HFL - adding and deleting address book

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL - adding and deleting address book

ok, got my blackberry synced up w/ the HFL, so that's good to go..however I have a quick question. 1- how do I delete all address book voice entries from the previous owner? all I can see to do is delete 1 entry at a time, which is a pita...2- is there a way to add my contact/address list from my phone, rather than manually adding the address entries one at a time via the HFL and the button on the steering wheel? Thanks.

-asmcbrid
Old 11-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
As to question 2, no, you cannot do that. Part of the reason is that the HFL has to recognize your voice. Unlike the Navi, which doesn't have to be "trained," so to speak, the HFL does as to the names in your phonebook. Part of the reason has to do with the possibility that if it used a text-to-speech system, it may not recognize how someone's name is pronounced. For example, to use a well-known name that's often mispronouncd, if Duke's basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, were in your phonebook, the odds are that the system would have no clue how "Krzyzewski" is pronounced (it's "sha-SHEF-ski," FWIW). Another point of note is that if you have your contacts' full names in your phonebook and the HFL could import them intelligibly, it would likely expect you to dial them using their full names, but most of us don't set up our HFLs that way (to use the same example, everyone calls him "Coach K"; to give another example, I have my wife listed in my phone with her first and last names, but in the HFL I do not). A third reason you cannot import your phonebook is that many phones let you list multiple numbers for the same person and then just pick the one you want (example, if I had Coach K in my phone, and I voicedialed my phone by saying "Call Coach K," the phone would ask which phone number to use), but the HFL doesn't do that—if you want multiple numbers for the same person, you have to create separate entries, e.g., "Coach K Office," "Coach K cell," etc.

As to question 1, page 162 of the owner's manual for the 2004 TL lists the following process:

(1) Press and release the HFL's "Talk" button (the one you press to give it a command).

(2) Say "System."

(3) HFL responds, "System options are setup and clear."

(4) Press the "Talk" button and say "Clear."

(5) HFL responds, "This process will clear all paired phones, clear all entries in the phonebook, and clear the passcode. Is this what you would like to do?"

(6) Press the "Talk" button and say "Yes."

(7) HFL responds, "Preparing to clear all paired phones, all phonebook entries, and the passcode. This may take up to two minutes to complete."

(8) Press the "Talk" button and say "OK" (or, if you change your mind, say "Go Back" or "Cancel").

(9) If you say "OK," you'll wait a bit and then the HFL will say, "The system has been cleared. Returning to the main menu."

Note that this will also delete the pairing for the Blackberry device you paired to the system. You'll have to re-pair it. But the owner's manual does not list a method for simply clearing the phonebook, so in my view it's easier just to clear everything and re-pair the phone than it is to go through entry by entry deleting everything.
The following users liked this post:
Greengecko (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe no one has said thanks yet, so....thanks! People rarely write such clear detailed instructions. Worked like a charm.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Or:

Pressing talk button before each voice command, use the following: "System," "Clear," "Yes," "OK."
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
2004 TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dannyz
Pressing talk button before each voice command, use the following: "System," "Clear," "Yes," "OK."
How is that any different or what does it add to the detailed instructions already provided above by 1995hoo?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:33 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Greengecko
How is that any different or what does it add to the detailed instructions already provided above by 1995hoo?
It provides the same instructions with 479 fewer words?...
Old 04-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Why is being thorough a problem? I know when I receive directions, I like seeing some level of detail because it provides a way to confirm that I'm going through the steps correctly.

This isn't a chat room or Twitter feed where it's essential to keep things as short as possible.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo
As to question 2, no, you cannot do that. Part of the reason is that the HFL has to recognize your voice. Unlike the Navi, which doesn't have to be "trained," so to speak, the HFL does as to the names in your phonebook. Part of the reason has to do with the possibility that if it used a text-to-speech system, it may not recognize how someone's name is pronounced. For example, to use a well-known name that's often mispronouncd, if Duke's basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, were in your phonebook, the odds are that the system would have no clue how "Krzyzewski" is pronounced (it's "sha-SHEF-ski," FWIW). Another point of note is that if you have your contacts' full names in your phonebook and the HFL could import them intelligibly, it would likely expect you to dial them using their full names, but most of us don't set up our HFLs that way (to use the same example, everyone calls him "Coach K"; to give another example, I have my wife listed in my phone with her first and last names, but in the HFL I do not). A third reason you cannot import your phonebook is that many phones let you list multiple numbers for the same person and then just pick the one you want (example, if I had Coach K in my phone, and I voicedialed my phone by saying "Call Coach K," the phone would ask which phone number to use), but the HFL doesn't do that—if you want multiple numbers for the same person, you have to create separate entries, e.g., "Coach K Office," "Coach K cell," etc.

As to question 1, page 162 of the owner's manual for the 2004 TL lists the following process:

(1) Press and release the HFL's "Talk" button (the one you press to give it a command).

(2) Say "System."

(3) HFL responds, "System options are setup and clear."

(4) Press the "Talk" button and say "Clear."

(5) HFL responds, "This process will clear all paired phones, clear all entries in the phonebook, and clear the passcode. Is this what you would like to do?"

(6) Press the "Talk" button and say "Yes."

(7) HFL responds, "Preparing to clear all paired phones, all phonebook entries, and the passcode. This may take up to two minutes to complete."

(8) Press the "Talk" button and say "OK" (or, if you change your mind, say "Go Back" or "Cancel").

(9) If you say "OK," you'll wait a bit and then the HFL will say, "The system has been cleared. Returning to the main menu."

Note that this will also delete the pairing for the Blackberry device you paired to the system. You'll have to re-pair it. But the owner's manual does not list a method for simply clearing the phonebook, so in my view it's easier just to clear everything and re-pair the phone than it is to go through entry by entry deleting everything.
did you know how to do it in a Acura TSX 2009, please nees help, thanks