How difficult to get 8's in the doors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult to get 8's in the doors?

Going to be doing an install for a friend once I get back to NY

We're looking at putting an 8 in the door & a 3" wide bander in the pillars.

Can we get an 8 in the door with minimal cutting? Looking at the Beyma 8G40, Faital 8FE200, Or the B&C 8NDL51.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So no one here has put 8's in the doors?
Old 06-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Easy enough, IHC has 9's
Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Credit goes to Kirk for giving me the motivation and how to. You know me from DIYMA.

To fit the Dyn 182 which as we know is called a 10" but has 235cm^2 cone area making it a 9" in cone area. It's only 3" deep with the magnet inside of the 4" vc making the profile a little closer to a typical neo motor midbass than a traditional one.

It was almost as simple as cutting the hole bigger. The sheet metal isn't flat so I used a 1.5" thick mdf ring and screwed it to the opening, bringing the sheet metal pretty much flat and making a good mounting surface.

Cutting the hole that large resulted into it combining with the smaller hole above it. I used cheap sheet metal brackets to create a mounting surface for the speaker in that area where there was no metal. I'm sure thin pressboard or something similar would work just as well.

I flush mounted the drivers to the door with only damping mat between the driver and door metal, no mdf spacer. Because of this I had to space the window track out about 3/8" by inserting washers between it and the door frame. No change in window up/down performance. Without the spacers, the window would still go fully down but it would bump on the magnet once it was about 3" from fully down.

I flush mounted the drivers because I wanted to keep the door panels stock. All I had to modify was trimming the backside a bit along the seams that were a little too close to the speaker. Otherwise the panels are stock with some grinding on the backside.

It was a very easy job and at the same output the 9s rattled the doors less than the 6.5s. Obviously they have the potential to rattle the doors considerably more.

Things I would change if I had the time/money/know how: I would bring the driver closer to the grill on the door card. I would angle them to be a little more on axis but that's only because I like to run them up to 800hz sometimes. I would have put them in the kicks.

I hate compromises but I have not found a way to come remotely close to getting rid of vibrations in the doors. I should have done kicks vented to the outside world so they would only have to be large enough to house the drivers and moved the 3.5s to the upper door/sail panels.

There are pictures on here of mine with the door panels off. I can't search from my phone though.

I know this was kind of vague, let me know if I can help. Are you doing a pro-audio style midbass?

Never mind, just saw you speaker options. I always enjoy reading your pro audio oriented selections. Going to look at those drivers now.

Last edited by I hate cars; 06-25-2015 at 10:15 PM.