Hands Free Link wont deactivate

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hands Free Link wont deactivate

Not sure how this happen but, I was driving, radio was on and then it went dead. I thought maybe I hit a dead air space with the XM radio but it never came back on. I looked to the screen above the NAVI screen (it tells you what mode you're in or what song is playing) and it said HF LINK. Now I hit the hang up hands button on the steering wheel and it flashed back to the radio and back to HF LINK. If I hold do that button the HF LINK diagnostic will come on and tell me that the HF LINK is fine, then the radio will come on. But I have to hold down this button!!!! If not holding the button the radio will not play, WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone please help me...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Recently had my HFL module replaced in 06 TL. It was completely dead. One of the things they did was to check the switches in the steering wheel were working properly. Seems that one of the failures modes for HFL is that it does not respond properly when switches are pressed. Tech said there should be some kind of resistance change when you press both switches. They figured out that HFL was bad and switches were OK.

There are two TSBs in the 3G garage that may help you (05-020 and 08-057). Some members have done the battery disconnect-and that sometimes resets the HFL. Did not work for me.

I took it in to Acura and they were able to diagnose it pretty quickly. They do alot of these HFL issues. Bad switches are relatively inexpensive to replace-HFL module on the other hand is $650+
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Hey man thanks! Ive been checking back on the hour to see if someone might have an answer for me. It sounds like its stuck, because the HF LIMK works, phone works. But like I said in order for me to use the Radio/XM/Tape/CD, I have to keep my thumb on the hang up button. Everything I have read so far people are saying its gonna be about 600.00 - 650.00 dollars if the HF LIMK is broke. Its not broke, hopfully just stuck. 112.00 for a diagnostic. So well see man THANK YOU!!!

The AcuraZiner's are great. Everytime I have had a issue, you guys have come through.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Shoot it!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Y1NScott

When I had the HFL problem-I was hoping it was the steering wheel switches gone bad-so I did a little homework. I determined it was a dead HFL and not the switches by following the troubleshooting advice of AZ members that were also having issues. Found out the switch is pretty cheap ($35) while the module is really expensive ($650).

I do not know how handy you are-but the 04-06 HFL switch (See part 004-button assembly) lists for about $35 on the Acura e-parts site (http://estore.honda.com/epc/asp/rjane007.asp). Would guess 07/08 are about the same (but I did not check). Most dealers will honor another dealers internet price-if you print it out and bring it in (I always call the parts department and ask if they will match the internet price).

It appears from this 3G Garage article for removing your steering wheel-that there are only 3 screws that hold the switch to the steering wheel-gotta remove the cover to see them (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/please-help-steering-wheel-cable-reel-problem-3g-garage-f-163-a-612763/). There is a scan of the service manual-pg 17-22 that shows the arrangement. I am certain there is a wire connector that attaches to the switch-once you unscrew it-and pull the switch out a little. I could not find the specific instruction for removing the switch-but maybe a member with access to the service manual can scan it for you.

At $112 for a diagnostic fee (my dealer did not charge a checkout fee)-DIY might be worth considering-as you will likely need the switch anyway.

Only thing I would advise is definitely disconnect the battery before doing anything with the steering wheel-as the airbag is right there. If you read the entire scan for service manual-it goes through the SRS system and precautions to take. Make sure you have the NAVI and Radio codes before doing this.

Extended (more than 20-minutes) battery disconnect will also require the idle learn procedure (essentially turn off all accessories and let engine run until cooling fan cycles on an off twice). Possibly window auto function reset (all the way down-and hold button a few seconds-and then all the way up and hold button a few seconds). Navi does it's own realignment after power is restored and you enter the code.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Instructor

I started the car up this afternoon and its working fine.

At some point Im going to have to take it in, Its going in for code A13 this weekend. So I may get them to look at it. Thanks again man.