HFL Voice Dialing Bug

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL Voice Dialing Bug

Came across a weird issue with HFL the other day. I went to try and call someone from my phonebook by saying their name (I had previously recorded it in the HFL), and of course the HFL got it wrong and said: *80.

What was weird is that from reading the manual it says that if you want to dial a contact you say "<contact name>". However, if you would like to dial a number you say: "Call <number>"

So my question is, how could it come up with *80 unless I had that in my contacts? The manual instructions seem to make sense from the standpoint that it limits the chance of misinterpretation by the HFL because it differentiates wanting to call a number versus a contact.

Has anyone experienced this? I will reference the exact manual page and words when I get home.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
*80 was what it *thought* you said. It may help to re-name the contact if this is an ongoing problem.

I had a number stored as "Home Phone". When I would say "Call Home Phone" or "Call" .... wait for response .... "Home Phone", about 9 out of 10 times it would say, "Do you want to call 000?"

"NO!!"

It would do that over and over - pissed me off to no end.

"Do you want to call 000?"

NO!! G'Dammit!!! "HOME F'N PHONE" YOU IGNORANT PEICE OF CRAP!!! WHY THE F*(& WOULD I CALL 000?!?!?!

So I finally changed the name tag from "Home Phone" to "Coconut" (our dog's name) and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Pro

What year is your car onyx1121? If you have an 04 this thread might be helpful. https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/please-stop-madness-142266/ A lot of people have problems with the early model 04 HFL systems not understanding them. You say the number and the HFL would say things like *80 or *808 or *000, it happened all the time. Acura came out with a TSB for a free upgrade because of the problem. Hopefully you have an 04. Here is the TSB: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/b05-020.pdf
Old 01-25-2008, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Oops, sorry, it is a 2007, so I believe it *should* work.

@Bearcat: I understand what you mean, but the point is the manual makes the distinct point that saying "Call" indicates you wish to dial a number whereas just saying a name you programmed in to the HFL should prompt it to search those entries for the closest match.

Antoher thing, I get problems where it says names are too close and I need to pick another. Names like "Steph" and "AJ" and "Dad". I don't know, but this seems screwed up to me.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
^^

At first I did not see the subtle distinction in your post and I understand what you're saying. I a want to try the <contactname> only method. I always do "Call <contactname>.

But, the manual also says that the fog lights are 9006. They are not. They are H8.

Point is, there is a lot of infomation in those books and they are not always 100% accurate.

Maybe Acura changed the logic and it didn't make the manual. Maybe the logic is "If in 'number mode' and no number exists check the 'name directory' " and vise-versa. Maybe it's from another version (RL/MDX, etc) version of the HFL.

If simply changing a couple Name/Number tags fixes the problem, I just don't see that it's worth worrying about.

BTW - now that "coconut" works the home land line, the GD dog NEVER answers the frigging phone.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced

Okay, well I will look in to it more this weekend and see what comes of it
Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by onyx1121
....but the point is the manual makes the distinct point that saying "Call" indicates you wish to dial a number whereas just saying a name you programmed in to the HFL should prompt it to search those entries for the closest match.

Antoher thing, I get problems where it says names are too close and I need to pick another. Names like "Steph" and "AJ" and "Dad". I don't know, but this seems screwed up to me.
Voice recognition is good, but not perfect.

Sometimes the HFL will translate an indistinct word into some characters/numbers. Like Bearcat94, I originally recorded "home," but the HFL kept wanting to dial 911 (I think I entered it as "Help") or "0." I then changed "Home" to "House" and have not had a problem since.

The recognition of numbers read at normal or quick speed is pretty good, though, when I'm dialing someone not in my phone books, but HFL does not respond well to numbers enunciated slowly!
Old 01-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Right, that is why I was under the impression that the manual made the distinction of using the words "Call" and "Dial" to indicate you wanted to say a number, versus just saying a name. That way it should never think you are saying a number when the words "Call" or "Dial" don't precede your words.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
3rd Gear

voice recognition

I'm brand new to Acurazine today. I have a 2008 TL Navi and have experienced many similar problems to the notes posted here! Yes, I have wanted to swear many times!
On a similar matter, does anyone know if you can adjust the microphone sensitivity/volume? A lot of people complain that they can't hear me, or are getting too much background noise...even when I'm not moving.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Advanced

I found things were much improved when I started over (cleared the HFL) and put names in using a normal and clear voice. I said names just like I would say them to anyone else (i.e. don't annunciate - just speak normally). I also found using full names works better. For example, instead of "Chris" I say "Christopher". Even when I want to dial that person, I usually can say "Chris" and it works fine.

HOWEVER - I think it is sad that the engineers couldn't figure out that using the word "Call" vs. "Dial" to differentiate names versus numbers would be the way to go.

But then again...they design cars...so I shouldn't expect too much from them.