having navi on too long?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having navi on too long?

will having the navi and radio on for 15 minutes without the engine on drain your battery to the point of not being able to start? cause i did this...and now it wont start...
Old 10-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Probably not...you probably had a weak battery to begin with. If you do want to use the radio with the engine off, make sure that you only click the key one position.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Advanced

This has happened to me twice.

The first time was back in July. I was charging my cell, without the car on, for maybe 15-20 minutes and about 30 minutes later, I tried starting my car and it wouldn't start. I had to get it jumped.

The last time, which was 2 weeks ago, I was setting up my bluetooth phone and had the Navi and radio on for the same amount of time, and again... I had to get it jumped.

I called Acura here in Portland and some lady in the service dept. told me that she has heard alot of complaints about the battery wearing down fast. She said it could be because of all the electronics, the heated seats, and navi. Now do I believe her?? I don't know but I've learned not to leave my keys in without the car on. I know jumping your car is not good at all. She also said that she's heard of MDX owners leaving their keys in the ignition (w/o the car on, of course) for 5 minutes and the battery runs out.

I had a new battery installed last week when I took my car in for rattles in the drivers side door and in the rear speaker area. I'm not sure if it fixed the problem and I really don't want to find out

So, to answer your question... from my experience... yes it will drain your battery. Hopefully you can get it jumped! Good luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Intermediate

thanks...

i just rememberd this happened with my RSX too like 3 years ago. acura batteries are bad i hear. anyone think getting an optima battery will void warranty?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
optima yellow top for the win. I've never heard anything about a battery voiding the warranty? I've had mine for about a year now. I consider it a "must" if you charge your phone with your car off or have dom's thing and sit in parking lots for 10 minutes sometimes playing playstation like me
Old 10-24-2006, 07:51 PM
2015 Advance

Originally Posted by mdt0034
The first time was back in July. I was charging my cell, without the car on

Am I missing something? I'm using the charger in the center console. It turns off when I turn the car off. Does the dash plug stay on?

-Eric
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
optima yellow top for the win. I've never heard anything about a battery voiding the warranty? I've had mine for about a year now. I consider it a "must" if you charge your phone with your car off or have dom's thing and sit in parking lots for 10 minutes sometimes playing playstation like me
hey what's up what is the part number for your yellow top battery.thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Racer

Thats a pretty serious issue if you are draining the battery to the point that it won't start your car after 15-20 minutes of using electrical stuff without the key on.......
Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Weird. I've watched videos in my car (via my Mediagate) on several occasions. The longest is maybe 1 hour. No problems here. (Knock on wood.)
Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Go Black & Gold!

Strange... If the battery is okay, there is no reason charging a cell phone should drain it to where it won't start.

I had my both mine and my wife's cells charging in her 2006 HHR for over an hour and no problem starting it up. I hope this doesn't become a problem.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdt0034
......when I took my car in for rattles in the drivers side door and in the rear speaker area...
Sorry to be off topic here but I need to ask because you seem to be the only person having the same problems as I do. All the dash, two front doors and the rear speaker rattle in my 2006 TL. If the song playing has a little bit of base, the speaker rattles even if the volume is at 4 bars. Its better on DVD's than XM. I have practically disabled the subwoofer and low base so I can listen to music at a louder setting.

Did they fix it under warranty?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brooklynite
Sorry to be off topic here but I need to ask because you seem to be the only person having the same problems as I do. All the dash, two front doors and the rear speaker rattle in my 2006 TL. If the song playing has a little bit of base, the speaker rattles even if the volume is at 4 bars. Its better on DVD's than XM. I have practically disabled the subwoofer and low base so I can listen to music at a louder setting.

Did they fix it under warranty?

brooklynite, for the door rattle, they seem to behaving a problem fixing it. I've taken it in twice for the same rattle and the first time they said they put some kind of padding in the door. Well, it didn't fix it so I asked them to fix it again and it still rattles. I will be asking them to fix it again when I take it in for the rear speaker rattle.

On the sub rattle, mine is having the same issue as yours is. The bass is what's making the speaker rattle. I can't turn the stereo up too loud because all I hear is the rattling. The service guy told me that it IS covered under warranty. He told me that some of the TL's that were made in the U.S. are having this issue and the TL's that are made in Japan don't have this issue. He said that the Japanese are more efficient when they make their cars . The service guy had to order the part and will be calling me when it comes in so I can take it in to get it fixed.

Hopefully that will cover the sub rattle and when I ask them to fix the door rattle I'm hoping they will get it right this time!

Good luck on yours!!