Good rear speakers to compliment these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good rear speakers to compliment these?

I'm decided to get these components for the front of the 08 TL:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io+C5-650.html

Anyone have thoughts on them? What would be a good set of rear's for these?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
ditch the rear speakers. throw that money into sound deadening
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
2008 NBP Base is in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not do a second set of these for the rear....
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey
Why not do a second set of these for the rear....
comps + freeair?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
because ur sound stage is from the front. you dont go to a concert n listen to the music with ur back turned to the band. the rear speakers really shouldnt be used...but they add a certain ambience witht he stock system and make u think its louder and at times you get a few added sound effects going on. but if the system/speakers are set up properly in the front, u never really need the rears....i dont even use the rear in mine. in surround sound systems its different plus your in a house not a car.....the environment has changed at that point.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Pro

NO REAR SPEAKERS ALLOWED...lol

use the extra money and put as much of good clean power to the front as possible!!!

-Jason
Old 06-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm with eggy, trip and biggs on this. rear speakers should be used for fill only. they will not enhance the sound much at all.

As for your components... 75 watts? Are you sure that will be enough? If you're putting a sub in the rear you will probably want more power out of the front stage so the mids/highs balance out with the bass. Just my
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Safety Car

trew Im using the 300/4 JL in my car with 6 speakers.... 2 silk dome tweeters in the oem location two 5.25 inch compression loudspeakers added to the doors pointed towards me n the passenger and two 6.5 inch beyma compression loudspeakers in the oem location in the doors running 1.6ohms on eachside. total wattage per-side is 38watts and if u bring it within the last 3 notches of volume its almost deafening.....but extremely clear. you can hear the vinyl scratching off of a record in the background. lol
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ehhhhh

DVD Audio = 5.1
F/L, CTR, F/R, R/L, R/R, SUB = 5.1 speakers

I tend to think that if I did not have my rear speakers, my dvd audio discs would sound like utter shit... because i'd be missing two channels.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

tim... actually 5.1 is matrixed sound... actually its matrixed til u get up to 7.1 your still getting the "real" sound from the front 3 channels.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

matrixed meaning its layered and formatted differently for a processor to spit it out correctly. but in the breakdown of it all.....its still front channels heavy sound.... rears low "surround"
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Components in the front, coaxials in the rear.

Coaxials are very affordable, so I say go ahead and get 'em.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Does no one ever have passengers?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

coch whats that mean?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Id have 3 of these and 20 subs in my basement using the whole basement as an enclosure for the subs in my house.
http://www.geekologie.com/2007/09/20/big-speaker.jpg

the only thing is the horns wouldnt be acrylic theyd be metal or another form of plastic...i dont like the resonance of acrylic for highs....for bass its ok. lol
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Well, you're saying the sound behind you doesn't really matter. But what about the rear passengers?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Safety Car

the stage still isnt behind u. its in front. they arent turning around to hear the sound they are sitting down with their backs to the speakers. also its a car so sound isnt really complimentary in it. thats y if u place the speakers up front correctly within a few degreees of deviation you get extremely nice sound in the back....in my car with the speaker placement u hear super clear and loud.... the physics behind what i did is crazy but the sound travels great.
if i plug in the rear speakers.....you can seriously go deaf thats how loud it is in the car.... the front speakers are slightly turned down in volume......i dont use crossovers i make them according to whats being done in the car and the power being used and how i want the music to sound.... and thats also based on what music the person listens to.

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 06-04-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

I know I can hear a difference sitting in the front seat with the rear turned down low, much less off. It's very disconcerting. Doesn't sound right at all.

If you've changed the geometry of the front speakers, that's a different story. Maybe my ears are more sensitive.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

or so u think. Ive been designing systems for quite sometime and I get checked at an audiologist every year to make sure my hearing is all there.... still havent lost it. I can hear things most people cant in music if u wanna talk about sensitivity. I grew up around now producers back in the day dj's, mechanics, engineers....im pretty fluent in a lot of things.
your talking about hearing....Im talking about physics and how it comes together in the car....and how i use physics to determine sound not my ears.....your ears lie (not JUST yours....everyones).

now ur talking about difference in sound...yea great it sounds lower in the back because youve changed the distance of sound and youve put things in its way that deflect it. so your going to get a lower sound but u know where the sound is coming from...the front where your supposed to hear music from. in front of u. music from the back like the speaker positioning actually throws sound off in the back of the car and front because of phase and timing.
anyone can mod it to sound good up front but it'll sound bad to u in the back. Its all about tuning it to sound good in one place in the car....the drivers seat. theres no spot in the car where its going to sound amazing to everyone sitting in the car because its not tuned for everyone....UNLESSS you put the same amount of speakers all around each seat for all the passengers with each set having its own amp to power them.
I can go on n on n on about this. Im sure all the other MECP guys on here can as well. lol

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 06-04-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

That's nice.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Pro

pyscho-acoustics 101...

rear speakers cause destructive interference with the sound produced by your front stage..

if you chose to run rears invest in some processor that allows time alignment...than correct all channels according and then add 10-20ms delay on your front stage...watch what happens....

-Jason
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

thanks bro im gonna go sleep now lol!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Love My Acura!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
tim... actually 5.1 is matrixed sound... actually its matrixed til u get up to 7.1 your still getting the "real" sound from the front 3 channels.
It is true that in the "old days" of dolby surround movies that the rear and side information was matrixed and was of limited frequency response. That is not true of a DVD-A disk that was mastered with 5.1 discrete channels. Or, an older release that was re-mastered from the original seperate tracks. The only one I have is the Beatles "Love" which is the soundtrack from the Cirque-de-Soleil show by the same name. I can tell you with 100% certainty it is not "matrixed". There are definitely discrete channels and it sounds fantastic in my 2005 TL, especially with the volume cranked up a little. If you are parked and it is quiet, on the first song, you can hear a bumble bee or fly flying around your head. It is extremely realistic sounding. Without the rear channels - you would never get that effect.

Now, I know that many people (probably most) do not own any DVD-As. I agree, that for 2 channel Stereo, the rear only provides some "fill" and volume of the rear should be kept fairly low so that the imaging cues come from the front.

Robert

Last edited by Trek7300; 06-05-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: corrected grammer
Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
pyscho-acoustics 101...

rear speakers cause destructive interference with the sound produced by your front stage..

if you chose to run rears invest in some processor that allows time alignment...than correct all channels according and then add 10-20ms delay on your front stage...watch what happens....

-Jason
There we go. Great advice Jason. This is very true in my condition. My RF3Sixty.2 allows for time delay between front and back, and left and right. It's an amazing difference in sound.

By the way, what's a "passenger"?
Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea what IS a passenger? And what's all of this talk about rear speakers? If you really REALLY have to have rear speakers, I'd just keep the stock ones in there.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

takle em out n dynomaaaaattttt
Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Pro

thanks bro im gonna go sleep now lol!
hater !

hahahaha

-Jason

P.S. - you think that's boring...you should hear my other rant and raves..ahahaha
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

lol bro i read em.... but since u know what ur talking about..... i just read and leave the comments out and laugh at those who try to argue the books and proven theory....lmao!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Trip any reason you have 2 - 5.25 mids behind you in your ride, do you like the rear fill just a little
Old 06-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

i have ONLY fronts.... the rears are 2 6.5 beyma 90m speakers running 8ohms each so i need another set to compliment them....just not in the back or ill sell them =)
I have 6 speakers up front....

2 - O2 OST-35 tweeters...silk dome
2 - O2 5.25 hybrid speakers - half neodymium half regular magnet
2 - Beyma 90M's 6.5inch

the tweeters and 6.5's are in the stock locations. the 5.25's are molded into the door panels and wrapped in carbonfiber vinyl.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Safety Car

the tweeters are 4 ohms the 5.25s are 4ohms and the 6.5s are 8 ohm...that gives me the total load at 1.6ohms and the amp can handle a maximum of 1.5ohms. its a JL 300/4v2 putting out 38 clean watts when i measured it with clio....way below clip.

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 06-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

i just read and leave the comments out and laugh at those who try to argue the books and proven theory....lmao!
There can be no 'proven theory' to audio, as everyone hears things differently, and everyone has different preferences in doing so.

You may know a couple of things about electronics, but I know a thing or two about the human body.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
There can be no 'proven theory' to audio, as everyone hears things differently, and everyone has different preferences in doing so.

You may know a couple of things about electronics, but I know a thing or two about the human body.
show's how little that you know about audio...period...

and what makes you an expert on acoustic response to the human body...notice how i say body...not just ear...please clue us all in...i'm just dying to understand your logic...or should I say...lack there of?

-Jason
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

lol ok doc.... its funny although you think you know.... you still dont. Ill fill you in a lil, Physics and math proves everything ive mentioned, along with inside and outside calculations for loudness. I can prove anything with math for sound.... when you're a doctor you're constantly practicing trying to prove theory...therefore it remains theory until its proven otherwise.....and even then its called theory because you always get shit like "oh thats not a heart thats a brain". Oh and in case I didnt tell you....I dont practice electricity and math it stayed the same you cant change it unless your calculations are off (and its been the same for billions of years). Im sorry to tell you but all the theory that i have mentioned is proven through math and physics its called theory because you can bend and manipulate sounds to your liking . sound is the transfer function of energy through time (FACT NOT FICTION...sit there and think of that line a few times til it sinks in...because it important to recognize that.). so all Im doing is manipulating the "energy" to go in different directions. in music u have a fuck ton of variables that go into it and in the end its all preference....if u want back speakers go ahead do it im not stopping you, nor do I care.... Im letting you know, u cannot hear sounds from behind u....and thats proven (its not theory), you can ONLY hear echos from the angles in the environment provided from behind you. Which again goes back to physics n math....which im not getting into because the equations are probably longer than my speech.
with hearing... yea everyone hears differently because some of us either dont have perfect hearing, have untrained ears or just dont care much about sound. They just want it to be loud and they couldnt tell the difference between a fart or a high hat. quality vs. SPL..... this is y I use specific equipment to tune my customers cars (speaker angles, timing, crossover frequencies, amplifier levels etc.)to the point to where it (the system) never has to be touched and u can pop any cd in the car without ever having to change settings.....and thats not always the case in music and systems.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Racer

Do you have a pic of that mid mounted , I have 2 sets of Dynaudio 340 & 342,
I need idea's

thank you !
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Pro

lol ok doc.... its funny although you think you know.... you still dont. Ill fill you in a lil, Physics and math proves everything ive mentioned, along with inside and outside calculations for loudness. I can prove anything with math for sound.... when you're a doctor you're constantly practicing trying to prove theory...therefore it remains theory until its proven otherwise.....and even then its called theory because you always get shit like "oh thats not a heart thats a brain". Oh and in case I didnt tell you....I dont practice electricity and math it stayed the same you cant change it unless your calculations are off (and its been the same for billions of years). Im sorry to tell you but all the theory that i have mentioned is proven through math and physics its called theory because you can bend and manipulate sounds to your liking . sound is the transfer function of energy through time (FACT NOT FICTION...sit there and think of that line a few times til it sinks in...because it important to recognize that.). so all Im doing is manipulating the "energy" to go in different directions. in music u have a fuck ton of variables that go into it and in the end its all preference....if u want back speakers go ahead do it im not stopping you, nor do I care.... Im letting you know, u cannot hear sounds from behind u....and thats proven (its not theory), you can ONLY hear echos from the angles in the environment provided from behind you. Which again goes back to physics n math....which im not getting into because the equations are probably longer than my speech.
with hearing... yea everyone hears differently because some of us either dont have perfect hearing, have untrained ears or just dont care much about sound. They just want it to be loud and they couldnt tell the difference between a fart or a high hat. quality vs. SPL..... this is y I use specific equipment to tune my customers cars (speaker angles, timing, crossover frequencies, amplifier levels etc.)to the point to where it (the system) never has to be touched and u can pop any cd in the car without ever having to change settings.....and thats not always the case in music and systems.
You're so ANGRY!!! LOL

-Jason
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

yes in need some anger management courses (no joke) lol but i mean how can u possibly defy whats proven? lol it makes no sense.
busa i have pics but before i finished the doors, they are in the middle of fabrication and tonight when i get home or even before ill take some pics for u

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 06-10-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Racer

Thank You !!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some these tags really don't make sense lol

anyways.. I'm gonna follow the advice of everyone here and forget about the rears and just invest that amount into my components tell me what you guys think about these:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ZR650-CSi.html

I'm pretty sure thats an error in the description where it says 350 watts rms lol

I mostly listen to trance/house some rock and little rap here and there so I want something that is realllllllllly clear and has crisp highs.

Thanks for all the advice here.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Drifting

nice comps. looks like they can take alot of power. for close to 500 i would be getting something from the focal or morel line, though.

Quick Reply: Good rear speakers to compliment these?