Help: Polarity of Radio Knob LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Help: Polarity of Radio Knob LEDs

As the title states, I'm looking for insight regarding the polarity of the four SMD LED bulbs located around the VOL and TUNE knobs of the radio.

I"m in the process of completing the LED swap and haven't seen anyone who's specified the polarity of these. I already know/have documentation about the polarity of all other bulbs for the radio board. However, it seems that most people keep the knob LEDs unmodified. However, I want these to also match the other blue LEDs I've used in my car, so I will be swapping them out as well. In the below picture, I"m referring to the four square white LEDs outlined with red circles.

Any help would be awesome, especially from some of you guys, who've completed this modification in years past: dwb993 Esper.ice DeathMetal maddsiick NC916

Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts
I've never done the mod, nor even pulled that board... but have you tried using a multimeter to see if either side has continuity with either side of the ones that you do know the polarity of? It wouldn't be surprising if one side of the LED is GND, and one side of the bulbs is GND... in which case you'd see continuity with the multimeter, and know that it's the negative side of the SMD LED.

Pat
Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

That's a good suggestion. I'll have to try that after work.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

In case anyone is wondering, the polarity of the radio knobs is as follows: