View Poll Results: Have you had battery problems with your TL?
Have had problems with Delco battery
35.29%
Have not had problems with Delco battery
47.06%
Not to my knowledge
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Factory Delco battery problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Factory Delco battery problems!

Just wanted to find out how many people out there have had problems with there Delco batteries in there car. Mine is going bad, it hasn't died on me nor has it stranded me. But I picked up on it going bad due to the engine noise the stereo is starting to put out. Some days it doesn't do it at all, some times it will do it for just a little bit and then stop, and others it will do it the entire time I am in the car. It is a very low buzz in the stereo, doesn't go up in volume, but remains constant, but will increase in frequency as RPM increases. One of the keys functions of a car battery is to filter out a lot of this noise from the car. I know I have read other stories of the battery going kapoot on roadtrips and things like that. So as a warning to those with a Delco battery, I would see if your dealer will swap it for you.

This is something that seams to be fairly common. Just a FYI for others out there.

Jason
Old 08-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have yet to have a problem with the Delco (Delphi) battery in my TL but did experience problems in a 2000 Honda Oddyssey with the same brand of battery.

In the span of 3 years, I had 4 different occurance of finding the battery completely discharged to the point that I had to manually unlock the doors.

The battery never got replaced as the dealer never found anything wrong with it after doing several load tests.

I never did leave any lights on in the van and I was the only person using it.

Also, my experience with batteries in general points me to think that the battery in most modern cars is subjected to too much heat which will kill a battery in a short time frame as the acid becomes more agressive as temperature rises.

Most modern cars are designed to be aerodynamic but this causes the problem a heat building up in the engine compartment when the car is stopped and the engine shut off as there is no air circulation.

Do this little experiment, drive you car as you usually do and when you stop and park it put your hand on the hood to sense the temperature then snse it again 5 to 10 minutes after you have parked it. Not really scientific but you will notice that the heat as buildup, so imagine the battery in the engine compartment?

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-18-2006, 08:25 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds more like an alternator. Honestly...I have been working on vehicles for 40 years now....I have NEVER had a battery cause noise....nor have I ever heard of a battery with an electrical filter in it. Maybe I missed something new one night while I was asleep...
Old 08-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CobraGuy
That sounds more like an alternator. Honestly...I have been working on vehicles for 40 years now....I have NEVER had a battery cause noise....nor have I ever heard of a battery with an electrical filter in it. Maybe I missed something new one night while I was asleep...
The battery itself is the largest filter in the car. Its actually what smooths out the noise in the car. Its just happens to be a by product of the battery. I have been doing car stereo professionally for 9 years, and have seen a lot of problems due to batteries.

I did get the battery replaced this morning, there tester showed as a bad battery. It still had a green light and the car still started fine. There where signs of acid leakage along the top of battery rim. My main conern was being stuck some where because the battery just died.

And frech, this is entirely true, heat does more damage to a battery then cold, although everone tends to think its the cold weather that did there battery in. With the car being black as well it really doesn't help. I imagine it reaches anywhere from 150-200 degrees under the hood after shut down. Then to sit it out in the hot sun, we have an oven on our hands.

I just wanted to give a heads up on this, so that people are aware of the problem.

Jason
Old 08-21-2006, 01:29 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory battery died 1.5 yrs in...

I bought my TL on 3/23/05... Last week my factory battery left me stranded at a gas station. The dealer replaced the battery with no problem, but still it was a pain. The 100+ degree heat probably helped kill the battery, but it also killed my day to be out in it. I now have an 8 yr Interstate battery. The dealer definitely implied this happens all the time and acted like the factory batteries were junk.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2004 TL's factory battery started flaking out on me a few months ago. The engine had trouble turning over. Luckly I didn't end up being stuck on the road. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it. They said there was a defective cell in the battery.

Leo