Have you replaced your speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:45 PM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you replaced your speakers?

Hey folks. Looking for some real time experience. I would like to replace my front speakers, not the center channel. All the installers I have contacted in my area are looking to gut the car, new speakers, new amps, lots of money, etc. I just want to see if someone has located a 2 ohm speaker and installed it, and of course was the sound quality worth the labor. Rather leave the rear stage alone, and the sub, though not booming.....well rather not get into amps etc. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Speed Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joed40
Hey folks. Looking for some real time experience. I would like to replace my front speakers, not the center channel. All the installers I have contacted in my area are looking to gut the car, new speakers, new amps, lots of money, etc. I just want to see if someone has located a 2 ohm speaker and installed it, and of course was the sound quality worth the labor. Rather leave the rear stage alone, and the sub, though not booming.....well rather not get into amps etc. Thanks!
Change the amps first, the stock speakers sound great with an amp on them...
Old 09-18-2005, 09:17 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 2LOW4U
Change the amps first, the stock speakers sound great with an amp on them...
And... the stock speakers are 2ohm so if you just replace some of them you're most likely going to upset the balance between all the drivers. This means you will end up needing individual amps so you gain adjust the levels back just to get the system balanced. Sounds like you already know this but wanted to highlight it for others. I think it is unlikely you will find a direct replacement that will sound better. If we knew the efficiency/sensitivity and some small Thiel parameters of the stock speakers you may have a chance to find a good drop in for the doors but it would be easier to use active equalization and amps with new drivers.

So I agree with 2LOW4U but add that you should get amps that are stable with 2ohm loads. Not usually a problem but just make sure. Also, the stock speakers aren't rated for huge wattage (search, lots of other posts on their specs) but you will be OK with going a bit higher than they are rated as long as your power is CLEAN. Remember, low wattage clipped signals do more damage typically than a clean signal at 50% higher or more wattage. If after that you still want new drivers then now you have lots more choices since you will have control over the power going to each. You will have effectively removed the 2ohm and efficiency/sensitivity issues and can then shop for some really good drivers.