Factory Speaks out, RF speaks in

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004 | 07:13 PM
7th Gear

Factory Speaks out, RF speaks in

Hi people... I'm in the middle of a huge transformation of my new 04 TL. I have replaced all my interior speaks (except center channel) and replaced them with Rockford fosgate TYPE RF component speakers. I have a Rockford Fosgate 800.4 running them.
I will continue to post new pictures as they come along..

Additional components.
I'm adding 2 Rockford Fosgate T2 Subs with a RF BD1000 amp running them
More to come!!

I should have my site up and running ... at cardomain.com
ill submit the link when i get it...
Old 07-31-2004 | 07:36 PM
7th Gear

Hey... got the link working faster then I thought.. here you go

http://www.cardomain.com/id/slimsride23

Let me know what you think
Old 07-31-2004 | 08:29 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

wow, if you're doing that yourself... props on your work, man. it looks real clean
Old 07-31-2004 | 09:09 PM
Black

holy mackarel - helluva job.

how much did this cost / how much time did it take?

it seems like doing anything involving rear seat removal is a pain in the arse...
Old 08-01-2004 | 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

removing the seats is the easy part. making the entire install very neat is another thing.
so far so good. what guage speaker wires are you using? the pictures seem to show that they are somewhat smaller that what i would like them to be. also, did you replace or add new tweeters??

keep up the great work. hope you post more pics soon. thanks!!
Old 08-01-2004 | 12:54 AM
Lastdra900n

good stuff man
Old 08-01-2004 | 12:58 AM
7th Gear

i have 0 gauge wire going to the main battery.. then at the fuse it splits to 2 wires.. both are 2 gauge going all the way back to the rear.

No i'm not doing it myself.... I definitely give props to the people at Action Auto Sound , they are hooking me up crazily on this project.

I replaced the two front tweeters as well as removing the old factory sub and installed 2 rockford tweeters in that location.

they were able to tap into the subwoofer control so when i do get my subs in... (monday) aug 2nd i can control the level of my subs right on my nav screen.... pretty sweet right?? if you want more pics of anything.. let me know...

let me tell you.. i use to have to crank my volume all the way up so i can hear the music with the windows down.. now all i have to do is go up not even a quarter of the way and its banging..
Highly recommend.. and it keeps everything factory (surround is definitely improved... navi works like a charm.. )
Old 08-01-2004 | 02:38 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

ok let me get this straight. By you addin an amp for all your HIGHS.. the sorround still works? so meaning that the signals comming from radio to amp, are still into 6 channels? I wanted to just add an amp to boost volume up a bit. nothing HUGE.. but yes i blast my volume to 30 most of the time to listen to it. And dont let me tell you what you already know about having your windows open and going about 40 mph... cant hear shit.. so i just wanted to add an alpine V12 5 channel amp. but being 5 channels. one being for SUB.. that would just leave 4 channels for 2 front, 2 tweeters, center, and 2 rear..7 SPEAKERS!! how did u manage this. Can you be more into details on all the wiring please.. Thanks..

this is just somthing that i goes through my head. on how the sorround still works after its not comming from readio outputs, now its an amp... and how the sounds would get split 5.1 dolby.

i mean.. SH*T.. if it comes down to not working. F it........ before TL.. 5.1 didnt exist in cars, so wont matter...as long as it sounds clear.
Old 08-02-2004 | 08:41 PM
7th Gear

Hey people check out my site again... the link again is
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/slimsride23

I got my subs in!!

As for questions.. about the install..
Contact Action Auto Sound
(860) 667-6330
and mention the TL you saw.. and ask to speak to Mike
He'll give you all the information you need
Old 08-05-2004 | 09:02 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

hey, that metal thing against the seat behing the speakers, it your AMP?? that shit is HUGHE.....so is it a 5 channel amp? or are they 2 put together..?
Old 08-05-2004 | 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

there goes your trunk space
Old 08-05-2004 | 10:41 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Looks good man, Whats with the Rockford Fosgate? I have a very similair set up but quility products. I have 2 Memphis 12" M3s with a 1500 watt Memphis Amp , all MB Quartz interiors with a 600-4 Memphis amp powering them. I like the way your box looks though. Props on the install.
Old 08-05-2004 | 03:40 PM
7th Gear

The huge ass amp against my backseat is the amp that is powering the speakers inside the car. i went with a 4 channel amp its the rockford fosgate 800.4 I didn't really care about ampin the center channel..

ya i lost pretty much all my trunk space.. but who cares.. if you want a good sounding system you need a quality box. if you did something real custom those subs wouldn't fit .. the subs are gigantic. they made it easy to remove with a banana pin in the back.. so i can pull the box out and put it back in..

you got any pics of your install J RIDE??? sounds hot..
thanks for the feedback guys.. keep it coming
Old 08-05-2004 | 03:49 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by Slim23Dog

you got any pics of your install J RIDE??? sounds hot..
thanks for the feedback guys.. keep it coming
Slim,
I was wondering how yours sounded. I had to get my completly dynomated in the trunk because the car used to rattle a lot. The trunk no longer rattles but I find that the front of the car ( visor, headliner) still rattles. Do you have the same problem? Do you have any dyomate done on yours. Man I wish I can hear your set up.
Old 08-05-2004 | 03:49 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by J RIDE 81
Slim,
I was wondering how yours sounded. I had to get my completly dynomated in the trunk because the car used to rattle a lot. The trunk no longer rattles but I find that the front of the car ( visor, headliner) still rattles. Do you have the same problem? Do you have any dyomate done on yours. Man I wish I can hear your set up.

BTW, I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them.
Old 08-05-2004 | 03:59 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

I for one...don't get it...
I think the TL has a great sound system.
So now you are turning your TL into one of those obnoxious rides that you can hear from 2 blocks away?
Why would you want to do that?
Are you going to paint it metalic purple?
Do you hang dice from your rear view mirror?
Performance parts I can understand.
I don't get it...
Maybe it's my age? (48)
Maybe I like to hear the engine...
Whatever...
Old 08-05-2004 | 04:00 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Originally Posted by SBTL
I for one...don't get it...
I think the TL has a great sound system.
So now you are turning your TL into one of those obnoxious rides that you can hear from 2 blocks away?
Why would you want to do that?
Are you going to paint it metalic purple?
Do you hang dice from your rear view mirror.
Performance parts I can understand.
I don't get it...
Maybe it's my age? (48)
Maybe I like to hear the engine...
Whatever...

It's definetley your age buddy. Sorry. I get a kick out of people like you with their stares. No offense of course. Just the way I like it.
Old 08-05-2004 | 04:01 PM
100k miles club

nice!

that looks great

i wish i have the balls to do that with my TL. i get scared everytime i try to do something. i even bought the service manual. i really want to boost up the sounds but i'm a total noob when it comes to the wiring, amps, speakers, etc. i was ready to buy the jl audio e6450 amp but got worried that i might F something up lol. i got my monster cables already. argh, maybe one day lol. i'd take it to a stereo place but i don't like other people messing with my car and i would really like to learn how to do these things. so hopefully i see more pics and that may give me enough encouragement that, i too, can do it.
Old 08-05-2004 | 05:12 PM
7th Gear

hahahaha ya man its definitely your age.. i'm 23 years old. I have given the car a total makeover in the audio department. And it sounds great.

Ya i'm thinking about dynamating it soon.. once i get more money that is. The spoiler shakes like crazy. when i cranked the bass up real high.. i could see the windshield and back window fluctuate.. it was insane.

it definitely looks like i lowered my car in the back.. the box weighs like 150-200 lbs. the subs are just enormously big.

ya i know.. i dont usually trust others working on my cars.. but these people i go to.. alwasy give me the best prices.. saved me over 5gs on this whole project.. its not really having the balls man.. its more like do you want to do it.. or do you really wanna do it. it didn't mess up any functionality at all.. the surround is kick ass now.. so much better this way. the factory sub control works now with my new subs.. so i can turn them on and off when i need to. its just a car that the place said
"was meant to hook up".
Old 08-12-2004 | 06:17 PM
TX JD

Guys, don't just pick up the Service Manual, pick up the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for precise wiring diagrams. Output from audio system is simple (prehistoric) +/- wiring, not RCA cable to [/U]one[U] amp for all 6 channels, located in front kick panel, passenger side. Just cut out the channels you want to run to quality amps, install conversion to RCA, run Monster RCA cable to new amp(s), then decent speaker wire to new speakers. This is nothing new. All surround sound processing is apparently done in the audio unit in dash.
Old 08-12-2004 | 10:22 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Originally Posted by pdphill
Guys, don't just pick up the Service Manual, pick up the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual for precise wiring diagrams. Output from audio system is simple (prehistoric) +/- wiring, not RCA cable to [/U]one[U] amp for all 6 channels, located in front kick panel, passenger side. Just cut out the channels you want to run to quality amps, install conversion to RCA, run Monster RCA cable to new amp(s), then decent speaker wire to new speakers. This is nothing new. All surround sound processing is apparently done in the audio unit in dash.

wow finally. thats what i have been waiting to hear.

meaning that my 5 channel alpine will work beautifully for this. to get that bump with out that BUMP sound.. u know.. just little more.. maaaaaaaaaaaayybeee even a 10" sub.. or power the stock sub till it blows then the 10:..
Old 08-13-2004 | 01:43 AM
Drifting

Nice install....although it wouldn't be for me...I'd like to keep my hearing intact for another generation or so, but they really did an awesome job keeping the stock look of the car.
Old 08-13-2004 | 02:07 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

hahahaha ya man its definitely your age.. i'm 23 years old. I have given the car a total makeover in the audio department. And it sounds great.

Ya i'm thinking about dynamating it soon.. once i get more money that is. The spoiler shakes like crazy. when i cranked the bass up real high.. i could see the windshield and back window fluctuate.. it was insane.

it definitely looks like i lowered my car in the back.. the box weighs like 150-200 lbs. the subs are just enormously big.

ya i know.. i dont usually trust others working on my cars.. but these people i go to.. alwasy give me the best prices.. saved me over 5gs on this whole project.. its not really having the balls man.. its more like do you want to do it.. or do you really wanna do it. it didn't mess up any functionality at all.. the surround is kick ass now.. so much better this way. the factory sub control works now with my new subs.. so i can turn them on and off when i need to. its just a car that the place said
"was meant to hook up".

Nice set up dude. Just one concern for you is why don't you face the subs towards the seat or build a box so the sub will face upwards. This way, your rear will not rattle like crazy b/c outside rattles really distorts the base hearing it outside the car. My other question is do you find a big difference in sound quality changing all the mids and tweets?? From a scale of 1-10 what would rate the sound quality now???
Old 08-13-2004 | 12:22 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

"was meant to hook up".
Want a hot stock tip?
...Companies that make hearing aids!
Old 08-13-2004 | 12:32 PM
Team Nighthawk Director