Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 07:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I'm new to the site I'm trying to get some ideas for installing my JL Audio 12W6 and JL amp in my '04 but I want to keep as much trunk space as possible. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Do a search for uncald4's (sp)custom enclosures. There are tons of happy customers and they're about as out of the way as you're going to get.

Or you could do like two of us have done and build a bandpass box with it ported through the armrest. No rattles whatsoever, awesome sound and SPL but it will take up about the same amount of trunk space as a sealed box.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ what he said. you mean something like this?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM
'04 TL SSM

Fade how much did that run you?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Instructor

this is not mine, but to duplicate this. Labor would be in the neighborhood of 1.000 and upwords. it all depends on material being used and how exquisite one wants to go with it.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Do a search for uncald4's (sp)custom enclosures. There are tons of happy customers and they're about as out of the way as you're going to get.

Or you could do like two of us have done and build a bandpass box with it ported through the armrest. No rattles whatsoever, awesome sound and SPL but it will take up about the same amount of trunk space as a sealed box.

Thanks for the info I got in touch with him today
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fade2blk
this is not mine, but to duplicate this. Labor would be in the neighborhood of 1.000 and upwords. it all depends on material being used and how exquisite one wants to go with it.
That's an awesome setup! If I had the money, I would do that. I built a box for $60 to JL specs and I can't be happier. It did take me all day due to my lack of a brain but it was fun. It looks as plain as I've ever seen but it sounds soooo good and will play rap with authority yet it's very tight on country and rock. I'm in love with this thing.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's an awesome setup! If I had the money, I would do that. I built a box for $60 to JL specs and I can't be happier. It did take me all day due to my lack of a brain but it was fun. It looks as plain as I've ever seen but it sounds soooo good and will play rap with authority yet it's very tight on country and rock. I'm in love with this thing.
it is not the price tag, but rather how well it is executed. the box that you build is priceless....

you gained experince in contructing it.
now think about your next one. and this time pay more attension on bracing it internally (if braced properly it will take less power to hear at same volume, this is caused by flexing). take into cosideration "thiel small parameters" of the driver. if you are going to stay with band pass. think of the frequency you would like to hear the most. by the way this is how natural crossover is created and if not mistaken it is 6db. that's a total diffrent subject.

and you will be shocked with your next creation.

remember: the enclsure that you build is one off, and it is a custom one. if you wanted a shop to build it, they would charge a bit more then the $60.00 that you have spent.

let me know if you are going to build another one.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Instructor

is this one of the enclosure that you build? http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=4
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

it is not the price tag, but rather how well it is executed. the box that you build is priceless....

you gained experince in contructing it.
now think about your next one. and this time pay more attension on bracing it internally (if braced properly it will take less power to hear at same volume, this is caused by flexing). take into cosideration "thiel small parameters" of the driver. if you are going to stay with band pass. think of the frequency you would like to hear the most. by the way this is how natural crossover is created and if not mistaken it is 6db. that's a total diffrent subject.

and you will be shocked with your next creation.

remember: the enclsure that you build is one off, and it is a custom one. if you wanted a shop to build it, they would charge a bit more then the $60.00 that you have spent.

let me know if you are going to build another one.
Actually I'm going to start on another one next weekend.... Just can't leave well enough alone. I screwed up a little, it's a little too tall to fit snug up against the rear seat so the port is a few inches behind the rear seat instead of sticking through it. This causes a couple rattles at obscene volumes. At any "normal" loud listening volume, no rattles.

I'm incredibly happy with the frequency response. It sounds flat from 30 to 100hz. On some of the lowest rap, it hits the low notes great. I turned the crossover up to 100hz just for fun and it will play up that high too. There doesn't seem to be a sweet spot, just flat all the way through. I tried a couple songs that would cause weird notes (if that makes any sense) and I can't get it to screw up. Also, unlike before, I can't tell where the bass is coming from. Before I was well aware it was coming from the trunk.

I also want to do some bracing. I started losing faith in this thing because it was so small (about the same size as my sealed box) I couldn't convince myself it was going to sound good so I put it together without doing things such as bracing and no glue or silicone on the front part. I just wanted to get it in the car and hear it. Now that I know it works, I'm going to do it over again and go all out. It might cost $70 this time lol.

At my age, SQ is more important and this thing delivers. The best part is, to get it to match the mids, I had to cut the gain by half to get down to the same volume as it had before in the sealed box.

Sorry for the novel, it's just exciting to finally have something I'm happy with.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Instructor

that's awesome. good luck on your next creation.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Team Owner

is this one of the enclosure that you build? http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?series_id=4
It was this one:

Taken from CSWBiggs (Jason's) thread. I knew it was small by looking at the blueprints but after seeing it in real life it's funny looking it's so small. One of my friends came by and saw it right before I was putting the drivers in and said "good luck with that".

Jason made some huge improvements over this design and that was the one I wanted..... still do.