Got my K700i for $20...after rebate.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my K700i for $20...after rebate.

Went shopping for a new phone for my TL today and one store had it for $120 with a $100 rebate. Signed up for a 1 year contract w/ T Mobile. Essentially paid $20 for a phone that's going for $350+ on eBay.

The phone paired up nicely with the TL (the pairing process is a pain to figure out if you don't have the manual on hand) but I have only been able to make 2 HFL calls with it so far....why can't the batteries come charged?!? I got phone#, signal strength, and battery meter info displayed on MID.

Screen and camera/video features are awesome (still only VGA). I haven't tried out the radio or MP3 functions yet. Games are much more advanced and realistic than the MotoGP I had with my old Motorola 720i. Infrared beamed some phone numbers from my Sony Clie without problems. Overall size is the same as the T637/T610 (I compared them side by side in the store) but the keypad buttons have a bigger surface area. Still trying to get a hang of the joystick...I can't seem to push the joystick in consistently to select functions.

One note of warning if you already have a T-mobile contract...when you buy ANY phone from an independent dealer other than a company operated T-mobile store, you cannot cancel your old contract for 3 months or the dealer won't get their kickback and you may get a bill from the dealer. I had to sign up the phone under my wife's name so that I could cancel my old contract (and subsequently lose my phone #). If you have a contract from another carrier like Sprint, Verizon, etc...you can get the phone without a problem and still keep your phone number.

If anyone is interested and can reach the Queens, NY area - call first so they can hold onto the phone for you:
New World Telecom
ask for Ricky - Tell him Conan sent you
135-05 38th Ave
Flushing, NY
718-888-2288
Old 09-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

Yo, I started that thread on HowardForums...what are you doing just randomely posting it?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks...

Yah, I'm looking for the upgrade of my T610 in the end of the year.

Either T637 or K700 would be the good choice. My co-worker suggests many of mobile stores in Flushing would give you GOOD price. Thanks for your info.

But, IMO, AT&T, T-Mobile or Cingular seem not to get their own K700 yet, those phones sold by stores are all from Europe or Asia. The best deal I've heard so far is SE K700i imported from Asia with $0 down + $20 rebate ($39.99/1-yr deal).

mobilezen, I'm gonna get one flyer and scan for you next week. You will see the best price (the most competitive) you never see before.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:36 AM
Drifting

I was thinking about this some time ago. Does it truly matter what price you get it at? If you have money, you will eventually get it and that is the bottom line. At the end, its not who pays how much but who gets what. just a thought.

btw, I'm getting a blue k700i next week, it is already en route
Old 09-05-2004, 03:28 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Estimate our own potency before acting...

Originally Posted by mobilezen
I was thinking about this some time ago. Does it truly matter what price you get it at? If you have money, you will eventually get it and that is the bottom line. At the end, its not who pays how much but who gets what. just a thought.

btw, I'm getting a blue k700i next week, it is already en route

Sorry, .

Glad to know you're getting your K700i soon.

Maybe I misinterpreted your sentence. Here I have different thought.
  1. If ppl have money, they absolutely can spend the portion of fortune to get whatever they want. However, if they can find the good deal to get the same product without any delay or problems, IMHO, most of ppl (even successful moguls) will do so.

2. I just believe $$$ is always the factor in the story of seeking products. Otherwise, ppl won't ask MSRP vs. Invoice(2k difference), and won't mind those group-buy or cheaper stuff($5-$100 difference).

3. This forum isn't only telling ppl what to buy, but also inform ppl of where to get and how much is worth the purchase.

4. With $300, someone may spend it to get K7000i right away. Another may spend less than $50 to get it from their special vendors. Others may give it up and get the free model instead. In the end, they all have phone they can use. But the saving $300 means a lot to those getting free model phones.

5. Obviously, some ppl don't care about $$$, but most of ppl do mind.

6. When civilian could get it at $1 but the mogul have to spend $300 to have, yes they all have it finally, but will this make that mogul happy if he knows the whole story? (The only scenario he won't mind is that he has toooo much $$$ plus he doesn't care... )

7. The bottom line for me is I wouldn't mind spending $300 to get it from eBay or somewhere else 3 months ago. For now, that sleek phone isn't worth more than $50 to have it.

Moreover, for those spending MSRP to buy their 04TL, I hope all of them would believe it's worth to get it since they enjoy the outstanding vehicle 1-2 months earlier than others.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:46 AM
Drifting

...hehe, of course money to some people make a huge difference. To me money is important in some aspects but like I said, at the end both people get product "Abc" and the dollar amount is never discussed after the initial conversation thus everybody is enjoying their product.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:05 PM
JBM
Intermediate

k700i and Cingular . . .

Will this phone work with the Cingular network?

Brokedoc - I noticed that you signed up for T-mobile. Any particular reason why? By the way, thank you very much for your post regarding this phone and where you got it. I thought it was amazingly helpful. How's the phone working with the TL so far for you?
Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JBM
Will this phone work with the Cingular network?

Brokedoc - I noticed that you signed up for T-mobile. Any particular reason why? By the way, thank you very much for your post regarding this phone and where you got it. I thought it was amazingly helpful. How's the phone working with the TL so far for you?
T-mobile uses triband (one US freq, 2 international) in the US whereas Cingular and ATT use Quadband (2 US, 2 international). If you try to use the k700i with a Cingular or ATT SIM card, it will work but you will be missing one band and will have huge dead zones where ever they have 850MHz coverage only.

The phone is awesome. Works flawlesslely with the HFL (and displays all HFL info) just like the other SonyEricsson phones T610 and T637 but has more features and larger keys. Overall size is similar to the other two phones. Mine came with 41MB free memory and can record video w/sound, take VGA still pics, play MP3s, has a built-in radio tuner, and an awesome screen. Too bad the phone isn't sold directly in the US.

The US has always been behind when it comes to cell phone networks and technology. Ironic that the country with the most money doesn't have the best mobile communications systems. One of the few times it is a disadvantage to live in the US.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Drifting

There are certain Cingular markets that will work with the K700i strictly but it is not a safe assumption because markets such as Dallas/Ft. Worthless use 850 strictly. BTW, for anyone who wants a blue K700i...I might be selling mine, $450 shipped.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:58 AM
Advanced

I've just got the K700 tonight from T-mobile and worked beautifully in my TL. Even better than the T616 that I had before. Definitely recommend!