GPS problems / frustrations

Old 08-12-2007, 08:01 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS problems / frustrations

I have a 2006 Tl with less then 12,000 miles on it. The GPS has always performed flawlessly until about a month ago. Now the car no longer shows itself accurately on the nav map. While I haven't measured the distance of error I would put it at 50-75 feet off of the actual location behind where you are. So when driving you are already through the intersection significantly before the map catches up. This mistake will sometimes cause the icon on screen to continue on a road after you have turned off it or make it float across city blocks as it tries to figure out where you are. This also effects the voice and directions when trying to navigate as the computer tells you to turn at a location you have passed already or thinks you have missed a turn and constantly recalculates your position. The system is now near useless.

Now for the frustration. I took the car back to the dealer and after leaving it all day I was told that it works fine, does not do it for us. I asked them to keep the car for a second day and was told again it's fine that the user manual clearly states the GPS can be off by several hundred feet. I was told if it continues to bring it back. The following Saturday I took it back and drove with a tech who agreed there was a problem but did not have a solution. I was told they would call me after researching the problem. Two weeks passed before I got the call this Friday. I was told there was no fix for the problem and the user manual clearly states the GPS could be off by several hundred feet.

I called the main Acura help line and they read the same section of the manual to me for a third time, they suggested disconnecting the battery overnight forcing the system to reboot. This also did not fix the problem.

The car is always ahead of the position shown, it's never behind. The system is acquiring 7 sats. I've run out of possibilities except for scheduling service at a different dealer to let them try to resolve the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a possible solution or fix or trick I can try?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You reloaded the navi software? When you did, did you sit out in your car for 10 minutes not moving it an inch while the car was running and the system was acquiring GPS signals ?

On one of the setup screens you can manually specify your position using arrows and such, see if that helps. Also check the diag screens, from the map screen hold down... i believe, map/guide, setup, and cancel buttons for a few seconds - you can get into system diags and it will check everything.

The only issue i've had with mine (other than the disc being from 2003) is when I leave my parking garage at work, since i'm in a building and she can't track very well inside/under cover the system gets a little confused after I Make 3 giant circles in the same spot, when I come out it shows me going diagonal through every street until I make a turn or two

Hope this helps!