I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a 'specialty' tool at Harbor Freight. Once I removed the driver's side panels, the toll helped me remove the harness very quickly. From there, the rest was a snap. Thanks guys!
I have 3g iPhone, which I installed a mounting device for on the top vents on the dash. (ProClip USA mount).
I ran the cable underneath the panels, along the side of the radio yet still underneath the silver trim. The very top of the trim is not fully fastened/snapped back in, but I am fine wit that (until it starts to squeek while driving).

So I now have my iPod music in my TL!!!!!

So psyched.

Now, which aux cable do I need for additional mp3 units (either iPod type or nonIpod type)????
Old 03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought the Peripheral iSimple from discountcarstereo.com and it came in the mail today. I decided that trying to do the "contortionist" method of installing the thing would frustrate me too much, so I decided to just go ahead and take the console and dash apart so that I would have easy access to the harness and mounting locations.

For those of you who are too scared to take your console and dash apart, DON'T BE. I have no special talents when it comes to taking cars apart and furthermore I have no special tools (just used a butter knife and a screwdriver). It was one of the easiest installs I've ever done. It literally only took me 20 minutes to take the console and dash apart and about 10 minutes to put it back together, and probably saved me a huge amount of frustration and aggravation trying to get that harness out through that tiny hole! Plus I had access to much better mounting locations and was able to COMPLETELY hide the module and all of the wires, which is the look I was going for.

Everything worked perfectly on the first try on my '06 navi. I'm very satisfied. It's a great product. Total installation time was about 1 hour. EVERYTHING is hidden and looks completely stock. I drilled a hole in the back of top ashtray slot thingy and there's where the iPod connector end of the cable is located, and so it can be hidden by just closing the lid. Wrapped everything in foam so it wouldn't rattle.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um.. the stock hole in the back left corner in the top portion of our arm rests didn't tickle your fancy?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pilotman28
Um.. the stock hole in the back left corner in the top portion of our arm rests didn't tickle your fancy?
Decided I didn't like the ergonomics of putting it in the arm rest... I've got an iPhone and sometimes use streaming radio apps like Pandora over 3G and want to be able to access the iPhone to skip tracks, etc... and for me, while I'm driving it's less comfortable to reach into the arm rest to get something rather than the front ash tray slots
Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Instructor

I think ideally I'd like to be able to close the cover over the cupholders and lay mine on there. Perhaps I'll do that.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert_TL
Decided I didn't like the ergonomics of putting it in the arm rest... I've got an iPhone and sometimes use streaming radio apps like Pandora over 3G and want to be able to access the iPhone to skip tracks, etc... and for me, while I'm driving it's less comfortable to reach into the arm rest to get something rather than the front ash tray slots
I was thinking of that same predicament. I need to scour the net and see if anyone has any pics of one mounted. Possibly try a ProClip mount.

With steering wheel controls, I guess the universal dock and (worthless) remote aren't necessary. Thankfully.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
I was thinking of that same predicament. I need to scour the net and see if anyone has any pics of one mounted. Possibly try a ProClip mount.

I have the ProClip mount located on the top side of the dashboard. It's within easy reach of my right hand.
Highly recommended.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Sandy Eggo

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ukieboar
I have the ProClip mount located on the top side of the dashboard. It's within easy reach of my right hand.
Highly recommended.
Pics please..
Old 03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have mine in my center armrest -- but there is plenty of slack that i can bring it out under the armrest and have it sit on that cupholder sliding roof dealie....
Old 03-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pffpffpass
Pics please..

Here ya go....

First one is of the mount itself: you can see the peripheral cable just below the mount

Then the iPhone in the mount:

and then the peripheral cable plugged in:
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to have a problem... anyone else experience this? When I turn on "Random Album" My IPOD keeps connecting and disconnecting. Has this been experienced by anyone before? If it's Random play is OFF or on SNG (song) then it seems ok. So do I have the old firmware or something?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

gat... i don't have that problem.

I have the prev gen 2G nano -- what ipod do you have? Try a firmware upgrade, might do the trick.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
gat... i don't have that problem.

I have the prev gen 2G nano -- what ipod do you have? Try a firmware upgrade, might do the trick.
I got an iPod touch 2g ... It's so weird Rndm Albm gets all crazy. I took the whole thing apart and reexamined it too. It only happens with that mode. How do you upgrade the firmware on the device?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Cruisin'

Can someone explain to me what the dipswitches do on the PXAMG unit?
All of mine are in the 'off' position. What does tunring any one of them 'on' do?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Here ya go....

First one is of the mount itself: you can see the peripheral cable just below the mount

Then the iPhone in the mount:

and then the peripheral cable plugged in:
Damn that seems so high. I'm used to setting the dock on my under-ash area on the Accord.

Will have to consider my options. I think the low option would work pretty well. Not much need to have it LOS if the nav screen displays everything I want it to.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I got an iPod touch 2g ... It's so weird Rndm Albm gets all crazy. I took the whole thing apart and reexamined it too. It only happens with that mode. How do you upgrade the firmware on the device?
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware/
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Damn that seems so high. I'm used to setting the dock on my under-ash area on the Accord.

Will have to consider my options. I think the low option would work pretty well. Not much need to have it LOS if the nav screen displays everything I want it to.
It's not too high. It's on the same level as the gauges, maybe slightly higher. It's easy to view while looking at the road.
But ymmv.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Can someone explain to me what the dipswitches do on the PXAMG unit?
All of mine are in the 'off' position. What does tunring any one of them 'on' do?
turning ALL of them on allows you to connect to a pc to upgrade the firmware... (or do i have it backwards?) Individually turning any one of them off or on doesn't do a whole helluva lot...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM
No, that ↓ is not me...

Thumbs up

turning ALL of them on allows you to connect to a pc to upgrade the firmware... (or do i have it backwards?) Individually turning any one of them off or on doesn't do a whole helluva lot...
You are right Peter, turning all of them on allows for upgrading the firmware after connecting to a laptop or PC.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Quick question Desert, after you plugged everything back together, did the Nav or Radio ask for the password? Meaning, was the radio reset since you unplugged the harness?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Timb227
Quick question Desert, after you plugged everything back together, did the Nav or Radio ask for the password? Meaning, was the radio reset since you unplugged the harness?
Not for me -- the harness you unplug doesn't carry the power to the radio, just the XM input. Sorry if i'm totally off regarding your question.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Thanks Peter, yea that answers my question, bc I dont have my radio code and if I want it, the dealer said he'll do it for free, but I should be getting the Peripheral Controller in the mail tomorrow so I dont want to have to deal with the dealer if I dont have to.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Instructor

I just finished installing this and it was a breeze thanks to everyone on this thread. I ended up taking the panels off as I couldn't get at the connector through that tiny hole. I broke a clip but no big deal.

My firmware appears to be .25 and everything seems to work great, even the steering wheel controls. However, the ipod itself just says, "ok to disconnect". I would like to be able to use the ipod but the buttons do nothing. Is this normal or was it fixed with a firmware update?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

^^^ I too just installed this kit in my 05 TL. Absolutely love it. As far as using the ipod controls instead of the nav and steering wheel controls, you have to use the AUX1 imput, not the IPOD input. When you change from am/fm or CD, you can scroll and find AUX1. You can then use the IPOD itself to control everything. Hope this helps!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:33 PM
8th Gear

Just installed my isimple, it was pretty easy other than that damn connector. This is a great little unit. I used to have an alpine with full speed ipod support in my old car. It was sweet. This is very close to that, and its all factory looking, which is also nice. I broke a dash piece, not all the way, and it isn't noticeable, but i'd suggest that if you remove panels (other than the silver/wood trim piece) that feel free to use a long screwdriver to help you pop the panel off from behind, as opposed to just yanking. I have no idea how some people get their hands/tools back there with the panels, thats impressive. It was had for me to get the connector back in with the panels off. Let it play for a while, had no issues, picked some songs to test it out, seemed to work fine. Sounds good, nice and loud with at 4/5 setting on the radio, I know some have to turn it way up, no issues there. Using it with a first gen Iphone, no issues so far. If I ever get the new one, I'll look into getting a new cable, should be swap.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ross7778
I just finished installing this and it was a breeze thanks to everyone on this thread. I ended up taking the panels off as I couldn't get at the connector through that tiny hole. I broke a clip but no big deal.

My firmware appears to be .25 and everything seems to work great, even the steering wheel controls. However, the ipod itself just says, "ok to disconnect". I would like to be able to use the ipod but the buttons do nothing. Is this normal or was it fixed with a firmware update?

Thanks

when you're in IPOD mode, you lose function of the ipod from the ipod itself... only way to use IPOD is to switch to AUX mode or to plug IPOD in via the stereo connector
Old 04-20-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

I just wanted to confirm you could still control all aspects of the iPhone (from the phone) while it's hooked up. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
10th Gear

^^Yes, but as others have said above, you have to select the AUX1 input, instead of IPOD to control it from the ipod itself. These are not factory options, but rather options given to you by the Peripheral unit.

To better explain this, you have to select a non-XM source on your radio, then push the XM button. You immediately turn the tune knob to engage the Peripheral unit. You then choose your source: IPOD, AUX1, AUX2 or SAT. You can either choose to control your ipod through your stereo/steering wheel controls (IPOD) or directly from the ipod (AUX1), but not both at the same time. I've also found when choosing AUX1, you can still cycle through songs with the stereo or steering wheel controls, but you don't have any song info. on the stereo or any other ipod functionality through the stereo.

AUX2 is for the HD radio option (or another input).

SAT is to switch back to XM, if you have that service.

Also, I have XM and navi...both still fully function with this unit installed.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
just installed one today. took about an hour and an half to complete the work. i did pay the price for taking the kick panel off and lost a couple of clips from the aluminum trim. took about half an hour to locate and fish them out of the console. otherwise the isimple works GREAT!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dflo
^^Yes, but as others have said above, you have to select the AUX1 input, instead of IPOD to control it from the ipod itself. These are not factory options, but rather options given to you by the Peripheral unit.

To better explain this, you have to select a non-XM source on your radio, then push the XM button. You immediately turn the tune knob to engage the Peripheral unit. You then choose your source: IPOD, AUX1, AUX2 or SAT. You can either choose to control your ipod through your stereo/steering wheel controls (IPOD) or directly from the ipod (AUX1), but not both at the same time. I've also found when choosing AUX1, you can still cycle through songs with the stereo or steering wheel controls, but you don't have any song info. on the stereo or any other ipod functionality through the stereo.

AUX2 is for the HD radio option (or another input).

SAT is to switch back to XM, if you have that service.

Also, I have XM and navi...both still fully function with this unit installed.

Hope that helps.
See, I wouldn't think this would be the case. I've not had any time where my iPhone was connected to anything where I still couldn't retain all aspects of the phone - aside from when I'm syncing.

Can someone post a pic of what the screen looks like when in IPOD mode?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

I would try it for you, but what i'm thinking is that in aux1 mode, its just using the ipod connector to route the sound, and apparently, according to the post above, some track next/previous control.

Maybe i'm not getting what you are asking. Using an iphone, hooked to to this unit, in ipod or aux1 mode, you can still use the phone/browse the web, etc, etc. You just hit the home button while its plugged in (and playing music, for example) and do whatever you want. If you have the iphone plugged into an ipod connector (like my old alpine, this new pxamg unit, etc) usually it says on the front of the phone, connected to such and such, ok to disconnect. If you try to access your ipod songs/etc, you'll get a msg saying its being controlled by the other device, IE, the Headunit or the pxamg, etc. Is that clearer? Or did I make it worse?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 00b5
I would try it for you, but what i'm thinking is that in aux1 mode, its just using the ipod connector to route the sound, and apparently, according to the post above, some track next/previous control.

Maybe i'm not getting what you are asking. Using an iphone, hooked to to this unit, in ipod or aux1 mode, you can still use the phone/browse the web, etc, etc. You just hit the home button while its plugged in (and playing music, for example) and do whatever you want. If you have the iphone plugged into an ipod connector (like my old alpine, this new pxamg unit, etc) usually it says on the front of the phone, connected to such and such, ok to disconnect. If you try to access your ipod songs/etc, you'll get a msg saying its being controlled by the other device, IE, the Headunit or the pxamg, etc. Is that clearer? Or did I make it worse?
I've never seen the 'OK to disconnect' message on my iPhone, but I've never had it hooked up to something that could control it besides the universal dock. I think that's why I'm confused. iPod, yes. iPhone, no.

So...being hooked up to the isimple you can retain all functions of the iPhone except for the iPod portion?
Old 04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced

I've never seen the 'OK to disconnect' message on my iPhone, but I've never had it hooked up to something that could control it besides the universal dock. I think that's why I'm confused. iPod, yes. iPhone, no.

So...being hooked up to the isimple you can retain all functions of the iPhone except for the iPod portion?
Ok, I haven't installed or used an isimple yet, but i assume its about the same as the pioneer ipod adapter i have in my current car. i have a 2nd gen ipod touch hooked up and when i first plug it in, it says the accessory doesn't support charging for my ipod (which the isimple will do for 2nd gen touches and 3g iphones if you don't have the new charging cable). i can dismiss that message and still to unlock and use the rest of my ipod. the only thing is, when i hit the music icon at the bottom, the screen just says "accessory connected" and i can't change the music from it. the isimple should do the same thing if you're on the ipod input on the radio. once you change to aux1, it should unlock the ipod/iphone, but then the dock connector doesn't send out song info and all of that.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Banned

Gotcha. Thanks. I was hoping it would keep the screen active.

I think I'll hook it up via AUX1 then.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor

Noise

I've had this installed for a couple weeks now and it's great except I'm getting some interference. Some hissing/buzzing sound during more low key songs. I also get some noise when the tracks change. I'm using a 2nd gen nano. The firmware on the isimple is .25. Will updating the firmware help?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Safety Car

ross .. sounds like more of a hardware issue -- i would consider returning your particular unit and getting a replacement -- don't think firmware will resolve this....
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Instructor

ross .. sounds like more of a hardware issue -- i would consider returning your particular unit and getting a replacement -- don't think firmware will resolve this....
I won't be able to return it since I bought it at the Circuit City going out of business sale for $40. I may just have to live with it.

I only get interference when the engine is running. There is no noise when the engine is off.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Great threat guys about this device, not that much info online about it. I had mine installed few days ago and it works great. Only issue that I am having with it is the ipod being charged while the car is off.

Could someone explain to me what exactly is happening. Does the ipod turn off eventually, or stops being charged? If I leave the ipod in the car for a few days, will it drain the battery? That is the only concern I have with it so far.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
2005 WDP TL

I have a 1st gen nano that I need to upgrade....do the latest Ipods have the same charging issues as the iphone or will they work as well as my gen1 does? I am considering an 80gig classic.

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips