Favorite DVD-A listing thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hooksta...
The discs aren't DVD-A's originally. He created DVD-A's from the DTS or DDS tracks off a regular DVD. Depeche is rereleasing their backcatalog in 5.1 DDS and DTS special editions. Queen is a video DVD and not sure on the AHA, but sounds like the same thing as the others, video DVD.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Hooksta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickneuropa
Hooksta...
The discs aren't DVD-A's originally. He created DVD-A's from the DTS or DDS tracks off a regular DVD. Depeche is rereleasing their backcatalog in 5.1 DDS and DTS special editions. Queen is a video DVD and not sure on the AHA, but sounds like the same thing as the others, video DVD.
Rick,

Any suggestions as to where I can go to learn more about how to do this myself? I am curious to see if there is another forum or bulletin board where to find a big list of DTS samplings and instructions how to convert.

I have some basic skills, such as copying DVD's, and burning MP3's, or downloading Ipod stuff...but that's about all I know.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

this is an idiot question, but can i take my collection of music on my computer and burn them to a DVD so i can pack more than 20ish songs to one cd?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Lt. Dangle

Originally Posted by Hooksta
Rick,

Any suggestions as to where I can go to learn more about how to do this myself? I am curious to see if there is another forum or bulletin board where to find a big list of DTS samplings and instructions how to convert.

I have some basic skills, such as copying DVD's, and burning MP3's, or downloading Ipod stuff...but that's about all I know.
You need two pieces of software for this:

DVD Audio Extractor

and

DVD Audio Solo

. . . and of course a DVD Burner.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Hooksta

Originally Posted by enormus
You need two pieces of software for this:

DVD Audio Extractor

and

DVD Audio Solo

. . . and of course a DVD Burner.
Thanks I'll look into these...this whole process sounds interesting. Now I just have to be successful one time. Most everything seems kind of hard the first time you try to learn it. Well it will occupy my time.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Instructor

And, what's nice is. both software come with a 30 day trial download, so you can test it out, and see if it works for you (it should) One more tip, use the DVD-R discs, not the +R as the -R are the only discs that work in the TL. You can also use the +R DL discs.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by enormus
Can't believe no one has mentioned Pink Floyd's "Darkside of the Moon" quad mix here. I would go so far as to say you haven't heard the album until you have heard it this way. Worth tracking down if you have da skillz. ;->
Originally Posted by Maple04TL
What he said. This sounds awesome in 5.1 DTS.
I've heard this in the standard stereo CD that I've had for years thorugh the ELS in my TL and it's pretty much breathtaking. I could only imagine how awesome it sounds in true 5.1 DVDA.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Godfather of Chrome

Location: Santa Cruz, and yes I'm a hippie with retro 1970s sideburns and a chrome fetish
Originally Posted by Adobeman
I grabbed the Metallica Black DVD-A and it is pretty good but not as good as I had hoped. REALLY STRONG drums and vocals but the highs are a bit harsh. Considering the age of the original recording it isn't bad. If you like this and don't already have it on CD then it would be worth getting the DVD-A
I have this regular, stereo CD already (in case that wasn't apparent by my screen name, I'm a Metallica fan), and have been wondering if their DVDAs were any good. I would love to hear some of the truly old Metallica stuff (Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, etc.). Ah yes, the good old days of classic heavy metal. Probably sounds SO awesome!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Hooksta

Well I figured out to rip audio tracks from DVD's and convert them to a DVD-R to play in the Acura. AND I figured out how to take multiple cd's, load them up (and up-convert..I think) and put them all on one DVD. That is convenient because I didn't have to compress into an MP3 format or anything and I have all my favorites by a particular group on one disc.

However, I was unable to download the DTS formatted stuff from websites I found. I think one of the sites was with a program called uTurrent or something like that. Anyhow my computer did not recognize the format. So 2 out of 3 ain't bad for a first go at it.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VoodooSS
this is an idiot question, but can i take my collection of music on my computer and burn them to a DVD so i can pack more than 20ish songs to one cd?
See this thread ......