Help me connect my v710 to a TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me connect my v710 to a TL

I've bought my v710 about a week ago and have been trying to connect it to my Navi TL and even though I've read through the instructions I just havn't been able to connect the two. I'm about to burst cause i'm not that illiterate with technology but I think i'm just doing something wrong.
Please Help....Just give me a short concise list of what to do to both the TL and the V710 to get them to recognize each other.....

Thanx,
George
Old 08-26-2004, 12:16 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
KG - It's not too difficult.
  1. Have your TL stopped with the ignition in the Accesory Mode - you can't pair the TL while the car is moving.
  2. On your V710:
    • Menu
    • 7 (Settings)
    • * (Connection)
    • 1 (Bluetooth Link)
    • Setup ... Now wait before pressing "Find Me", which will occur below.
  3. On the Acura HFL:
    • Press the HFL Command Button (HFL Com)
    • Say, "Phone Setup"
    • Press HFL Com
    • Say, "Pair"
    • You will now get prompted for a 4-digit code by the HFL system.
    • Press HFL Com, and say your 4-digit code.
    • Now, it's time to wait again (Don't confirm your code yet ...)
  4. On your V710:
    • Select "Find Me" on the phone. The V710 will now be visible for 60 seconds.
  5. On the Acura HFL:
    • Press HFL Com and say, "Yes" to confirm your code.
  6. On your V710:
    • You should now be prompted for the 4-digit code that you just spoke to the Acura HFL. Enter the same code on the V710, and press "OK".
You should now be properly "paired" with the Acura TL and your V710.

Good Luck!

Note: If this still fails, let us know where the problem occured at. We'll get you going ... I promise!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Glernson

I have a quick question. I just paired the phone with the HFL today. It seems that whenever I am in the car and the bluetooth is synched, the front display on my phone stays lit. Is this the case for everybody. I am thinking that this is going to shorten battery life considerably. ( if not on charger)

Thanks...great phone,great car
Old 08-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glennson
I have a quick question. I just paired the phone with the HFL today. It seems that whenever I am in the car and the bluetooth is synched, the front display on my phone stays lit. Is this the case for everybody. I am thinking that this is going to shorten battery life considerably. ( if not on charger)

I don't think the display is on all the time. It may be on when you first connect up to the HFL (start the car), or when you are dialing a phone number. I think that the display will black out after a while.

I'll try to remember to check again, but I think that I was concerned about this myself before, and I'm not worried now.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

I just got my V710 and used the instructions in the thread to connect to my TL. Everything goes as described until the end. The V710 never gets recognized by the TL and I never get the prompt to enter the code into the V710. Any suggestions???
Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
fro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kinggeorge
I've bought my v710 about a week ago and have been trying to connect it to my Navi TL and even though I've read through the instructions I just havn't been able to connect the two. I'm about to burst cause i'm not that illiterate with technology but I think i'm just doing something wrong.
Please Help....Just give me a short concise list of what to do to both the TL and the V710 to get them to recognize each other.....

Thanx,
George
KG,

GotJazz made one little mistake (which lots of TL owners can do easily because the TL prompting is actually wrong)

DON'T:
Menu
7 (Settings)
* (Connection)
1 (Bluetooth Link)
Setup ... Now wait before pressing "Find Me", which will occur below.

DO:
Menu
7 (Settings)
* (Connection)
1 (Bluetooth Link)
Handsfree ... Now wait before pressing [Look for Devices], which will occur below.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by glennson

The phone will stay lit for whatever time period you've specified it to remain lit in the Menu>Settings>Initial Setup profile.

When the phone is placed in the TL and the engine is started, the display lights just as if you'd opened the phone. Then it'll go dark and remain paired.

BJ
Old 09-06-2004, 10:53 AM
fro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by boltjames
The phone will stay lit for whatever time period you've specified it to remain lit in the Menu>Settings>Initial Setup profile.

When the phone is placed in the TL and the engine is started, the display lights just as if you'd opened the phone. Then it'll go dark and remain paired.

BJ
Agreed. I've used my V710 with the headset I carry around when away from the car. Seems to drain the battery about 20% faster than if you do Bluetooth power-off. So it does reduce battery life, but I wouldn't say it's considerable. If you're unable/unwilling to charge every couple of days, then shut Bluetooth power off when not using it. For me, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Originally Posted by fro
Agreed. I've used my V710 with the headset I carry around when away from the car. Seems to drain the battery about 20% faster than if you do Bluetooth power-off. So it does reduce battery life, but I wouldn't say it's considerable. If you're unable/unwilling to charge every couple of days, then shut Bluetooth power off when not using it. For me, it's not that big of a deal.
I assigned a simple shortcut to the Bluetooth power option, so I'm only two button presses away from the on/off switch.

The TL's upper/lower armrest with power port and passthru is the perfect location for one of these too:

Costs under $20 and that blue "M" logo lights up a bright green when plugged in, creating a nice nightlight effect in the lower armrest

BJ
Old 09-06-2004, 11:13 PM
gwp
8th Gear

Originally Posted by fro
KG,

GotJazz made one little mistake (which lots of TL owners can do easily because the TL prompting is actually wrong)

DON'T:
Menu
7 (Settings)
* (Connection)
1 (Bluetooth Link)
Setup ... Now wait before pressing "Find Me", which will occur below.

DO:
Menu
7 (Settings)
* (Connection)
1 (Bluetooth Link)
Handsfree ... Now wait before pressing [Look for Devices], which will occur below.
Just got my V710 and followed the thread directions with the revision. The phone pairs with the TL but I never get asked for the code (by the phone). The phone is not automatically recognized by the TL the next time I use the car. I have to do a new handsfree search every time I get in the car. Any ideas?
Old 09-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boltjames
I assigned a simple shortcut to the Bluetooth power option, so I'm only two button presses away from the on/off switch.

The TL's upper/lower armrest with power port and passthru is the perfect location for one of these too:

Costs under $20 and that blue "M" logo lights up a bright green when plugged in, creating a nice nightlight effect in the lower armrest

BJ
How did you make your shortcut, I am still learning this phone and the damn car too .

I bought one of those chargers off of ebay, but since the holiday, I would have to wait for shipping.. I just spent over $100 on accessories at the verizon store yesterday .. extended battery / case / car charger / two ear jabra headset things.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 AM
fro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gwp
Just got my V710 and followed the thread directions with the revision. The phone pairs with the TL but I never get asked for the code (by the phone). The phone is not automatically recognized by the TL the next time I use the car. I have to do a new handsfree search every time I get in the car. Any ideas?
gwp,

In order to get the BT connection set up, you must have had to enter the PIN code. After doing Look for Devices, the HandsFreeLink should show up in the Scan Results list. Then, you press the Select key (right softkey) and after a few seconds, you will be prompted for the PIN code.

To answer your second question, you do not need to do handsfree search every time. The HFL should go out and try to connect with the V710 when you turn on the ignition.

You can also force the 710 to connect with the HFL by selecting it from the Handsfree menu....of course this assumes you've successfully paired the V710 and HFL at some point in the past and haven't deleted the V710 from the HFL's device history or vice versa.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:20 AM
fro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by someone
How did you make your shortcut, I am still learning this phone and the damn car too .

I bought one of those chargers off of ebay, but since the holiday, I would have to wait for shipping.. I just spent over $100 on accessories at the verizon store yesterday .. extended battery / case / car charger / two ear jabra headset things.
There are a couple of ways to save yourself some keystrokes....you'll have to figure out which one you prefer.

Creating a shortcut
1. Navigate to the item that you want to make a shortcut for (e.g. menu>Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Handsfree)
2. Press and hold the menu key for a few seconds.
3. You'll get a prompt that allows you to name the shortcut & key it's associated with. Make whatever changes you want, or accept what's been filled in for you already.
4. You'll then get a brief window stating 'Shortcut assigned: "OK" + "3"' or something to that effect.
5. Now you're done & can simply press "OK" followed by the number of your shortcut to get there.

Use "Home Keys"
Since I use Bluetooth a lot, I defined one of my home keys to take ne to the Bluetooth Link menu. 1. To re-define one or more home keys, do menu>Settings>Personalize>Home Screen>Home Keys.
2. Pick a key (up, down etc.) to change and hit the "Change" softkey.
3. Pick a new function to assign to that key from the list.

You're good to go!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fro
There are a couple of ways to save yourself some keystrokes....you'll have to figure out which one you prefer.

Creating a shortcut
1. Navigate to the item that you want to make a shortcut for (e.g. menu>Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Handsfree)
2. Press and hold the menu key for a few seconds.
3. You'll get a prompt that allows you to name the shortcut & key it's associated with. Make whatever changes you want, or accept what's been filled in for you already.
4. You'll then get a brief window stating 'Shortcut assigned: "OK" + "3"' or something to that effect.
5. Now you're done & can simply press "OK" followed by the number of your shortcut to get there.

Use "Home Keys"
Since I use Bluetooth a lot, I defined one of my home keys to take ne to the Bluetooth Link menu. 1. To re-define one or more home keys, do menu>Settings>Personalize>Home Screen>Home Keys.
2. Pick a key (up, down etc.) to change and hit the "Change" softkey.
3. Pick a new function to assign to that key from the list.

You're good to go!

Awesome, I set it for #1 and couldnt figure out how to hit the number 1 for it. Then I messed around with it for about 10 minutes and figured out to leave the "up" arrow for "shortcuts" and that lists all the shortcuts. Thank you very much.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:00 AM
fro
7th Gear

Originally Posted by someone
Awesome, I set it for #1 and couldnt figure out how to hit the number 1 for it. Then I messed around with it for about 10 minutes and figured out to leave the "up" arrow for "shortcuts" and that lists all the shortcuts. Thank you very much.
or, you can just press the "OK" button followed by the number of your shortcut. So in your case, press "OK", then "1" and you should be taken to your shortcut right away. Remember that you need to be at the idle screen when you key in your shortcut. If you have any doubts, hit the "End" key first to force your phone back to the idle screen (tho it should be there if you haven't done anything with your phone in a while).
Old 09-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Racer

Tried that .. and it's not working. You're talking about the OK button that is in the center of the directional pad right? I press that then 1 .. tried with 1 2 and 3.. and different combos.