How many channels of an aftermarket poweramp do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many channels of an aftermarket poweramp do I need?

Okay have an 04 TL with non-nav. This morning I took out stock front door speakers and stock rear speakers and replaced with Image Dynamics 6.5's. Now I want to get a aftermarket power amp. How many channels do I need? I don't use surround sound 5.1 dvd audio. I want this to power the tweeters, the 4 full range Image Dynamic speakers I bought and the stock sub(thinking about upgrading that too). If I leave the stock 2 ohm sub and the rest of the speakers are 4 ohm is that a problem? What about the tweeters...are they wired in parallel with the front door speakers and altering the ohm load?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

It all depends on what you are trying to do...I have 10 channels powering 6 front stage speakers and two subs in the trunk.

Where do you plan on putting the amp(s)? What kind of equipment are you looking at? What is your ultimate goal - loud, good sq, or both? What kind of eq processing are you planning on using? The stock HU works well with the right processing...

Maybe this is way over the top...you could just slap a 4 channel amp in there and run everything passive
Old 06-08-2008, 06:27 AM
8th Gear

Basically I listen to pop/rock/country. I like a nice clear and punchy sound with enough volume...nothing competition style. I never fade front to back or side to side.

So how many channels?

Are Image Dynamics decent speakers? Never heard of them until I went to audio store.

Also, nobody answered my tweeter/ohm question above...anybody? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You will need a 4 channel amp for the speakers. If you decide to replace the sub you will need an amp for this too. The tweeters are 4ohm 15w with a high pass filter attached and are wired in parallel.

You will also need a 4 channel Line out converter (LOC) to take the signal after the stock amp and send it to the new amp.

The sub can run off the stock amp until you change out the sub. You will need a single channel LOC if you change the stock sub/amp.

Image Dynamics makes some very good subs, not too sure about their components.

Hope that answers you questions.