How to get to sub in 08 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get to sub in 08 TL?

I have a kicker and want to put it in but dont know how to get to the sub in the trunk and dont knwo where the amp is...if someone can show pics or try to explain that would be great....
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Amp is behind passenger kick panel. Run power wire through OE grommet in firewall, down driver side along with add-a-fuse tapped in to #32 for the remote turn-on, run with power wire.

Use LOC on passenger side, or solder RCA terminals, run wire/RCA along passenger side.

Connect everything in trunk, enjoy bass. Don't forget the deadener.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Amp is behind passenger kick panel. Run power wire through OE grommet in firewall, down driver side along with add-a-fuse tapped in to #32 for the remote turn-on, run with power wire.

Use LOC on passenger side, or solder RCA terminals, run wire/RCA along passenger side.

Connect everything in trunk, enjoy bass. Don't forget the deadener.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Intermediate

Deathmetal, does the amp powers up the cars speakers too, or just the sub, i am a noob when it come to audio, I want to keep the speakers stock, just remove the stock sub and add a 10" in the trunk. What is the best/economical way to get that. Thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 05:23 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by TL-S Driver
Deathmetal, does the amp powers up the cars speakers too, or just the sub, i am a noob when it come to audio, I want to keep the speakers stock, just remove the stock sub and add a 10" in the trunk. What is the best/economical way to get that. Thanks
By doing what I said posted above. Amp powers all, so all you need to deal with is the sub wires.

Best/economical are mutually exclusive when it comes to car audio.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

(LOC on passenger side) What is this?lol
Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
rcp
Advanced

line output converter. ^ check my posts that i've posted in. i explained once to a member on here.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by rcp
line output converter. ^ check my posts that i've posted in. i explained once to a member on here.
That's a pretty dick response, take 2 seconds and just explain it, man.

A line output converter takes the signal from the headunit and drops it down to a usable level going in to the amplifier.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Thanks DeathMetal, I didnt mean to say cheap, just dont need to build a crazy system.
" Run power wire through OE grommet in firewall, down driver side along with add-a-fuse tapped in to #32 for the remote turn-on, run with power wire.Use LOC on passenger side, or solder RCA terminals, run wire/RCA along passenger side." So what i can do is disconnect the LOC(audio signal???) from the stock amp and run that to the new amp along the remote wire from the fuse 32 and the power cable from the battery. And remove the stock sub. Thanks alot for explaining this.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

DeathMetal can I do a simliar install but without using the RCA's? I have a powered sub (tube) and would like it to be controlled the sub volume on my head unit. I don't necessarily need to disconnect the stock sub, because I was under the impression I can connect the tube to the stock sub. This way I only have to run a power wire to the battery and the remote to the fuse. Sorry I am also a noob.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Intermediate

Just bumpuing the thread, DeathMetal we need your expertise. Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

More specifically my powered sub has four high level inputs and two rca's. I would like to connect the high level inputs on the powered sub to the stock sub speaker wire:

A) Can I connect the two L + R positives and the two L + R negatives of the powered subwoofer high level inputs to the stock pos and neg wire? What is the benefit or drawback?

B) Do I have to connect the two left and 2 right high level inputs to the corresponding left and right rear stock speakers?

Someone menioned if I did option A it would be taking a stereo signal and making it mono causing it to lose a lot of performance. Isn't a sub meant to be mono? I would think option A would make the most sense because the signal is already set for a sub, and the user would then have a volume control of the powered sub on the headunit.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 AM
rcp
Advanced

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
That's a pretty dick response, take 2 seconds and just explain it, man.

A line output converter takes the signal from the headunit and drops it down to a usable level going in to the amplifier.
well i was at work so i couldn't really type up everything besides. it doesn't hurt to do a quick search.