Get more from your NAVI

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Get more from your NAVI

I thought a thread that shares tips on getting more and better use out of your NAVI might be helpful. I'm not talking hacks or modifications...but rather how to use the existing options more effectively.

My contribution to kick this off is the use of a "categories" search. I have found this type of search to be much more effective than name searches. Frustrated by the different names that business are often logged into the data base (i.e. Dunkin Donuts, Dunkin' Donuts, Dunkin-Donuts, Dunkin Doughnuts...you get the drift)...I have turned a number of times to the use of categories.

The NAVI can be a real yellow-pages directory by unleashing the power of categories. It can even save you from calling 411 for a business phone number if you can use the category search to find exactly what you are looking for.

Let's say you are somewhere away from home and you want to find the closest liquor store. Simply select to find a place...by category. Now...the 10 or 12 options on the default category page are not discrete enough to find specifically a liquor store. By selecting "Other Category" you can then find the option to find a category by keyword. Then type in "Liquor" and suddenly you are presented with a specific category that is simply "liquor store - distributors". Now select that category and ask for it to sort from the distance to location and you are set.

BTW...once you have the list of stores...using the Bluetooth phone to call one at a time to quickly find out how late they were open was also very useful...and saved us from heading to a closed location.

The ability to use keywords to first find the category has made it so much easier to find the places I'm looking for. For some reason I just assumed that the database was only broken down into the 10-12 categories that are represented by the buttons..."shopping"..."restaurants"...etc. Clicking on the "Other Category" button that I tended to ignore at first...unleased a new power of discrete searching that I find myself using quite often.

Anyway...I am sure this is probably obvious to many...but perhaps it will help a few other folks. Other tips or discoveries welcome.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:25 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy the Navi without question

Get the Navi for sure.....i was stupid enough not purchase the Navi package. I am so regret now ....i was even thinking trade in my 3 months old TL to Navi but gonna costs me 8K...... please don't make the same mistake.!!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by colberto
I thought a thread that shares tips on getting more and better use out of your NAVI might be helpful. I'm not talking hacks or modifications...but rather how to use the existing options more effectively.

My contribution to kick this off is the use of a "categories" search. I have found this type of search to be much more effective than name searches. Frustrated by the different names that business are often logged into the data base (i.e. Dunkin Donuts, Dunkin' Donuts, Dunkin-Donuts, Dunkin Doughnuts...you get the drift)...I have turned a number of times to the use of categories.

The NAVI can be a real yellow-pages directory by unleashing the power of categories. It can even save you from calling 411 for a business phone number if you can use the category search to find exactly what you are looking for.

Let's say you are somewhere away from home and you want to find the closest liquor store. Simply select to find a place...by category. Now...the 10 or 12 options on the default category page are not discrete enough to find specifically a liquor store. By selecting "Other Category" you can then find the option to find a category by keyword. Then type in "Liquor" and suddenly you are presented with a specific category that is simply "liquor store - distributors". Now select that category and ask for it to sort from the distance to location and you are set.

BTW...once you have the list of stores...using the Bluetooth phone to call one at a time to quickly find out how late they were open was also very useful...and saved us from heading to a closed location.

The ability to use keywords to first find the category has made it so much easier to find the places I'm looking for. For some reason I just assumed that the database was only broken down into the 10-12 categories that are represented by the buttons..."shopping"..."restaurants"...etc. Clicking on the "Other Category" button that I tended to ignore at first...unleased a new power of discrete searching that I find myself using quite often.

Anyway...I am sure this is probably obvious to many...but perhaps it will help a few other folks. Other tips or discoveries welcome.
Sorry...one bit of correction on my original post...

The ability to find more discrete categories by keyword is found by clicking on the "Advanced" button on the main category list. I wasn't in front of my NAVI when I wrote my tip...so I forgot the name of that button.

The "Advanced" button allows for a category search by keyword. I just used it to find an "Ice Cream Shop" that was nearby. Worked like a charm! Better than a yellow pages!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Hey does anyone know the voice command for the address book. I've tried several combos and nothing works. I even opened the manual and it doesnt have one. But I know its out there because one time the car didnt understand what I said and it took me to address book (too bad I cant recall what i mumbled).
Old 03-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by vandido626
Hey does anyone know the voice command for the address book. I've tried several combos and nothing works. I even opened the manual and it doesnt have one. But I know its out there because one time the car didnt understand what I said and it took me to address book (too bad I cant recall what i mumbled).
Do you mean the listing under "Personal Address"? I would say "Menu," "Personal Address," then "User 1" or "User 2." I don't know whether there is a shorter way to get there. To SET UP the personal addresses you have to go through one of the setup screens, which you can access by saying "SETUP" and then the screen number.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Look Mean, Play Nice

Very useful post... I admit I haven't truly utilized the power of searching the categories enough.

And I hear you about the liqour stores. Don't even try to type in the name "ABC" for a Virginia liquor store. You will get about 10,000 hits of useless stuff.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:46 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Yeah, I've come to use mine in that way all the time. I discovered what you're describing once when driving out of town and craving a Starbucks coffee. I couldn't find one within a few hundred miles with the name search, but the method you described listed several within a mile or two of my location.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
Do you mean the listing under "Personal Address"? I would say "Menu," "Personal Address," then "User 1" or "User 2." I don't know whether there is a shorter way to get there. To SET UP the personal addresses you have to go through one of the setup screens, which you can access by saying "SETUP" and then the screen number.

I'll try that