Got an AT&T Wireless T616 Bluetooth phone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 PM
User Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an AT&T Wireless T616 Bluetooth phone...

I couldn't stand not using a feature I paid for, so I got a BT phone.

Well, actually they cut me a deal (I think). They had a refurb T616 and gave me first month free w/night and weekend plan. Cost breakdown below...

Refurb T616 w/car charger: $140+tax
Plan: 43.98+tax; first month free (called the goPhone plan)
(Plan includes 440 anytime, unlimited weekend, long distance included, no roaming)

So in reality, I just paid for the phone+tax up-front. I'm no cellular phone plan guru (normally a company phone user), but I think I got a good deal. Especially considering I have 30 days to return if I'm not happy. Sound like a good deal/idea?

I didn't bother with the full blown plan w/contract, cause I'm not sure I need it. I plan on using the phone solely while in-car.

Anyway, so far I called a couple places listed in the Navi system. Fair reception, some minor static/distortion, signal and battery meters show in MID. System also received my voice dialing well. All in all, I think I like it. Anything else I should be aware of or try? I plan on taking a road trip next week and hope to take conference calls while in-route.

In short... did I do good on the phone and plan? Should I be aware of anything else with the BT usage?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Instructor

i did the same i had nextel which wasn't coming out with a bluetooth phone anytime soon...i switched to att and got the t616 for $9.99 but that is with a 2 year contract...so far after using att for 2 weeks i have had one dropped call while using the bluetooth...only problem seems the voice recoginition doesn't work on the first try when getting into the car...take 2 or 3 tries then after it works fine
Old 04-17-2004, 10:25 PM
User Registered

Originally Posted by achadha100
i did the same i had nextel which wasn't coming out with a bluetooth phone anytime soon...i switched to att and got the t616 for $9.99 but that is with a 2 year contract...so far after using att for 2 weeks i have had one dropped call while using the bluetooth...only problem seems the voice recoginition doesn't work on the first try when getting into the car...take 2 or 3 tries then after it works fine
Yeah, my long-term work/personal phone is Nextel. I like it, and have been using it for 3.5 years now. I just wanted to start using it to see if I like it and will use it often. So for now, the AT&T phone is strictly for the car.

I may switch to T-Mobile as their pay as you go plan looks better. More for the phone up front but, if I pay for 120 minutes, I either use it or it expires in 6 months. Not like AT&T, pay monthly, but they have nights and weekends.

Toss up.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:05 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I got 4 Nokia 6820s for free with AT&T Wireless. Signed 3 of them up for a family plan, and the 4th is my personal line which I use for work. The GSM America Nation plan is coming out tomorrow (4/18) which will introduce roaming on ANY GSM network for no additional fee in the US. National plans before 4/18 are automatically grandfathered. I just signed up this week to take advantage of the extra minutes as the GSM America Nation plan includes fewer minutes.

$59.99 National Plan: 1250 anytime minutes, unlimited 7pm N&W, unlimited mobile to mobile.

I think you can get the T616 for free or close to free ($9.99) throughout the week on ATTWS.com. You might want to shop around a little and use that 30 days to get a pricematch.

I paired the 6820 in the car but don't get any of the phone information in the MID which kinda sucks, but I can deal.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Nokia is one of the few companies that doesn't allow the majority of the information to be transmitted via bluetooth.

for crackling fixes, check here: http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76048
Old 04-18-2004, 02:01 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by BlackSunshine
I couldn't stand not using a feature I paid for, so I got a BT phone.

Well, actually they cut me a deal (I think). They had a refurb T616 and gave me first month free w/night and weekend plan. Cost breakdown below...

Refurb T616 w/car charger: $140+tax
Plan: 43.98+tax; first month free (called the goPhone plan)
(Plan includes 440 anytime, unlimited weekend, long distance included, no roaming)
Sony Ericsson T616
$219.99 (Retail Price)
-$120.00 instant rebate $99.99

You should call Customer Service and ask for a pricematch. They will match their web prices with some persistence.