I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010 | 09:10 AM
Jmr

I am interested in a simple inexpensive mp3 (3.5mm) adapter connection to my 2004 acura navi factory radio. Does such a thing exist? basically just a stereo headset plug is all I want.

i will keep looking thought the website.

thanks.
Old 11-18-2010 | 09:51 PM
Advanced

Thanks to all of you who provided such great info on this thread. I just installed the iSimple in my '04 w/Navi, and everything worked fine. I tried the "bent screwdriver" method, but gave up after about 20 minutes of futility. I removed the two panels by the steering wheel, and the metal strip on the console and was able to hook up the harness pretty easily.

I ran the wires under the console and through the punch-out at the emergency brake adjustment inside the console. I have both the iPod and headphone wires running into the console, so I'm good to go for both types of devices.

Unfortunately, the iSimple isn't fully compatible with the iPad. I can listen to music using the dock connector and setting the iSimple to AUX1, but no charging, and no titles/artists. iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 all work perfectly as intended.

Thanks everyone- your tips, particularly around removing each cover and the metal strip, were huge.
Old 12-07-2010 | 08:44 PM
I like turtles

I havent had the time to read through this whole thread, but does the iSimple charge the newer ipods? The newer ones dont have the firewire pin in the charging port and its pretty annoying. Apparently you have to buy a schoshe adapter to make this work, and thats not even very reliable from what i have heard.

I would love to get the product so i can finally hook up my ipod to the car, but im not gonna spend all the money if its not going to work the way i want it to...
Old 12-16-2010 | 11:12 AM
Advanced

Installed the iSimple a couple months ago in my '05 TL with Navi. The first unit didn't work so well, wouldn't charge iPhone4 etc. I wound up returning it to Futureshop and they exchanged it for the new iSimple Gateway. Installer said they has originally only had the new units for GM, but now have them in for Acura/Honda. New unit works great also charges the iPhone4 and all iPods with no problems so far no need for any adapters. Also have AUX jack just in case I need to plug another non-ipod device in. Also way faster accessing XM1, XM2 even next track is quicker, sound quality with proper birate MP3's is just like the CD unit in-dash. Unit looks different as well see below:

New:

Old:
Old 12-16-2010 | 07:52 PM
Racer

Do you know if the old and new harness are exactly the same? I might just bite the bullet and buy a newer iSimple. I haven't been able to use mine ever since I got the iPhone 4 and I can't find the update hardware to make it work on their website. Plus I need a new cable so it will charge.
Old 12-16-2010 | 08:20 PM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by eluzion
Do you know if the old and new harness are exactly the same? I might just bite the bullet and buy a newer iSimple. I haven't been able to use mine ever since I got the iPhone 4 and I can't find the update hardware to make it work on their website. Plus I need a new cable so it will charge.
I've read that the isimple isn't compatible with the iPhone 4 yet. Although I could be wrong.
Old 12-16-2010 | 08:28 PM
Racer

It is compatible but if you have the older iSimple device, you need to buy a hardware update that installs into the main unit. Also, the older cables won't charge anything beyond the iPhone 3G.
Old 12-16-2010 | 09:01 PM
under renovations....

I have the newer one and the info that came with it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 4.
Old 12-23-2010 | 01:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eluzion
I believe the old harness is the same but I changed everything including all cables during the swap out.

Tested works on both iPhone4 and my 4th gen touch on my new iSimple.

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I have the newer one and the info that came with it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 4.
You do not have the new unit it looks like the picture above, I have & it works perfectly!
Old 12-23-2010 | 07:53 AM
under renovations....

Originally Posted by NSXCessive

You do not have the new unit it looks like the picture above, I have & it works perfectly!
Ok buddy cause you would know which one I have right!!! I have the NEW unit just like in the pic on top with the harnesses, not the OLD unit in the bottom. And I had to order the PGHDD2C harness to hook mine up in the trunk.

I had previously ordered one and when I got it it wasn't working properly and it was a newer unit as well and the paperwork that came with that one said "not compatible with the iphone 4" it said it was compatible with all ipods and the iphone 3GS. I sent that one back and got another unit which is the same model and had to get the trunk harness (nav traffic)

Last edited by CubanLynx84; 12-23-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2010 | 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

anyone have goods pics of how the i simple looks on a non navi?

i am thinking the screen is too small and text may look all cluttered and stuff
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Ok buddy cause you would know which one I have right!!! I have the NEW unit just like in the pic on top with the harnesses, not the OLD unit in the bottom. And I had to order the PGHDD2C harness to hook mine up in the trunk.

I had previously ordered one and when I got it it wasn't working properly and it was a newer unit as well and the paperwork that came with that one said "not compatible with the iphone 4" it said it was compatible with all ipods and the iphone 3GS. I sent that one back and got another unit which is the same model and had to get the trunk harness (nav traffic)
First off pardon my French but don't be a dick and be rude when someone tells you they have it working. I don't know what you have, that is why I posted that pic to show you and other people that units are visually different. If you have the new or old you could troubleshoot issues if you had the old you may need the circuit board upgrade (part number PXAMG-1C) required to run OS4 on older units. I have the latest PXAMG unit and firmware in ISIM71/ISHD571 packaging. Like I said in my previous post I returned my old exchanged for new, and right out of the box worked correctly.

Not sure why yours isn't working could be numerous reasons? You claim you have the new unit, but I assure you mine works fine with the iPhone4 OS4 & my 4th Gen iTouch OS4 + steering wheel controls, and charging functioning properly. I did not have any piece of paper saying the 'new' unit is not compatible like yours! Then again I'm in Canada eh'! Maybe then sent us newer units first, but I'm sure that doesn't matter but its possible you need the IC board upgrade, and or have another defective unit?

So you followed these new directions right? **Note Dip#2 Switch position on position, also note the pic in the background of the manual is a TL.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_031910.pdf

Main page for ishd571:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=36

How to upgrade your IC from PeripheralElectronic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uo_YNlrfW4

& http://s3.amazonaws.com/spree/produc...pdf?1281461792

Also right here on Zine:
marzxbarz has his working too: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/isimple-iphone-4-%3D-works-great-well-hfl-781123/

Drive Accord Forums:
http://www./forums/showthread.php?p=759639

Apple Forums:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=2473891

&
http://discussions.info.apple.com/me...ageID=12087073
Old 01-04-2011 | 04:05 AM
Burning Brakes

got mine installed a few days ago. I have the NEWEST isimple available at best buy. the isim71 and it is 100 percent compatible with the iphone4. this product is amazing and alot better than i expected considering I have a non navi tl. i rate this product with 5 stars. ONLY problem i have is when i receive a call the music pauses for a second but keeps playing along with the ringer so i have to disconnect to use my iphone to talk....i dont really give a shit about that tho.

I am doing a navi conversion next month so ill let u know how it is with the navi
Old 01-04-2011 | 12:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrlal8
got mine installed a few days ago. I have the NEWEST isimple available at best buy. the isim71 and it is 100 percent compatible with the iphone4. this product is amazing and alot better than i expected considering I have a non navi tl. i rate this product with 5 stars. ONLY problem i have is when i receive a call the music pauses for a second but keeps playing along with the ringer so i have to disconnect to use my iphone to talk....i dont really give a shit about that tho.

I am doing a navi conversion next month so ill let u know how it is with the navi
Excellent another confirmed working installation! My unit was from Future Shop, which same as Best Buy they own FS anyway. I agree I rate this a 5 out of 5 stars as well very good and even better they've been updating the device with firmware and even IC boards when apple decides to change their o/s and devices.

I've since dumped the iPhone 4 and now current using a Blackberry Bold 9700 + iTouch 4G, when receiving incoming calls the Navi unit switches to the HFE no problem and I don't have music playing from the iTouch still. I never noticed the iPhone playing still while receiving a call but can't rule out the problem. I will try it sometime with my brother's iPhone 4 and report back.
Old 01-10-2011 | 12:07 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

HELP! I just bought an 07 TL-S and need to add iPod interface for my 120GB iPod Classic. I checked the FAQ but all the threads most recent posts are over a year old. What's the current champ for maximum functionality controlling the iPod and displaying iPod info on the Nav screen? Within reason cost is no object. I'd rather pay $300 and have it work right than pay $50 and have it work half right. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-10-2011 | 07:09 AM
Advanced

Latest iSimple above continues to work perfectly for me on iPod classic, iPhone 4, and brand new Nano (the one that looks like a watch). Charging, steering wheel controls, artist/track info on Navi screen are all working fine. iPad is the lone exception- when using the dock connector, I can listen to it using the Aux 1 setting, but no charging or Navi display. The Aux 2 mini plug inserted into the headphone jack also works for audio only.
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:46 PM
5th Gear

I cant wait till I get my iSimple my brother works at best buy so he is going to get it for me at a reduced price i cant wait till I get it in the mail and install it so that I can get rid of the damn fm transmitter. And once i connect it to doms unit ps3 goin into my 05 tl. Any one have the iSimple and Doms unit, how does it work together and how much better has it made your life?
Old 01-13-2011 | 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Just installed my iSimple for my 2004 TL today that looks just like this (none of these are my actual pictures, but still the exact way I did things):

Ran it just like below:

Ran the iPod connection for my iPhone4 here:

I used these videos to help assist the removal of my dash pieces:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/f-051-diy-video-how-remove-center-console-lower-dash-glove-box-733555/

I used this to also see how to take the dash apart:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/comptech-short-shifter-install-pics-3g-garage-086-a-590326/

I ran my auxiliary cable in the below location so I needed to take some stuff apart:

Now I'm going to install the BlackBerry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway so any bluetooth device can sinc up to my auxilary 2 port and play wirelessly

Old 01-13-2011 | 08:50 PM
under renovations....

Ok here is where you say what I have^^
without actually knowing what I have at all mind you.

First off pardon my French but don't be a dick and be rude when someone tells you they have it working. I don't know what you have, that is why I posted that pic to show you and other people that units are visually different. If you have the new or old you could troubleshoot issues if you had the old you may need the circuit board upgrade (part number PXAMG-1C) required to run OS4 on older units. I have the latest PXAMG unit and firmware in ISIM71/ISHD571 packaging. Like I said in my previous post I returned my old exchanged for new, and right out of the box worked correctly.
I wasn't being a dick about it at all or rude for that matter But in this post you now state "you don't know what I have" when before that you clearly tell me what I do have, correct? Anyway If I did seem to come off like that then I apologize but the reaction was based on your reply oh and I accept your apology as well. So now that that's clear, my issue was that I needed the PGHDD2 when I was under the impression I could use the PGHDD1 harness for behind the radio. Being that I have Navi and it is equipped with navtraffic(regardless whether you actually use it) it needed to be hooked up in the trunk directly to the XM unit there. As well as flipping the #2 Dip Switch on so it could read on the screen. I only replied to the people not being able to use the Iphone4 with it because there are other threads with people complaining that it doesn't work well with it. Secondly when I got the first unit thinking there was something wrong with it. It did say it wasn't compatible with the Iphone4. And that when was the new unit as well. When I got another unit again this time it did not say it on the paperwork.
Old 01-18-2011 | 04:25 PM
Advanced

hey guys, recently i have replaced my old unit for a newer isimple unit. updated firmware, worked perfectly fine for a month or so. one day left my ipod connected next morning i notice when i turn on car and change to ipod it doesnt show up information by the clock like it usually does. it still shows in the navi part. but has anyone else got this issue?
Old 01-18-2011 | 08:42 PM
Racer

How does the iSimple compare with the USA SPEC models as far as ease of use and sound quality???
Old 01-19-2011 | 02:06 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by skyfox23
How does the iSimple compare with the USA SPEC models as far as ease of use and sound quality???
iSimple could not be more "simple." The use of the factory buttons for iPod navigation is very easy. It responds very fast and the use of the steering wheel navigation is great too.

Sound quality is excellent.
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:36 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

I'm having an issue. I got the old pxamg with serial no. Px0608.36 and the PGHHD1 hardness and for some reason its completely eliminating my xm radio. I hooked it up to the back of the radio since a have an 05 w/ navigation. Anyone know why its doing this? I tried re-setting it but no luck, I double checked everything, and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Help please, I'm ready to toss this thing out the window. Lol
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:15 PM
Burning Brakes

my i simple was working perfectly fine....but i just got my navi conversion done today and the i simple no longer works. the iphone still charges but when i hit xm only the preview xm stations show up the ones with all advertising on it

anyone know whats wrong? I am about to take it back to best buy to see if they can fix it
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:25 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

When my isimple is connected and I try and use XM...my radio totally starts ignoring anything I do to it. I got XM for 5 months for cheap and I ended up disconnecting the isimple...it's still in there, just not plugged in. Works for me.

Unfortunately, anyone find a fix, would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO...I found that piggybacking the XM and the isimple made the sound output of BOTH very low in comparison to the radio or CD's. Unplugging it brought the sound back.
Old 02-02-2011 | 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

nvm i figured it out
for those having the same problem that i did....
after doing the navi conversion the i simple because "time sensitive"
you have to hit the am/fm button to get outta the xm then hit xm again...as soon as it says SAT just rotate the right knob once and sort through aux 1 ..aux 2 and then finally youll see it say ipod
Old 02-06-2011 | 02:34 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Originally Posted by acura_dipset_tl
I'm having an issue. I got the old pxamg with serial no. Px0608.36 and the PGHHD1 hardness and for some reason its completely eliminating my xm radio. I hooked it up to the back of the radio since a have an 05 w/ navigation. Anyone know why its doing this? I tried re-setting it but no luck, I double checked everything, and still nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Help please, I'm ready to toss this thing out the window. Lol
Found the fix to my problem, seem like you have to plug up the ipod/rca adapter first to the pxamg before you hook it up to the PGHHD1 hardness. If not the Pxamg will not "recognize" the ipod/rca cable.

Here's the video were i got the info from.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13nMqK3ZPCI
Old 02-06-2011 | 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

I bought my isimple off eBay brand new for 115 and got it installed at Best Buy. I could not be happier, it works flawlessly. Also I am able to switch songs instantly from my steering wheel I do not have to hold down the button for 1-3 seconds as previously mentioned
Old 04-04-2011 | 08:42 PM
Racer

I just installed the isimple using the method without removing the panels and it seems to be working. I also have the HDRT and realized that I have to get the antenna hookup from back there also. Has anyone been able to do that without removing the panels? Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2011 | 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Interesting I installed the Isimple the other day and for some reason it only reads Aux 2 when I plugged it into Aux 1. So when I plug the Ipod cable into Aux 2 it works fine but for some reason I cannot switch it over to Aux 1. I might have to see if disconnecting the module and putting it in Aux 1 works. Still that baffles me why it would default to aux 2 when it was in aux 1.
Old 04-05-2011 | 10:04 PM
Racer

For those of you that have been having problems with the isimple: Where do you have it mounted? I'm thinking about putting it in the panel above the drivers knees but I'm worried that the unit might get too hot. Do you think that could be causing problems?
Old 04-05-2011 | 10:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have it tucked inside the panel next to the center console. No issues so far.
Old 05-11-2011 | 01:14 PM
Advanced

Hi all; I have an update after nearly 6 months with iSimple in my 3G TL. The AUX 2 cable has started to fail. I mainly use it when I want to stream audio on my 3G iPad, and I have to jiggle the wire near the headphone jack in order to get it working right. One bump on the highway, and it usually fails again. I'm hoping the manufacturer will either replace or sell me a new AUX 2 cable, and I'll let you know how I fare.

Also, I'm encountering some quirkiness in other ways occasionally. Yesterday, when I switched to iSimple mode on my head unit, it wouldn't recognize XM- I could only switch between AUX 1, AUX 2, and iPod. I'll also occasionally have situations where the head unit seems to be searching endlessly for the iSimple, with no functionality in the meantime. In either case, if I turn off the car, and start it up again, the device seems to work fine. Probably something in the iSimple unit that needs to be rebooted.

Nonetheless, despite the minor headaches, the device works great once it gets started, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Getting XM, my iPod, and song titles on the Navi is a treat- whether or not the AUX 2 cable is working.
Old 05-14-2011 | 01:15 PM
Racer

I just finished installing my isimple, but how do I get the song title to display? All it shows is Aux1
Old 05-14-2011 | 01:40 PM
Racer

Also, how can I run the cable under the center console and up through the arm rest? I've tried using a coat hanger for the last 20 minutes to no avail
Old 05-14-2011 | 09:38 PM
Hello... Good AM!

I put the gateway behind the panel by the drivers right knee. This seems to be the best place to put it as it is somewhat easy to get to in case later down the road you need to update the hardware. My wiring is also routed under the panels by the carpet. This way you don't need to drill anything. I have all the excess wire neatly zip tied and placed next to the seat belt so that I don't have a 11' cord going throughout the car.
Old 05-14-2011 | 11:08 PM
Advanced

Customx,
You need to select IPod, not aux 1 to get titles. Aux1 just snds your ipod sound w/o displaying info.

If you lift up the rubber mat in your console and pry up the cover undereath, you'll see a couple of screws. Loosen them, and the center console will loosen enough for you to pass the wire through the screw area. You can then drill a small hole in the side of the plastic cover to make room for the aux and IPod cables.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2011 | 01:27 PM
Instructor

Tried searching to no avail--
If someone has BOTH the iSimple and the RF 3Sixty--
does the 'remote programmable master volume/aux volume' feature on the 3Sixty help to compensate for the 'lower volume' characteristic of the iSimple (as compared to CD volume)?
Old 06-09-2011 | 03:51 PM
Advanced

Another update- I called the folks at iSimple and they replaced the AUX 2 cable without any quibbling at all. This kind of customer service is great to see. The new cable is working perfectly and this device continues to be a well-running component in my '04 TL.

Originally Posted by PaulM9999
Hi all; I have an update after nearly 6 months with iSimple in my 3G TL. The AUX 2 cable has started to fail. I mainly use it when I want to stream audio on my 3G iPad, and I have to jiggle the wire near the headphone jack in order to get it working right. One bump on the highway, and it usually fails again. I'm hoping the manufacturer will either replace or sell me a new AUX 2 cable, and I'll let you know how I fare.
Old 08-22-2011 | 09:38 PM
Instructor

I have the old version of the isimple and it specifically says its not compatible with the Iphone 3G. I'm planning to buy the iphone 4 now. Anyone know or can provide a link where I can buy the necessary cable(s) play and charge the iphone 4? Thanks

Quick Reply: I-058:Just installed Peripheral Electronics (iSimple)IPOD adapter:review/install tips