First 06 330i Vs. 04 TL comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First 06 330i Vs. 04 TL comparison.

This comparison is for the Audio, Bluetooth, Navigation, and Voice Command.

Audio:

Both cars have great OEM audio systems.
330i: Logic 7 system 13 speaker 420-watt
TL: DVD-A ELS system 8 speaker 225-watt

The TL has a in-dash 6 disc changer and the 330i has one with the optional changer in the trunk. When playing CDs, the Logic 7 sounds much better than the ELS. The bass and trebble, highs and lows sounds more rich. I think this has something to do with the equalizer and additional subwoofer. Play a DVD-A on the ELS and that's when the ELS system really shines. I really do miss the DVD-A system from the TL.
The 330i does allow you to play mp3s that are burned onto a CD.

The 330i comes with Sirius while the TL has XM. I can't really do a comparison here because it seems Sirius' quality isn't as good as XM's. I personally prefer XM over Sirius.

I haven't listened to FM radio for a while. Can't really do a comparison here. 330i does have RDS.

330i offers a aux input while TL has a cassette. I haven't used the aux input yet.

Bluetooth:

All the phones that paired up with the TL paired up with the 330i.

The bluetooth system on the 330i is far superior to the TL's. On the TL, you have to store each number individually with your voice. To make a call, you have to use your voice also. This can get very fraustrating. Sometimes the system doesn't recognize your command, the number, or the person you're trying to call.

On the 330i, once you pair the phone with the car, your phonebook is uploaded into your car. If you add, delete, or edit anything in your phone's phonebook, the phonebook in your car automatically gets updated the next time you get in your car. The phonebook shows up on the navi screen. There is also a keypad on the screen for you to dial a certain number that is not stored in the phonebook. You can call a contact in your car's phonebook by simply saying the person's name without even storing the name.

Navigation:

The lady's voice that gives the directions on the TL definitely sounds better than the 330i's.

Both cars have their pluses and minuses in the navigation department. I would say that the TL's system is better.

The 330i's navigation system has a perspective view that is very cool. The route calculation and recalculation is very fast. You can have half the screen with a different view, like the audio, phone, and the other half showing the map.

On the TL you can search for a specific store by inputing the name, but on the 330i you can't. You can only search for a specific type of store. Both systems allow you to do a search by a city, state.

I haven't used the POI in the 330i that often yet so I can't compare which system is better in this department.

Voice Command:

The voice command on the 330i allows you to push the voice button and say your commands and push the button again after all commands are finished. With the TL, you would have to push the button after each command in order to give another command.

The voice command on 330i only has a male's voice. Can't choose between a male of female like in the TL.

I'm sorry if I missed somethings.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the write up. Bluetooth implementation in BMW made me really jelous.
I find it interesting that you prefer sound of XM over Sirius. I've never listened to Sirius, but XM with it's 48kb encoding sounds very bad already.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right when I first got the car, Sirius changed their channel lineup a week later. Maybe this has something to do with the sound quality?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think TL's bluetooth module is only about 400-600$ whereas those better sync ones are far more expensive. It all comes down to price tag.