come close to "buying it" in any kind of accident understands this. I love driving my car, I love watching movies but they just don't belong together. I have nothing against entertainment for the rear seat folks but anyone up front just gets to watch the road.

Driving a car is a privilege, not a god-given right. Anyone from outside the USA understands this, deeply. We seem to have forgotten it.

Sorry for the rant. This just irks me.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Exactly. On mythbusters they found that a cell is more distracting then being slightly above the legal limit. Now picture that without looking at the road... This car is equipped with an award winning sound system, if you really want entertainment as you drive, use that. They now make a laptop holder for steering wheels... I hope to see cops cracking down on that stuff. Now if you really intend to only use this while parked the unit from Vsokolov seems to be the best, if only. The only way I would have that on while driving would be for the Reverse camera.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Instructor

People people people, calm down. Look, any jackass that watches a movie while driving is looking for death. Just because i want to be able tp play DVD Movies and view them on my screen doesnt mean i will watch and drive at the same time. So for those who think people with screens in front, all they do is drive and watch movies you are completely WRONG. My family SUV, the Navigator, just recently got the alpine IVA 310 installed....and it can play DVD's without being in Park. Anyways, i see where you guys are coming from, watching movies and driving DONT mix....but who does that anyway? Like someone said its idiotic. Take care Fellas
Old 07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From your first post it sure sounds like you want to watch a movie while driving and your're upset that you can't in the TL. When exactly do you plan to watch these movies? You can't tell me that all you plan to do is listen. There's no way you will be able to not look over at the screen.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Instructor

Because you cant possible understand the way i meant for "IM SO MAD" thread, i will explain it to all those who are clueless. I just want to be able to play a DVD movie in my car, like why is it so hard for you people to understand that? i see all the time people watching movies in their car, front and rear screens......Any smart person knows not to watch a movie while driving, you must be a complete idiot to do so. My alpine IVA 310, i have soo many movies and when i park up with the girlfriend we can watch some or even watch the music videos. After this post im not goin explain myself anymore, its seems people CANNOT understand the fact that i want to be able to watch a DVD movie in my car. ALSO "AMIC" i think you should read my first post again or have someone read it to you, because plain and simple that post just asks for assistance in how to get the touch screen to play movies.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Instructor

nycAcura, sorry but your wrong on that option working that way on the G35. I owned one, and it's not suppose to work that way. You can't play a movie on the Nav screen from the factory. They can have the same hack as we do for it, and that's what that owner probably did.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not going to get into a pissing match over semantics. I wasn't the only one on this thread who interpreted your comments to mean that you would like to watch movies while you're driving. I stand by my comments that if the movie is playing while you are driving you will be inclined to watch it. Hell, sometimes I find myself enthralled with the arrow moving on the navi when I have it on just like that follow the plane over the ocean thing they have on international flights.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Does anyone read this

Cry Cry Cry Whine Whine Whine god we got a bunch of babies in here........ You guys are being a little harsh on nitehawk. Just relax why don't you. It's his car and if he wants to watch DVD's on it so be it. Shit having a navi is almost as bad so relax. I am going to get the DVD converter for my car when I get a chance. You know there is enough room in the car for three other people so they could watch it.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:52 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Donte99TL
... It's his car and if he wants to watch DVD's on it so be it. Shit having a navi is almost as bad so relax.
"So be it." ?.. Not sure I'm on board with allowing anyone to do what they want just because it's "their car".
But...
Actually I agree that the navi screen is almost as bad, perhaps worse, since it is combined with drivers usually already distracted because they don't know where they are. One could argue it's no different from taking your eyes off of the road to look at a paper map.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adobeman
"So be it." ?.. Not sure I'm on board with allowing anyone to do what they want just because it's "their car".
But...
Actually I agree that the navi screen is almost as bad, perhaps worse, since it is combined with drivers usually already distracted because they don't know where they are. One could argue it's no different from taking your eyes off of the road to look at a paper map.
Well, certainly you can agrue the point, however for those of us who have navi, I' d venture to say that the vast majority do not look at the map in the way one looks at a paper map.

Here's what I do:
1. While stopped, program the navi for the address.
2. Start on your merry way , LISTENING for the navi to tell you where and when to turn.

Sometimes, I will split the screen so I get a viewable direction list of turns, which also shows me distances to each turn. I do this so I can GLANCE at the list and get the next street name, displayed in LARGE type.

Most of the time, tho, I just listen for the turns. In this manner, I am NOT distracted from my surroundings.

Looking at the navi is definitely NOT like looking at a map. Nor is it like looking at a movie. It is more akin to looking at your gas gauge or speedo, or midi, because you just glance at it. And that's a huge difference, imo.

By the way, my wife has a navi in her TSX, cause she can't even find her way to our bathroom. She uses the navi in the exact same manner that I do, EXCEPT she never splits the screen. She just LISTENS. I dare say if the navi had not had the voice feature, neither of us would have gotten navi.

YMMV.
Regards,
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R11S
Well, certainly you can agrue the point, however for those of us who have navi, I' d venture to say that the vast majority do not look at the map in the way one looks at a paper map.

Here's what I do:
<snip>
Whoops--forgot my sig.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Advanced

Whoops--forgot my sig.
sheesh---
Old 07-04-2005, 04:55 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

By the way, my wife has a navi in her TSX, cause she can't even find her way to our bathroom. ...
LOL
I read a column many years ago in Autoweek (by Satch Carlson) that explained this. Women lack the "map folding gland". It's a general problem with directionality and all it includes. Not all suffer from it but those who do...well, you know.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Team Anthracite Member

My sig has a link to my website which has lots of info on how to do the Navi conversion. I didn't use the AV electronic box, I used a cheaper box made by Vsokolov. He's a user on this board.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Does anyone read this

[QUOTE=Adobeman]"So be it." ?.. Not sure I'm on board with allowing anyone to do what they want just because it's "their car".QUOTE]

Hey if you are not making his car payment then you have no say in what he should and shouldn't do with his car. I think that is one of the most asinine statements I have heard on here yet.

To say he has no right to do what he wants to his own car is juts crazy talk...
Old 07-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Does anyone read this

Originally Posted by Adobeman
But...
Hey if you are not making his car payment then you have no say in what he should and shouldn't do with his car. I think that is one of the most asinine statements I have heard on here yet.

To say he has no right to do what he wants to his own car is just crazy talk...
Old 07-07-2005, 12:40 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread is headed nowhere useful now..
Old 07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Does anyone read this

I gave him all the info he needs. Nitehawk if you have any more questions just PM me.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM
7th Gear

im getting a new TL, but the nav is way too expensive. I was thinking, wouldnt it be cheaper to just get an aftermarket lcd/dvd player installed??
Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get teh navi ... its only 2k more! you are already spending 30k!!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 PM
7th Gear

but i dont need a navi....i know my city. and anyways i live in canada. i heard the navi sucks here.