Grom Audio GROM-USB2P-HON1

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Grom Audio GROM-USB2P-HON1

Just Pulled the trigger on this new set up! anyone have previous experiences with this product? and whats the major difference between this one and the BT3. do any of you know??

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

I'll Keep You all posted as soon as i receive it and install it!
The following users liked this post:
chapu08 (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Madness did it on his not to long ago

I am doing the same
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im looking to do the same - from what I can tell GROM-BT3 is the way to go as far as price and options... i dropped into bestbuy today and they had an isim571 (which basically does everything the bt3 does) but they wanted $280... i went to a local car audio place - and they were pushing some outdated stuff (i knew this after hours of research on the interwebs) for a total of $330....

1) are you two happy with what you did?

2) how much of a pain in the a$$ was the install?

3) why didnt you go the isimple isim571 route?

4) anything else you wish you knew before jumping in?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hotttoddie
im looking to do the same - from what I can tell GROM-BT3 is the way to go as far as price and options... i dropped into bestbuy today and they had an isim571 (which basically does everything the bt3 does) but they wanted $280... i went to a local car audio place - and they were pushing some outdated stuff (i knew this after hours of research on the interwebs) for a total of $330....

1) are you two happy with what you did?

2) how much of a pain in the a$$ was the install?

3) why didnt you go the isimple isim571 route?

4) anything else you wish you knew before jumping in?
Well i just ordered it and should be receiving it Tuesday morning (As Tracking Says) and i have a Galaxy S4 and as far as i know the Isimple isnt as great for androids. but as soon as i receive it i will make a Write up about the install along with pros and cons and a video of all the features! stay tuned

And Down here is Exactly what I ordered along with cost.

QtyItemOptionsPrice1Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter
Item # HON1U2Pcar make: 2005 Acura TL (Navigation)
choice: SAT/text firmw
$134.99 USD1GROM In-Car Bluetooth Extension for USB2P, AUX3 and MST3P
Item # BTD $49.99 USD1AUX-IN 3.5mm audio and 5V USB Charging cable , 5FT
Item # 35USB $14.99 USDAmount $199.97 USD
EvilVirus (03-25-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
9th Gear

good info - looking fwd to your write up - why did you go with USB2P and not the BT3? do you keep your music on USB stick? as far as I can see bluetooth option does all USB2P does except doing USB, no?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:39 PM
5th Gear

I'm very interested as well, as I ordered this, as well as many other parts for my new 04 TSX, only to total the car before I even received it all in the mail. Pretty sad to receive parts for a car that's now totaled. But anyway, I bought an 05 TL, and I still have this GROM laying around, so I guess I'll see how your install goes before embarking on doing it myself.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 AM
Advanced

good info - looking fwd to your write up - why did you go with USB2P and not the BT3? do you keep your music on USB stick? as far as I can see bluetooth option does all USB2P does except doing USB, no?
well i think i choose this option over the BT3 for multiple reasons.. first off this one shows song names on my navi as well as call info. Second from what i hear the bluetooth is alot better when streaming music and talking on phone and also because its meant for androids and i have a galaxy S4. But overall i think it will perform better with the bluetooth since its a separate component. (meaning i can replace it if it messes up instead of the whole unit)

Originally Posted by smcgarvey
I'm very interested as well, as I ordered this, as well as many other parts for my new 04 TSX, only to total the car before I even received it all in the mail. Pretty sad to receive parts for a car that's now totaled. But anyway, I bought an 05 TL, and I still have this GROM laying around, so I guess I'll see how your install goes before embarking on doing it myself.

Yea im excited for this write up as well haha but ima do a write up and a video after to show everyone how it works
chapu08 (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by onesiktl
well i think i choose this option over the BT3 for multiple reasons.. first off this one shows song names on my navi as well as call info. Second from what i hear the bluetooth is alot better when streaming music and talking on phone and also because its meant for androids and i have a galaxy S4. But overall i think it will perform better with the bluetooth since its a separate component. (meaning i can replace it if it messes up instead of the whole unit)

Yea im excited for this write up as well haha but ima do a write up and a video after to show everyone how it works
Grom is releasing a firmware update that will allow text to be displayed on screen via bluetooth on both units. The blurtooth quality is the same between the USB2 and BT3 from what I understand. The only thing the USB2 gives you over the BT3 is the ability to charge the phone. You can only use Groms media app when playing through USB, no spotify, slacker ect. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am in the market for one of these and this is what I have been told by Grom.
RxWorld (04-01-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChuckP
Grom is releasing a firmware update that will allow text to be displayed on screen via bluetooth on both units. The blurtooth quality is the same between the USB2 and BT3 from what I understand. The only thing the USB2 gives you over the BT3 is the ability to charge the phone. You can only use Groms media app when playing through USB, no spotify, slacker ect. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am in the market for one of these and this is what I have been told by Grom.

Yeah Today i installed this bad boy and it doesnt work on spotify but its still awesome! came across a small problem though.. when i disconnected my XM satellite it disconnected my Navi as well.. so for all of u whom are interested in my write up that i will be working on, i need to fix this problem first. any and all help would be appreciated
Old 03-27-2014, 03:36 AM
Instructor

Yeah Today i installed this bad boy and it doesnt work on spotify but its still awesome! came across a small problem though.. when i disconnected my XM satellite it disconnected my Navi as well.. so for all of u whom are interested in my write up that i will be working on, i need to fix this problem first. any and all help would be appreciated
Thanks for the feedback. How does the sound quality of the bluetooth compare to the USB?
Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. How does the sound quality of the bluetooth compare to the USB?
clear like no other! its awesome! even better then usb or aux cord! but yeah the sound quality is awesome! streaming has no delay. but tomorrow ill put up a post with all the info
Old 03-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Instructor

clear like no other! its awesome! even better then usb or aux cord! but yeah the sound quality is awesome! streaming has no delay. but tomorrow ill put up a post with all the info
Glad to hear. Cant wait to read what you have to say.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Can you charge your phones/tablets/mp3 thru your BT3
Old 03-27-2014, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by EvilVirus
yuppp, u need to connect your usb cord to the connection
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
interested in whether or not you can fix the navi problem, in for updates.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Instructor

You would have to spend an additional $15 on their USB cable. I don't think it's worth it considering chargers cost $2 nowadays.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:08 PM
Advanced

You would have to spend an additional $15 on their USB cable. I don't think it's worth it considering chargers cost $2 nowadays.
I Figured everything out! my dvd door was open and apparently it has a sensor.. haha ima head to work now but ill have a complete write up with pictures by tomorrow morning! get ready!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 PM
Safety Car

yuppp, u need to connect your usb cord to the connection

Conflicting...........I am assuming that since it has a USB opening then you should be able to plug any USB i.e. your connector; then it should work.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Conflicting...........I am assuming that since it has a USB opening then you should be able to plug any USB i.e. your connector; then it should work.
oops, i got this thread mixed up with the Grom BT3 thread. Yes, the USB will charge. With the BT3 you need to purchase their cable.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

^ LOL so did I......didnt meant to type BT3 but the GROM-USB2P-HON1
Old 03-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor

waiting on that review!
RxWorld (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
waiting on that review!
Im excited for this too!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how did it go? i'm thinking about buying this interface.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
onesiktl, any luck on that review? Still excited for it!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have had that grom audio usb adapter installed in my car for over a year now, works great with my note 3 and nexus 7 tablet mod
Old 06-09-2014, 11:28 PM
9th Gear

I Figured everything out! my dvd door was open and apparently it has a sensor.. haha ima head to work now but ill have a complete write up with pictures by tomorrow morning! get ready!
any luck with that review? install walk-thru? i just purchase my GROM-BT3-HON1 - and and debating doing the full proper stereo removal or the attempt that @chuckp did (mentioned here:
)
Old 06-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Instructor

Don't bother removing the entire stereo. It's kind of tricky getting the plug inserted into the back of the stereo and will take a few minutes, but it's not that bad.

Last time I pulled the whole console apart to wrap bits with 3M Carbon, 4 bulbs decided to stop working, I have no idea why. Another member had the same thing happen.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM
9th Gear

Don't bother removing the entire stereo. It's kind of tricky getting the plug inserted into the back of the stereo and will take a few minutes, but it's not that bad.

Last time I pulled the whole console apart to wrap bits with 3M Carbon, 4 bulbs decided to stop working, I have no idea why. Another member had the same thing happen.
thanks for the tip ChuckP. I (unfortunately?) got the CDC (cd changer) harness (cus i wanted to allow XM to still work.) Any idea if that harness accessible from the side panel?

-t
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM
9th Gear

thanks for the tip ChuckP. I (unfortunately?) got the CDC (cd changer) harness (cus i wanted to allow XM to still work.) Any idea if that harness accessible from the side panel?

-t
Nevermind - I misunderstood a few things...

1) The harness is the same for CDC and SAT firmwares. The harness only plugs into the XM connector.
2) I definitely recommend using ChuckP's video method of accessing and installing the GROM-BT3 or the GROM-USB2P etc. Be careful! When youre doing the 'shortcut' - I cracked a tab that inserts along the side of the console. Take your time, do it during the hottest part of the day, and maybe Armor-All that plastic several times over a couple days to lube it up.
3) Its tricky inserting the HON1 Y-cable back in the radio unit. Contort yourself and get some light in there. That really helps to know if youre lined up correctly
4) If youre using the CDC firmware, your GROM-BT3 GROM-USB2P, GROM-IPD wont work unless you eject all your CD's from your player. Took me a while to figure that out.

I spoke with Grom people and found out a few other things
A) The GROM-BT3 will never support track title/artist info text over bluetooth regardless of CDC or SAT firmware. They claim this is a hardware limitation of BT3 as well as Honda/Acura never allowed CD-TEXT via the CDC functionality.
B) The GROM-BT3 will support artist/title info over SAT if you use the ipod cable for BT3 and use SAT firmware.
C) If you need track info / text over bluetooth - you have to step up to the GROM-USB2P and add the BTD (bluetooth dongle.) That will cost more than the BT3 tho.
D) If you use SAT firmware, you must leave the XM cable disconnected (and you will lose XM capabilities.)

Hope that helps.

So far my initial impressions of the BT3 is great. Sound is as good as I would ever expect; its CD quality to my shitty ears. Im about to take a road trip - Ill let you know if there are any other issues or quirks.

Thanks to ChuckP and others for the help.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Instructor

I love the BT3 unit. But i am having issues with the android disconnecting from it every so often. Whether it be slacker, spotify or MP3s. Is anyone having this issue?

Great write up Hottoddie! Glad it all worked out for ya. Groms website is a bit misleading because it fails to specify that txt is only with the ipod cable. oh well.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
8th Gear

Does the BT3 have A2DP like the the USB2P + Bluetooth Extension? I want to be able to control media from stereo & steering wheel.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Racer

Nevermind - I misunderstood a few things...

1) The harness is the same for CDC and SAT firmwares. The harness only plugs into the XM connector.
2) I definitely recommend using ChuckP's video method of accessing and installing the GROM-BT3 or the GROM-USB2P etc. Be careful! When youre doing the 'shortcut' - I cracked a tab that inserts along the side of the console. Take your time, do it during the hottest part of the day, and maybe Armor-All that plastic several times over a couple days to lube it up.
3) Its tricky inserting the HON1 Y-cable back in the radio unit. Contort yourself and get some light in there. That really helps to know if youre lined up correctly
4) If youre using the CDC firmware, your GROM-BT3 GROM-USB2P, GROM-IPD wont work unless you eject all your CD's from your player. Took me a while to figure that out.

I spoke with Grom people and found out a few other things
A) The GROM-BT3 will never support track title/artist info text over bluetooth regardless of CDC or SAT firmware. They claim this is a hardware limitation of BT3 as well as Honda/Acura never allowed CD-TEXT via the CDC functionality.
B) The GROM-BT3 will support artist/title info over SAT if you use the ipod cable for BT3 and use SAT firmware.
C) If you need track info / text over bluetooth - you have to step up to the GROM-USB2P and add the BTD (bluetooth dongle.) That will cost more than the BT3 tho.
D) If you use SAT firmware, you must leave the XM cable disconnected (and you will lose XM capabilities.)

Hope that helps.

So far my initial impressions of the BT3 is great. Sound is as good as I would ever expect; its CD quality to my shitty ears. Im about to take a road trip - Ill let you know if there are any other issues or quirks.

Thanks to ChuckP and others for the help.
So i installed the grom usb2p and the stereo won't recognize it. Any tips? I had it flashed for the XM. I tried it with out the factory harness plugged into the Y and un plugged. I get nothing either way or whether I push disc or xm?

I cycled car from off to on a few times. Do I actually need to start it?
Also My phone can sync up to the grom via bluetooth, just no sound. Also I tried the aux cord and no sound.....

HELP please!!